Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking about the Air Force

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Its been considered by MANY to be the hardest school in the entire Armed Forces. Not only are you learning tactical but you also have to learn life saving. If he's an EMT, he's already a huge jump ahead of an entire class of people.

I've worked with several people in SOCOM, and they are by far the one group of guys that I prefer not to **** off they will recieve SCUBA/HALO/Jump wings and they will learn fast rope and about 20 million other things that only AFSOC can provide

Demand on the outside is HUGE! Places like Oregon and Cali crave these people like its nobodies business. Hell, depending on where he got stationed (if he received his maroon beret) he would be doing 90% civilian airlift anyways.

Keep in mind, I think 90% of the receivers of the AF Cross (2nd highest decoration outside the MOH) have been PJ's. If you wanna see them in "action" in a movie watch, Perfect Storm and Blackhawk down.
When I was in the AF I was a helo crew chief so naturally we were always with the PJs. Let me tell you most of the PJs I met over the years are pretty hardcore but are some of the craziest and laid back guys you'll ever meet.

And you are right about civilian rescues. My first base was at Holloman....we did a lot of civilian rescues/medevacs (lost hikers and stuff like that). I knew people stationed at the 56th RQS in Iceland and they saved a bunch of lost fishermen at sea over the years. The locals loved them there.

Blackhawk Down....I thought they were Combat Controllers and not PJs. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vee 6
When I was in the AF I was a helo crew chief so naturally we were always with the PJs. Let me tell you most of the PJs I met over the years are pretty hardcore but are some of the craziest and laid back guys you'll ever meet.

And you are right about civilian rescues. My first base was at Holloman....we did a lot of civilian rescues/medevacs (lost hikers and stuff like that). I knew people stationed at the 56th RQS in Iceland and they saved a bunch of lost fishermen at sea over the years. The locals loved them there.

Blackhawk Down....I thought they were Combat Controllers and not PJs. I could be wrong though.

While there were CCT during that conflict, none of them are represented in the movie.

Watch the part after the 1st blackhawk is shot down and the ppl get off the smaller helo and tell Sgt Evinworth they need to move the Delta Force guy now or he was going to die. Then later on they show two guys setting up IV's in the helo and he says something along the lines of "and next guys I'll set you up with margarita's" or somethin like that. One of those is representing MSgt Wilkinson, last AF Cross reciepient that was still alive to recieve it.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just join the "regular" AF. Seems like you've got your head on straight, and won't fall into the lies that a majority of recruiters spout off to kids straight out of H.S. My wife is a 4NO. It's pretty chill. If you really like it you can go to IDMT school which is like a wartime PA type of a job. But, just to let you know, you will probably end up being a med tech in a small family practice clinic for a majority of your career.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Just join the "regular" AF. Seems like you've got your head on straight, and won't fall into the lies that a majority of recruiters spout off to kids straight out of H.S. My wife is a 4NO. It's pretty chill. If you really like it you can go to IDMT school which is like a wartime PA type of a job. But, just to let you know, you will probably end up being a med tech in a small family practice clinic for a majority of your career.
Its that type of attitude I had to FIGHT to change in the minds of our sister service members while in a joint environment....that we all just look for the "cushy way" out of things so we can work office hours. He should be striving to be the best that he can be and push himself to his limits to find it. If he ends up as a 4N0, then so be it...not like if he washed out of INDOC or even the pipeline he couldn't go do it.

Last edited by BigT2002; 07-03-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have JOINED the marines then hero.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the Air Force