Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I'm thinking about joining the airforce or the navy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been around the Navy all of my life. My dad was in when I was a kid and he made it a career. All I wanted to do in life was be in the navy because I liked the comrodery. I love aircraft and by damn it they had them as well so I went into workin with aircraft. I can tell you right now my first two yrs sucked because I was the low man on the big list of people to deal with. It took me alittle while to find my place and work it. I was close to wanting to get out because I was listening to all the whiners say "this sucks" and "man I cant wait to get out". After awhile that gets too ya but I had a little girl and that got me back to thinking in the right direction. After those two yrs I really started liking my job then loving my job. Now that I'm in a forward deployed status I'm missing my wife and kids like hell but I can tell you I still love the navy. Anywho you need to ask yourself what you want and what you look to gain out of this. Have a set of goals that are challenging and attainable. But you should do this with which ever branch you decide to go with. I've been in the navy now 12 yrs as of july and I dont regret any of it.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Default Rotc

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
also, I would love to become an officer... but I know that I cant finish school before I join the military.

Look into ROTC and have the AF help you pay for the rest of your College? Every Officer I talk to say the best way to go office is through the ROTC. Talk to a Recruiter for officers and find out some more options, and yes you can still get a garunted job just becarful for what you wish for. All the Enlisted flying jobs are in short demand too, and have great benifits as well. 1A*** AFSC's
Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bc even if I do finish my marketing degree. I'm not sure if I'll actually "use" it. And yes the military will help me financially, not sure why/how it wouldnt? My brother was in a shitty spot a few yrs back. and it helped him out. I think he's already an e6 and has only been in for 5 yrs IIRC. I'm a smart guy. Given the oppurtunities. I believe I can excel in the military/make a career out of it.
I didnt come in here to try to have people help me decide if I should go in the military or not. I can decide that on my own. Just trying to get some opinions/hear some experiences of some of the people that are in the navy/AF.
I totally understand that.

To put it in perspective:

When I joined in '98, I started out as an E-3, living in the dorms, with no compensation other than the base pay, and could BARELY pay my car payment and ONE credit card that I have. Base pay is taxable, so it left me with like $500 on the 1st and 15th BEFORE the bills. Don't forget about phone for your room, cable for your room etc etc etc. IF you live OFF base, it's even worse, unless you have a "Roommate". Then any kind of entertainment that you wanted to do in your off duty time.

If you've got more than that + plus student loans, it will be really tough. It was on me and I had "help" from my parents. IT wasn't until I was 4+ years in, and a SSGt (E5) that it finally became "comfortable" to live and work.

BEcause of my financial situation, I was usually required to attend one of those mandatory financial "help" classes. If the commander gets involved with personal money issues, your career could take the perverbial ****. Good luck advancing with that on your record! The military WILL hlep you out, but nothing is free. You have to have permission from the chain of command to take an "Advance" on your paycheck, then they deduct that same amount from your check to pay it back. I'm not sure what the regs are, but I think you've got like 12 months to pay that amount back. Which will usually put you in a BIGGER hole if you can't straighten it back out with creditors and such.

Well, that was my experience. I had quite a few friends that are junior enlisted (E1 - E4) and they have had the same problems, and STILL Have the same problems. This is why I asked you WHY you wanted to join, and if it was for financial reasons, it was going in the wrong direction.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Im in the Army and I used to date a chick in the airforce who was stationed in Alaska and They have way way better Barracks and Chow halls compaired to the Army. But I also know the Airforce is cutting alot of jobs (rumor has it that the Airforce is joining back up with the Army again so all the jobs that the airforce have that the Army as also are getting scrubbed).
My step dad was in the Navy and liked it for the most part but we ended up living right next to Vandenburg Air Force Base CALI for 8 years and the Airforce just seem much more relaxed then the other branches
Old 03-08-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Splitz
I totally understand that.

To put it in perspective:

When I joined in '98, I started out as an E-3, living in the dorms, with no compensation other than the base pay, and could BARELY pay my car payment and ONE credit card that I have. Base pay is taxable, so it left me with like $500 on the 1st and 15th BEFORE the bills. Don't forget about phone for your room, cable for your room etc etc etc. IF you live OFF base, it's even worse, unless you have a "Roommate". Then any kind of entertainment that you wanted to do in your off duty time.

If you've got more than that + plus student loans, it will be really tough. It was on me and I had "help" from my parents. IT wasn't until I was 4+ years in, and a SSGt (E5) that it finally became "comfortable" to live and work.

