Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

yay i hope f16 crew chief

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All these guys are pretty much right.. most maintainers on the flightline are good people.. and having good people to work with makes it fun.. I was a F-16 Crew chief until i X-trained 4 years ago. Swing shift is the place to be if you really want to learn how to work on the planes. But almost everyone starts out Launch and recovery on days.. But if you kick *** you will get to swings.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

being a crew chief was the best experience of my life. You guys say it was the hardest job you have ever done? what did you do before you came in?

With hard work comes satisfaction. As a recruiter now my hours are long and usually unexpected (people walk in or call in ) my job now is stressful in a much different way than being a crew chief.

I was a Flying Crew Chief on C-130's. I was able to see the world and do something I could never do as a civilian. And when people asked me what I did and I told them. You could see they respected me and in most cases shared their personal story with me. can you say that about your current job?

When you join in active duty its either heavy or fighter and you will find out the airframe in basic.

My job now is much tougher than crew chief due to carrying a cell phone at all hours, supervising 30 people in my DEP and no matter what I do today I will always be asked what have you done for me today?

Yes theirs ups and downs to crew cheif, as long as hard work doesnt scare you and you enjoy the sense of accoplishment of watching the jet you just worked on fly.

In the end it comes down to one thing, how do you want to remember your career? slow and stagnant (sp) or fast paced and in your face? sure the job makes you feel like doing this. but thats why people cross-train. do take on a new challenge and a different way of
Old 09-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Teching In

i don't think i would call crew chiefing "fast placed and in your face"
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 496rat
being a crew chief was the best experience of my life. You guys say it was the hardest job you have ever done? what did you do before you came in?
Unless i missed it, not a single person said its hard. There is nothing hard about it. You work hard, yes. But it is not "difficult" in the least.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by extinctls1
we work the hardest on the flightline and that is good and bad. :
nope cant seem to find it?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Negatives, lets see...

1.) A job that has very little cross(job availability) to the civilian sector.
2.) Spending all day out on the hot/cold tarmac
3.) Long hours
4.) Lots of deployments(potentially)
5.) Garunteed to go to Korea at some point

Positives

1.) Your a Maintainer, not a desk jockey

That's all I can come up with....I am sure I will get flamed by the Crew Chiefs on here, but thats fine. As a Maintainer for 9 years, I will do anything to stay away from it, but thats just me.

Jack
And Im pretty sure this post like most others in here are also "eluding" to the "hard" work however you want to define it.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
i don't think i would call crew chiefing "fast placed and in your face"
Its not normally. but does a desk job have a "red ball" or "quick turn"
Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Teching In

i wouldn't know.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your post says that people are claiming the job is hard, as in difficult. My post, as well as every one that you quoted, points out that people are not saying that at all. They are saying "we work hard", as in do alot of work. Clear enough for you?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I said "hardest" as In most of the time we do most of the work, thats not knocking specs because those guys are broke dick all the time. Not saying the job is easy because alot of things are "hard" to do every did an ADG, PDU, landing gear? and as far as the fast past comment have you ever seen the flight line in Korea??? You jump through your *** all day to get a jet ready. Riding around doing Red *****, hot pits or trying to green up a jet after working all night.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

And Im pretty sure this post like most others in here are also "eluding" to the "hard" work however you want to define it.
Yeah...........I don't think I said anything about "hard" work, I just listed the negatives. Being a maintainer, I would not say it is hard, or difficult, but damn sure grinds you down by the sheer repetative nature of the job, and the extra bullshit that you have to endure.

Jack

Quick Reply: yay i hope f16 crew chief