Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

IA Duty... Got questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IA Duty... Got questions.

Okay for some of you that don't know what IA stands for. It is Individual augmentee. Sailors go TAD for 8-14 months, over to the desert, or were ever they need you.

I have been thinking about doing this for quiet some time now. I am at a place in my career that I need all the help I can get with advancement. And not only that, but the place I am currently stationed really sucks the big one.

I am an Engineer stuck working with a bunch of Air force wannabee's. VQ-2 Squadron. They fly the P-3's. I am not trying to hate on some of you guys, if there are any of you out there, but the people I work with are so damn retarded. It gets old quick. Most of them don't even know what the real navy is about. I have been stationed on ships pretty much 85% of my career, took a shore duty billet to ACU-4 in Little Creek Va, and now I am here for my Sea duty billet. But will never ever go underway with them. Because I am out of rate.

Well enough about that. I tried doing a duty swap, and that got **** canned. So now I am looking at possible IA duty's.

For those of you that have served over seas with an IA,

What are your thoughts on it?

Engineers, is there places over there for them? Or is it pretty much spread out, and you go were they need the troops?

How were they, compared to what you are use too?

Did they get treated the same as the people in your branch of service?

Were where you located over there? And how often did you and your fellow IA members get injured, shot upon, or even worse, Killed in the line of duty?

Other than doing your everyday routine, what things were you guys able to do?

I am just trying to find as much info as possible, and I figured I would ask the people that were over there. I asked my command but they always give me the (I don't know) answer. Or, well talk to this guy, and then go talk to this guy... So I figured I would go directly to the source.

If you want or need more info about who I am or what I do, just ask.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to NKO and look under the "if you are an individual augmentee, and deploying click here". There is a question/answer forum there where you can get inputs from people who have been/will be IA's.

First of all when you are going through NMPS and ECRC be prepared to deal with some nonsense.

I was an IA from June 07-January 08 at Al Asad air base in Iraq. I am an AZ, but I basically did the job of an AC/OS.

It was a good experience getting to interact with all the different communities in the Navy, and all the other Branches, and I would definitely do it again.

No matter what your rate is, you will basically get sent over there to fill a billet as needed. I only saw a few people from my IA unit of 149 sailors actually working somewhat "in-rate". I did base operations / flight planning / scheduling.

I could basically compare it to a squadron (depending on your duty) as far as the comraderie thing goes, but not everyone gets the same type of assignment. We have a guy leaving here now to do Detainee op's, and life will not be the same there as it was for me working at a command/control cell. I'm not really able to comment on every different IA, because they really have them doing a-lot of different missions.

I was treated very well by everyone I interacted with while I was there (between all the services). My unit consisted of mainly Navy, but we had a few Army and Air Force people as well.

We never came under any direct fire where I was at, but that is never out of the question while you are there, and different places have different threats. Anything can happen anywhere, so you can't be complacent, even if you are in a "safe" zone.

Besides my job, I mainly PT'ed and chilled in my trailer. Some places will have MWR facilities, some will not. I can't comment on every other base/station, because I was only at Al Asad. I saw a few other bases, and the Air force bases were always the nicest. R&R in Qatar was nice, lol.

Sorry if this didn't help. If you have any other question's, feel free to ask.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

I have been doing alot of reading on NKO. But really, they don't answer the questions I really am looking for. It seems like whenever some one has a question, it gets answered half ***'d. And the question and answer page, really is the same way as the forums. lol

Thanks for the inputs though. How long were you over there?

Anybody else?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

6 months and some change in theatre, and a little less than a month and a half training (Ft. Dix, NJ)

NKO is pretty half ***, and that was all I had to go with. Hopefully you can find some more clear answers.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Lol. Yeah. I really have been wanting to do it, and I finally got my wife on board to letting me vol... So we will see. I need to make some money some how to pay for next years mods!!!! ha ha.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

I did an IA last year. I was attached to the MNSTC-I Naval Transition Team in South Iraq (Umm Qasr). I enjoyed it and its a joint command (British). See if you can get there, i bet you will enjoy it, there were USN And British Navy Engineers, Boatsmen, etc although i was one of 2 US Marines there it was a great experience. And will definitely look good for promotions
Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im on IA in Iraq right now.. Half my squadron is on IA..

I have Aol instant messanger and Yahoo messanger.. same as my name here..

Ill answer anything you want..

Quick Reply: IA Duty... Got questions.