BEcause of my financial situation, I was usually required to attend one of those mandatory financial "help" classes. If the commander gets involved with personal money issues, your career could take the perverbial ****. Good luck advancing with that on your record! The military WILL hlep you out, but nothing is free. You have to have permission from the chain of command to take an "Advance" on your paycheck, then they deduct that same amount from your check to pay it back. I'm not sure what the regs are, but I think you've got like 12 months to pay that amount back. Which will usually put you in a BIGGER hole if you can't straighten it back out with creditors and such.

Well, that was my experience. I had quite a few friends that are junior enlisted (E1 - E4) and they have had the same problems, and STILL Have the same problems. This is why I asked you WHY you wanted to join, and if it was for financial reasons, it was going in the wrong direction.
Well luckily. I dont think im in quite the "financial situation" that you think I am. I have a small car payment and one Credit card that isnt paid off. If I can pay my bills working ~20hrs a week detailing cars. I think I can pay my bills while working in the military. One of my other main reasons is for medical benifits etc... Im turning 23 in may. So I will no longer be insured under my parents. God forbid something happens to me after that.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a good scope of your options.

Option #1, (and I think this is the best option), you are close to your college degree if you are 60-70 credit hours down. You don't need a specific Bachelors degree to become an officer, just a degree, period. I have been in the AF 4 years, and just got my BS degree and now just got accepted into a pilot position (so I will become an officer from enlisted). Officer life is what its all about, weather your in the AF or the Navy. It would well be worth the sacrifice you will need to make to get a few more full time years of college out of the way, or even consider another route like ROTC, or similar commissioning programs with the Navy. Even though you will have options such as I did when I came in enlisted to finish college and then go officer, it is not garunteed that you will have enough time to go to school quick enough to get that degree out of the way in the same time that you would if you did it on your own. Officer is attainable in both branches, and it sounds like you already know that this would be something you really want, so why not just go all out for it? There are student loanes available or lots of other scholorships that also should be considered on this.

Option#2. Both the Navy and the Air Force will and can garuntee you jobs. You just have to be specific with the recruiter as they will try to fill you in a position that they need first, and then whats available. Find out what is actually available, and then throw it up on the board and get some outside info first before you let the recruiter talk you into something that may be way off what he or she is telling you as they will lie. If you are given a job though, you will be garunteed it as long as you succeed and don't fail any part of your training. If you do, then you will be hosed into whatever career either the Navy or AF needs the most (which ends up being usually the worst and hardest to fill jobs like a cop or a cook). Knowing this, choosing jobs with high wash out rates like PJ, SERE, Airborne Linguist or similar in the Navy with high wash out rates will not start you into something that has good chances. Get something you know for a fact you will succeed at, or something where the wash out rate is well below 50%.

85% on the ASVAB is not bad, and can get you into most jobs. If you are interested in the officer route though, you'll need to take the AFOQT or Navy similar. There are many books available to help you study for this, and like the ASVAB you can only take it twice so you need to be prepared to do your best.

Being a flyer for the AF, I have seen up close and personal the lives all of the other branches live, both in their job environments, bases, deployments, and have talked to multiple seaman, sailors, troops, officers, warrant officers, marines, and AF perssonell, and I will tell you all of them can be rewarding to certain individuals. Personally I think the AF has it the easiest. Its definatly best on the home life unless you get into certain career fields like AFSOC or some of the more committing jobs. The Navy would definatly be second best IMO. You will be gone for lengths of time with both, and in places all over the world. Most AF jobs deploy for 4-6 months at a time. Some for more, some for less. Navy seems to do 6 month "tours", and most of them seem to be on boats.

Really read up on info available to you. Your Mom and Dad are great resources. People on this forum are also great resources as we are currently in the different branches and know what life is like right now. Just sit down and think about what you really want, and what is attainable more than what is an easy fix right now, and you will make the right decision.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Where are all these hot women in the Air Force? I keep banging the wookies! WTF?

-justin

+1

... enlist for 4 if you join... don't do 6! Whatever you do, you may find you either completely hate it, ...-justin

+1 again!!!!

1.5 years left till I peace out and I can't wait.

Oh and if you join the AF, pretty much prepare yourself for 6-8 month deployments in the sandbox. You can pretty much forget about that 4 month ****, them days are over.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rob M

Oh and if you join the AF, pretty much prepare yourself for 6-8 month deployments in the sandbox. You can pretty much forget about that 4 month ****, them days are over.
It depends on what AFSC. Most see 4-6 month deployments. But not everyone deployes as most might think, or some for not as long. My AFSC only deploys for 60 days once a year, even through all of basic they kept harping on how hard life would be when we were away from our families in a combat zone for huge long periods of time. Now I look back on that and laugh.

