Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

My first shot at HDR

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HDR thread now? lol. Everyone seems to like this HDR of mine the best (Sorry it's my Jeep not my Camaro. The Camaro couldn't get back there even if I wanted to):

Old 10-17-2008, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Noticed the reflective black of my T/A always make the HDR look funky.
Thought these came out great though. Area just west of Boulder, CO a few years after a fire.

This is what I am talking about with the 'funky' look. Almost looks chrome.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Teching In

HDR should be outlawed on this site.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hitmansws6
HDR should be outlawed on this site.
Agreed!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Launching!

haha why should it be outlawed?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice lookin ride
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

silverardo_13, those are really bad examples of HDR. There are lots of diffrent types of HDR. Some make pictures look good other can make them look blown out.

Used to bring out the imprefections of the truck.

Believe or not this is HRD used to bring out the car...

Remember there are more was to use HDR then the Blown out over contrasted look.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
Remember there are more was to use HDR then the Blown out over contrasted look.
+1...And I just want to say that pic of the vette is fantastic!

The guys that are saying HDR should be outlawed are the ones that know nothing about it.

Still that ZR1 is still not a good example. look at all the overexposed parts... it is like blinding.

Look at Hibachi's pic... more artistic tonemapping, Mr luos... has a less artistic tonemapping, but still has a little "unreal" look, GTABurnout's pics... has the realistic approach. However, all these pictures have that high dynamic range, and it really brings out details in the highlights and shadows.

I am no where near a good photographer, but I do understand what this is used for and how to do it. It is not a hard concept.

1979TransAm, are you taking one picture and then adjusting the exposure in PS, and then doing the HDR process? The best way to understand this process is to google tutorials, and actually reading what these photography guys are trying to achieve.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
Here's a better example.

Nice pic.. Beautiful car.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by H21surfer
+1...And I just want to say that pic of the vette is fantastic!

The guys that are saying HDR should be outlawed are the ones that know nothing about it.

Still that ZR1 is still not a good example. look at all the overexposed parts... it is like blinding.

Look at Hibachi's pic... more artistic tonemapping, Mr luos... has a less artistic tonemapping, but still has a little "unreal" look, GTABurnout's pics... has the realistic approach. However, all these pictures have that high dynamic range, and it really brings out details in the highlights and shadows.

I am no where near a good photographer, but I do understand what this is used for and how to do it. It is not a hard concept.

1979TransAm, are you taking one picture and then adjusting the exposure in PS, and then doing the HDR process? The best way to understand this process is to google tutorials, and actually reading what these photography guys are trying to achieve.

Well said.

Funny thing is on professional Photo sites they are cursing Photomatix for bringing HDR to the masses. They pretty much agree that it has ruined HDR.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

No, we're saying that because we do know what it is, and we're sick of everyone posting extremely poor examples of it. I'd say HDR is the new "rice" of photography.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

HDR was created to compensate for the underexposed and overexposed areas of an image. Modern day HDR is heavily abused to provide eye-candy.

Not that eye-candy is bad, but some of you guys need to stop thinking the tone mapper will do wonders to your picture. Drive the car out into the sunlight and take some normal shots for god's sake.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Actually I know a lot about it and 99% of every HDR pic posted on this site would make a real photographer cringe.

Originally Posted by speedy_2
No, we're saying that because we do know what it is, and we're sick of everyone posting extremely poor examples of it. I'd say HDR is the new "rice" of photography.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy knows what he is talking about.

GTABurnout posted probably the best use of HDR I have seen on this site. Most people on here wouldn't even know it's HDR because it's not the blown out, cartoony, grainy crap that most people associate HDR with thanks to programs like Photomatrix.

Silverado_13 also posted a very good example of what I consider good use of HDR.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So I'm curious. Does my 9-5 job and my hobby both being a photographer not make me a photographer? Or were you talking about other people? Just wondering!

Anywho, I agree that HDR is widely used by those who shouldn't even be using it. I typically like the subtle HDR shots that mainly improve the lighting and the color. The ones that are highly overdone (cartoon-ish) can be cool in their own right, but aren't my thing.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

I don't really understand your question about whether or not having another job makes you a photographer or not. I would say a photographer is anyone who makes money from their pictures. Anything else is just a hobby.

I guess it really doesn't matter. If you like the look of the cartoonish HDR pics... go for it. Everybody has their own opinion of what a good photograph is.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Actually I know a lot about it and 99% of every HDR pic posted on this site would make a real photographer cringe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy knows what he is talking about.

GTABurnout posted probably the best use of HDR I have seen on this site. Most people on here wouldn't even know it's HDR because it's not the blown out, cartoony, grainy crap that most people associate HDR with thanks to programs like Photomatrix.

Silverado_13 also posted a very good example of what I consider good use of HDR.

Yes, Photomatix = ****.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't really understand your question about whether or not having another job makes you a photographer or not. I would say a photographer is anyone who makes money from their pictures. Anything else is just a hobby.

I guess it really doesn't matter. If you like the look of the cartoonish HDR pics... go for it. Everybody has their own opinion of what a good photograph is.
Just because photography is a hobby doesn't mean someone can't qualify as a photographer. Some of the greatest photos are shot by hobby photographers.

Yes, everyone has opinions, but there IS such a thing as a bad picture or a good picture.

The bottom point is this, instead of learning a thing or two about properly using a camera, car enthusiasts everyone have now discovered a "shortcut" to making their photos look good. Now everyone is going around flailing "OMG, look at my badass HDR shots!!" when in reality the ****** just took a .jpg file from his 3.2 MP Kodak into the Tone Mapper.

There is nothing wrong with having a simple point and shoot camera and there is nothing wrong with not knowing too much about photography. Like I stated before, wash your car and drive it out to the sun. Snap a few simple shots and I can guarantee they will look fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newton
Like I stated before, wash your car and drive it out to the sun. Snap a few simple shots and I can guarantee they will look fine.
Shots in the sun are the worst! A nice slightly overcast day is great. It's like a MASSIVE light box above you. Great light distribution. Harsh sun is really a challenge to shoot. You have to have your fill flash on, and adjust your white balance properly, among other things ;-) BUT I do understand your point!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
Shots in the sun are the worst! Harsh sun is really a challenge to shoot. You have to have your fill flash on, and adjust your white balance properly, among other things ;-) BUT I do understand your point!
Yeah, overcast is nice to have. But when you have nothing but a clear day ya gotta make due. . . .

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...thin+but+fords

http://nationalhorsepower.com/forum/...showtopic=1195
Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

???