Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces
View Poll Results: How do you like being in the military?
I love it! Its like a dream come true!
27.90%
Its good, but not great.
48.93%
I don't really care for it much.
11.59%
I friggin' hate life and would jump at any earliest opportunity to get out!
11.59%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Poll time. How many of you like being in the Military?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 248 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
There is no option that fits me. For the first 20 years I loved it and wanted to do nothing else. For the last year I can tell its time for me to go and do something else. I retire soon and I can't wait but I truely enjoyed my time in the Army and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Manalishi,
We are sailing on the same boat. 5 more months and I start a 104 day, fully paid, vacation and come Sep 1st I will have a house and car payment the rest of my life. Plus my wife makes enough, herself, for us to survive.
As well as Medical/dental costs per year what the outside cost per month.

And VA compensation and disability on top of the retirement check.

I saw the world a few times over, (Iraq, too many times) made alot of good friends, a few enemies, (big deal), and followed an American tradition.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Manalishi,
We are sailing on the same boat. 5 more months and I start a 104 day, fully paid, vacation and come Sep 1st I will have a house and car payment the rest of my life. Plus my wife makes enough, herself, for us to survive.
As well as Medical/dental costs per year what the outside cost per month.

And VA compensation and disability on top of the retirement check.

I saw the world a few times over, (Iraq, too many times) made alot of good friends, a few enemies, (big deal), and followed an American tradition.
I'm on my 91 day paid vacation right now it ends March 1st. It sounds like we stomped in the same mud for a while. Good luck to you and your family and thanks for being a fellow soldier.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE IT ALL......... Not really.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

yea not today..
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at the end of my Military career so it can't be bad to finish with 20 years of service to our Country completed.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:35 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
EXACTLY!! There are benefits out the *** for soldiers, especially combat vets, but no one is gonna just give them to you.. You have to take them.

I voted "love it". I am one of three guys in my squad that are getting paid to go to school.
Update: just made Sergeant!!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Everyone in the world gets the good and bad from any job... It's life! But I do enjoy it, but its not GREAT!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My opinion is about to change. I go out to sea for my first time very soon, and i'm not sure how i feel about it. I've been in the navy for 2.5 yrs almost now, and have done nothing but protect a pier. Guess I will see how much I like my sub when she is underwater and not tied up all the time.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

I love my job, but some of the other aspects of military life suck. I've got to miss my second son being born asn I have to train for my next deployment. I missed my first sons birth because of a trip to korea for a year. There is always something small that you can't change, but that goes with every job. I'm glad that I get to serve with a great bunch of people and have a little fun at the same time
Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
My opinion is about to change. I go out to sea for my first time very soon, and i'm not sure how i feel about it. I've been in the navy for 2.5 yrs almost now, and have done nothing but protect a pier. Guess I will see how much I like my sub when she is underwater and not tied up all the time.
Should have signed up for something different
Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABadMother1999
Should have signed up for something different
Wasn't my choice as to where i went out of school. I picked my station, but not my command. Kind of a luck of the draw thing.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
Wasn't my choice as to where i went out of school. I picked my station, but not my command. Kind of a luck of the draw thing.
Should have went to a different school and joined a different branch ... But I hear ya... Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you take the green weenie... or seamen in your case.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABadMother1999
Should have went to a different school and joined a different branch ... But I hear ya... Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you take the green weenie... or seamen in your case.
I hear ya on that man. But I do love my job. wouldn't trade it for anything now.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I enlisted in '92 for 6 years. After too many trips to the sand box, I started to become disillusioned. The Reserve stood up an associate unit on base, and alot of the guys who were senior to me took positions and immediately began talking about how good life was for them. (I also knew from staying in touch with friends who had separated that they regretted their decision in hind-sight.) Despite the risk of leaving the security of active duty (and being an E-3), and knowing my career field was over 100% manned, I requested an early release under PALACE CHASE and was approved. I had the same AFSC but was now a Reservist!

I immediately took advantage of my GI Bill benefits to finish my degree between TDY, activations, and deployments. I made E-6 before earning my commission. I earned my pilot wings in 2002 and fly with a unit that I chose to be a part of. December marked 16 years total service since my original enlistment date, and the risks that I took back then were worth the reward.

BTW, I had an opportunity to work a civilian job for two years while performing Reserve duty on the side, and I must say that there was nothing I loved more than putting that uniform on when military duty called. I'm full-time these days and love every minute of it!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

I am leaving on my 5th combat tour this year, not short tours either, so that has been hard on my family to miss so much time with my 9 year old. (I have missed 5 Christmas', 5 birthdays, and whole years of school.) Other than that I enjoy the job and most of the people. I think the way Iraq has been handled and deployment/dwell time for the Army is completly broke and put a bad taste in may good soldiers mouths; including mine. I have 17 years 4 months and 5 days in and am a senior soldier as far as rank goes so alot of the BS passes me by and I will stick it out till 20. If I had less than 10 years in I would be job hunting!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong the Army has almost paid for my house and I make good money, but it could improve in areas.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

I hate being in so much that I just re upped for another 6 lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love it, it's a way of life for me.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Teching In

I am currently hating life right now. I am at a stand still till Dec when my window comes open ...also it doesnt help any matters that my unit blows, and is worthless.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Launching!

USMC 7507 AV-8B Harrier pilot.

I have wanted to be a fighter pilot forever, so I like my job. I would like it even better if I flew hornets instead, but I got assigned to this jet, so I'll live with it.

I like the Corps for the most part, but some things get to me. There is alot of **** retentive policy that other services don't have. For example, we are required to keep our leather jackets zipped at least halfway up if we wear them. Who cares if my jacket is zipped or not?

I don't have kids, I haven't been on deployment yet, and my wife likes the whole "married to a fighter pilot" reputation, so I have no big complaints.

Last edited by LT Malice; 05-31-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I love it! There are some days that get to you but when I look back at the past ten years its been a nice ride.

Quick Reply: Poll time. How many of you like being in the Military?