There are some AFSC's that deployments are long for, but most are just 4-6 month deployments.

Long deployments of 8+ months pretty much belong to the Army. Not too many airman in the AF deploy for those periods of time or longer.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackLM7
I agree....but I'm biased. Most people will say they like the branch they're currently in. Make your decision based on people who are NOT happy with their branch. Find out why they are not happy and you'll be able to decide then.
Oh yes, you should def. ask me then.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
...but most are just 4-6 month deployments.

Not if you're attachted to an MTD (medium truck detachtment, aka Convoy unit) Officer or enlisted doesn't matter. And also CALL911 if you've read the "Air Force Times" in the last year and half you would have come across multiple articles about just that (longer AF deployments across the board. ), Regardless of AFSC

Just remember kids...

Last edited by Rob M; 03-09-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

There are certain AFSC's that will not change deployments reguardless. I know for a fact mine can't and won't. Due to currencies needed alone, you'll never have my AFSC deploy for more than 60 days. It simply won't ever happen. Then you have different units like C-130's that deploy constantly for 4 months on then have 4 months off. Thats not changing either. There's so many different variables, and AFSC's that as a whole you can't say "everyone" is going to be deploying more just because you read that accross the board there would be longer deployments.

Besides, it seems likely that whoever wins this next elections top priority will be to end the conflict in Iraq soon and get our men and woman home. Now, those of you that are like me and can see that abrubtly ending the current situation and pulling the vast majority of our troops out will not have good lasting results for the region understand that this is not wise. But its what most candidates are putting at the top of their priority list, and if they hold true to it, we may not be seeing these longer deployments in the end.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Ha ha, if they yank us out real fast we'll just be setting ourselves up to go back over there to police once again
Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pneumothorax
Ha ha, if they yank us out real fast we'll just be setting ourselves up to go back over there to police once again
I think it may end up much worse than that, but all of that is out of our control.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Splitz
WHY is it becoming a reality?

IF you are already financially troubled, joining the military will not help the situation, will make it FAR more problems.

WHY do you want to join the military? And don't say "To Serve My Country", I've head that to many times, and it's 99.9999% false when somebody says that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to get you to realize WHY you want to join.
im joined to serve my country. but thats not the only reason, i want an adventure and get out in the world and do it on my own. i dont have any bills (except for car insurance) so i think ill have a good opportunity to save money. i guess im part of that .9999%
Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Where are all these hot women in the Air Force? I keep banging the wookies! WTF?

-justin
that's your fault. probably had too much to drink and thought they were hot, then realized in the morning that they were wookies...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

agreed. ive been in the marines now for over 5 years and the a/f does get the best ****. im an instructor here in pensacola florida and the a/f gets extra money becuase the living quarters arnt "up to thier standards"

Originally Posted by djfury05
go with AF.. they get all the best ****
Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

I've kind of thought about this for a few yrs off and on. But I think its quickly becoming a reality that I need to join. Before I go off and see recruiters. I thought i'd get some opinions from you guys. I personally would prefer joining the airforce, but last I checked, they dont have gauranteed jobs anymore. I really dont want to swear in and get stuck with some **** job. I took the asvab once when I almost joined the military and got an 85(they said it was good, but I also know they say what you want to hear ) Anyways, my question to you guys. Is how did you decide which branch to join? and do you have any regrets?
by the way, my dad, mom, and stepmom are all retired airforce. My brother is currently in the navy.
also i have about 70-80 college credits... that will likely start me out as a e2?
any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Patrick.
AF all the way!!! I'm 3rd Generation both sides of the family myself. Thats probalby why I went AF lol. Ur job will always be garunteed, you just have to pick what you want to be. Plus any job you have will differ in duties depending on ur base and a lot of other factors. Just depends though man, just do what you think is best. Talk to your brother too. Get his opinions. Thats my advice to ya.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
that's your fault. probably had too much to drink and thought they were hot, then realized in the morning that they were wookies...
LOL!!! Good point! The hot ones are around, but most of them seem to be Lt's!!! So if your enlisted, ur screwed! Unless your a complete dumbass! Anyways, yea the girls are around, but I suggest that the guy doesn't get wasted before deciding if their hot or not lol!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

you can join my gun club if you really want a challenge
Old 04-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waller38
LOL!!! Good point! The hot ones are around, but most of them seem to be Lt's!!! So if your enlisted, ur screwed! Unless your a complete dumbass! Anyways, yea the girls are around, but I suggest that the guy doesn't get wasted before deciding if their hot or not lol!!!
Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
I never hang around base anyways, it was just a joke.

Base is literally just work, i live almost an hour away from base and love it...

-justin

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about joining the airforce or the navy...