Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I volunteered for Iraq and I need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can tell you as a CA you are really safe, you will have grunts pulling security for you while yall do your works so really all you have to worry about is IEDs to and from your locations. The gloves are a bad idea trust me they are nice to have but they lasted me about 3 weeks before i had holes in them and they started ripping at the seams and my soldiers had the same problem. Now we were rolling every day, and did raids almost every night so that made it wear out faster but they are alot of money for some thing that did not last a month. I used the nomex because they were cheap and worked just fine. I agree with every one about waiting to see where you are going to be you might be on a big FOB or you might be on a J-COB and you will just have to see what you have as far as room. Our PS3s and xbox 360s that the unit got us all broke really fast becuase of the dust and ****. Just make sure you keep your weapon clean, since you are not going to be there for very long just plan on having enought to pay off your bills, I don't think you will be able to get enough to pay them off and buy a car but you never know. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Well after the weekend everything was supposed to be set but now it's looking like I won't be going like I wanted to. It's fucken bullshit that I can't go when I want to... it's a damn war. Why is this so damn complicated. No ones picking up the phone, calling me back or any damn thing!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
I do pay rent though. I live in a room at my moms friends house and just pay her like $100 bucks a month cuz I don't even shower there. I'm going to have her write up a rent aggreement before I leave. I don't know how any of that is false...

I wasn't trying to infer that you were falsifying rental status, sorry if it appeared that way.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I was getting a few weeks ago:
SAVE PAY, 100.00
HFP/IDP, 225.00
COLA, 466.24
FSH, 250.00

plus no taxes withheld.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Tenured Member

As a reservist you should be able to collect a bah thats bassed off your zip code. I know I do right now as a lcpl in the Marines. Just get a good computer and a nice long game. Ive bought 3 games total before i deployed and am still playing one of em when i get time off from patrols and ****. Dont buy extra gear to bring gear queers are gay they have everything and use nothing. Get a nice multi tool and a knife. Keep calling your contact # with the unit I found out I was being activated 3 days prior to.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

I am still battling for orders, I have gotten NONE. I am playing phone tag with CA in Fort Bragg and can't seem to get anywhere in this volunteer game. The HRC web sit that says volunteer psh that takes forever...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
I am still battling for orders, I have gotten NONE. I am playing phone tag with CA in Fort Bragg and can't seem to get anywhere in this volunteer game. The HRC web sit that says volunteer psh that takes forever...
So... you WANT to go, and there are plenty of people trying to get out of it. Interesting.

God bless you.

Honestly, if you're not a grunt, you shouldn't need all that much. A more reliable rifle would probably save you worlds of trouble, but socks and sunglasses are very, very important.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

I've been on a volunteer list to go back for almost 3years, I'm going next year, but only because my unit is going, whether I wanted to or not.

About getting your E5, give it a shot, but keep in mind, you've only got two years in.

I too am a reservist. You will get BAH. I wasn't aware anyone was getting 750 for hostile fire. I only got 225 a month in 2005-2006.

The best advice I can give is, pack light. I seen fools bring foot lockers and multiple bags...there is no baggage detail. You carry what you bring....and that could be quite a distance. Just bring your TA-50, uniforms, hygein, maybe a lab top, and the rest can be mailed to you.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Oh and as far as PT, every unit does it there own way. Some units did it organized and some just left it up to the soldiers. PT will definatly be available though, since most FOBs established a gym, and of course there isn't anything like taking a nice little run around the fob in 110 degrees.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If your in the reserves

Than just call KBR, triple canopy, dynacorp go as a civilian and make double your military pay and than you can also buy a 50,000 car cash. And take your uniform and drill the weekends in iraq!! Hate to say it or go for 4 months and come back home and be caught up on your bills. Than go active HOOAH
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

good luck to you!! i hope they stop ******* around with you. i also hope you dont get camp cropper by biap. thats would suck. one of the biggest missions in iraq right now is detainee operations, so i hope you dont get that. i mean if you want something that is easy and not dangerous than thats what you want. you never leave the base. im an E-4 and paid all of my bills while i was there taking care of my wife, and still returned with more than 20,000. keep us updated.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

I completly agree with the guys telling you not to buy a bunch of stuff. Have a book to bring with you on the plane rides, and maybe some tunes. You will be able to find MANY books over there at the firm bases, so just bring one or two. If you absolutly want to buy some things (you really don't need to), buy a bigger "day pack" for the movement to Iraq through Kuwait and the like. That way you keep clothes to change into and hygene gear ect. Can't speak for the Army issue ones, but the newer USMC ones are TINY. Other than that, just use the stuff issued. Most you should really spend on stuff before hand is $250. That might even be overkill. I think it is hilarious when you get on the parade deck to deploy, and you see all these guys standing around looking like they just stepped out of a Blackhawk Catalog. One other thing that might be worth it is one of those "miners lamps" that you can hook around your head that has a red light, just for moving around the camps and stuff. Other than that, don't buy ****. You really don't need the stuff I just mentioned, it is just easier. Some guys if they can get away with it just mail stuff to themselves the day before they deploy, just so they don't have to carry all of it.

Quick Reply: I volunteered for Iraq and I need some help...