Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF asleep on post...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I don't work on a nuclear base. It already sucks for them, it's just going to be worse now.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it doesn't take 7hours to get to the silo's. for the 3 missile wings and the Airman who bust their asses day in and day out for 16 straight hours in sub-zero temperatures , thank you for the blanket of freedom our Minute Man III Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles provide

former 91st MechShop Team Chief
coldest i had ever seen in Minot.. -60 for 3days then it warmed up to -30 after the wind stopped blowing

Last edited by hawk584; 07-26-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk584

former 91st MechShop Team Chief
coldest i had ever seen in Minot.. -60 for 3days then it warmed up to -30 after the wind stopped blowing
Jesus Christ, maybe they froze to death and they just thought they were sleeping.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1313of1600
I just want to say FU to all of you who are saying that the Military is getting " TOO RELAXED". Every single branch of the Armed Forces are streched very thin right now and we are doing twice the work with half the people, which means that for everyone of you who are sitting there right now in your nice little AC'ed cubicales at work from 9 to 5, why dont you all try going into work at 5AM for 3 days working 12 hour shifts, then switch it up to 5PM for 3 days working 12 hour shifts and you tell me that your circadian rythem isnt really screwed up. Second of all yes we are hearing alot about the AF because of the Nuke issue a while back. I do remember hearing alot about the Army and their attention to detail when they shot one of their own guy a couple years ago(Patt Tillman). I also remember hearing alot about the Navy and their lax security after the USS Cole was blown up.
So with all that being said every single branch has had its share of mistakes in the past and they have all learned form them. Now its the AF's turn to learn from them, not sit here and take a pounding from the peanut gallery. Every branch has heard enough from all of you who love standing outside of the post's, base's, and installations protesting the war. If your not willing to stand behind our troops, here's a f'ing great idea, try standing in front of them! Or even a better idea, if you dont like the way things are going, go sign up, put your money where your mouth is and change things. Or how about this why dont you talk to you Senator or Congressmen, you elected them and they speak on your behalf. If by chance your Senator or Congressmen is a tool, or and idiot, and they arnt trying to change things, then chances are you are the tool or idiot that elected them and its your fault anyway.
Final thought, i would never put down another branch of the Military or talk down about them, we have all made mistakes and learned form them, we have to have each others back. God knows that the media and the public doesn't. Lets skick up for each other and not put each other down for our mistakes.
Here is what I'm wondering....where are you to talk about other branches? let alone your own? These guys on here are probably the most repectful when it comes to talk about our sister services. However, many don't understand the mentality we have and we don't with theres. There is a reason for that....our missions are different. Outside of the Navy, the ground troops don't deal with nuclear weapons and/or ICBM's. But that doesn't excuse the fact that these guys fell asleep while technically on shift. I've worked shift work for the last 4 years, and yes its HARD to do but I'm able to switch my body out because 1) I'm a healthy male and 2) its honestly not that hard to adjust your sleep cycle.

I'm still a little curious as to why this came out...but I think it was just because HQ AF decided they would rather put it out there now and then have some AP reporter find out about it and publish it weeks/months later and make us look like even bigger fools. Props to the guys for at least admitting they fell asleep to their CC. If it wouldn't have been for that....probably wouldn't of been caught.

Originally Posted by Malicious
Glad I don't work on a nuclear base. It already sucks for them, it's just going to be worse now.
I know quite a few ppl there and some other places and its not easy but they aren't taking the blunt of the ammo being fired at them. They failed their UN Inspection, but passed the NSI a few months before. That alone made our IG's look like *** as well. Wynn finally admitted his last thing he was going to do was bring SAC back in order to one USAF 4-star in charge of the nuclear weapons and assets. ACC still has its hands full and honestly this just shows what they did in '92, while it was necessary, wasn't the answer to merge SAC and TAC together.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:31 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT2002
I'm still a little curious as to why this came out...but I think it was just because HQ AF decided they would rather put it out there now and then have some AP reporter find out about it and publish it weeks/months later and make us look like even bigger fools. Props to the guys for at least admitting they fell asleep to their CC. If it wouldn't have been for that....probably wouldn't of been caught.
I was also wondering how in the hell was this released to the public?

Lowest possible level? I guess we forgot that.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Teching In

this is just media hopping on the recent screw ups from the AF. no kind of security issues would have came from this....the silos have beds in there for them to sleep in. people make jokes about the Lts that sleep in there together.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

silo's dont have beds. there are rooms to sleep in when they are not on shift

Last edited by hawk584; 07-28-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Teching In

yea thats what i meant. i dont understand the big deal about them falling asleep except the dereliction of duty part...its not like if we needed to counter nuke someone the other 8,000 nukes wouldnt have flown
Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

got to love redundancy
Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I salute those who sit in silos all day and stay awake. After being in a silo that long it must get boring but havin someone catch some z's while someone else keeps watch and stays alert is not so wrong. Now all 3 sleeping is retarded. As for the Nuke part..... It sucks it was involving nukes but in the event that those missiles needed to be launched we would be worried about a lot worse things like what is headed towards us. If you see missiles shooting out of the ground and there is alot of them headed in the same direction than you might want to run....Just my .02.... I just believe handling this at the lowest level would have been the best course of action..... But maybe the Air Force in some way wanted this attention. I mean they just fired the two highest individuals in the AF so what a shakeup...This was maybe a good way to shine the light on a problem that they want taken more seriously.... The AF has a funny way of pointing the light on things they want fixed.....
Old 07-31-2008, 05:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Coy
I was also wondering how in the hell was this released to the public?

