Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Questions about the Service Members Civil Relief Act

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about the Service Members Civil Relief Act

Alright, here is a hypothetical question/scenario.

The newer SCRA allows service members already serving on active duty who are leasing their car the option to turn it in without paying any early termination fee. This is if the service member comes under either overseas or deployment orders taking him/her overseas for greater than 180 days.

Now i know that some dealerships based on my "google" research require service members to sign a waiver, basically taking away that entitlement. (bogus).

To my point.... What is to stop Private Snuffy from Trading in a car that he is upside down on for a lease, knowing in the back of his head that deployment orders are on the horizon. Therefore, when he receives the deployment orders, he then turns the lease back in under the SCRA effectively getting scott free out of the "upside down" status and a car payment while overseas. All he will bite is "higher" than average lease payments as the upside down portion of his trade in is calculated into the lease payments. No biggie for a couple months to save thousands...

Any of you NCO's, PO's or O's have any experience with the SCRA and auto leases?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try running that by the legal office, and get their purview of your scenario you propose.

Quick Reply: Questions about the Service Members Civil Relief Act