Lowest possible level? I guess we forgot that.

I spoke with my PA here about why it would be released and they said it was better it come out in an official statement than to have someone find out from word of mouth (say some SFS guy out there who busted them and gave em **** in the bar one night and then it passes from there). Then it looks like we are hiding something from the general public which isn't a good thing to have accusations of.

Originally Posted by AFjoe
yea thats what i meant. i dont understand the big deal about them falling asleep except the dereliction of duty part...its not like if we needed to counter nuke someone the other 8,000 nukes wouldnt have flown
Thats not the point though. They fell asleep with the thing that puts the codes into the silos so they can be controlled. Granted it was outdated, its still the fastest way to go to jail. I highly doubt anyone would of been able to get to where they were at anyways, but its still the fact its something that is preached left and right when it comes to COMSEC. All they had to do was let one guy stay awake, or even the 4th person who didn't go with them, to hold onto it and this wouldn't of even been a story.

Originally Posted by usafcrewchief01
I salute those who sit in silos all day and stay awake. After being in a silo that long it must get boring but havin someone catch some z's while someone else keeps watch and stays alert is not so wrong. Now all 3 sleeping is retarded. As for the Nuke part..... It sucks it was involving nukes but in the event that those missiles needed to be launched we would be worried about a lot worse things like what is headed towards us. If you see missiles shooting out of the ground and there is alot of them headed in the same direction than you might want to run....Just my .02.... I just believe handling this at the lowest level would have been the best course of action..... But maybe the Air Force in some way wanted this attention. I mean they just fired the two highest individuals in the AF so what a shakeup...This was maybe a good way to shine the light on a problem that they want taken more seriously.... The AF has a funny way of pointing the light on things they want fixed.....
Point taken, but they reported this to their Commander as they were directed. Its a whole different ball game when your talking about PL1 assets. Not like they lost a tool or ducked out of work early to get some food or something. Nuclear weapons leave no room for error.

What we theorized here was they fell asleep in the house topside and one of the cops on patrol was doing a check and busted them. When they woke up and realized what they did, they just kind of blew it off and thanked god no one was there to see them. As they were getting on the helo and/or truck some cop was giving them crap about sleeping. At that point someone outside of the 3 knew it and it was either report it or have them find out in another way.

....Or they actually showed the rest of the AF what integrity really is. (cues music)
Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by crazylane
And exactly what was your point??? Dude you have no idea what hard work is.. Try being 6 and 6 for 9 in half months in 134+ heat and still manage to work an 8 hour day...... Then once you do that, then come cry on here about being 12 and 12... Until then sit down, and shut the **** up!!!!

You said EVERYSINGLE branch of the service is over manned, I was just stating that we arn't.. Who said my job was easy?? Do you know what I do for a living??? Was I at work at the time of posting to your statement??? But since you don't know, you automatically assume I am sitting there waisting the Tax payers dime..

How was the ship's crew suppose to stop them??? Spray 150 pounds of pure salt water at there craft, and hope that it would scare them to take off in another direction??? Or were they suppose to go against the ROE, and then be in a bigger mess than what they allready were in??? It didn't matter what size the craft was that caused the mess... Were we in a time of war when that happened??? Was the place known to be a RED FLAGGED PORT???

wow. where the hell do you get 134+ degree heat for 9 and a half months straight....
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if it was COMSEC it must have required TPI. The stuff must have been double wrapped if they were transporting it, or at least I hope so. I mean that is the same thourghout the Military and the government. I dealt with a bunch of COMSEC having been a Trident Submarine radioman for a 11 years. Not sure why they fell asleep but you just don't do it, it you have the crypto out.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
wow. where the hell do you get 134+ degree heat for 9 and a half months straight....
When I was stationed on the USS Nassau LHA-4. It was a steamer. I worked in MM1... 134 Was a good day too.

The thing is, after it is 100* they have to have a rover go through the spaces and check the heat. But they always checked were the ventilation was coming out, not actually were our watches were at..
Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by crazylane
When I was stationed on the USS Nassau LHA-4. It was a steamer. I worked in MM1... 134 Was a good day too.

The thing is, after it is 100* they have to have a rover go through the spaces and check the heat. But they always checked were the ventilation was coming out, not actually were our watches were at..
whenever our equipment is turned on we need cooling air, otherwise it would be just as hot on our plane....it sucks when the cooling air isn't on.

Quick Reply: AF asleep on post...