Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

A few new HDR car / Bike Pics - EBZ06

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Which program are you using to merge the images and tweak the output? I've been reading a nice book on HDR stuff, haven't had time to practice with it yet. Eventually I'll be doing some for the magazine articles.
I'm using photomatix, it is easy to work the sliders to the surreal side, but you can also calm it down a bit to get the more realistic results.

Originally Posted by speedy_2
With a histogram like that, I'm betting I could replicate those results in photoshop with one JPEG. It's pretty much an underexposed shot not HDR.

These last ones you posted are nice though.
That's cool, I have a more realistic version that I guess I should post, I kind of like the strong doomsday looking clouds in that one but it's just preference. It was at least 3 exposures though (maybe 5, I'll have to check the folder).

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
HDR is a nice tool for the ocasional picture. Also when lighting is just now working it is helpful for filling in light missin from certin exposures. But damn if it hasn't be come the treadyest thing in the car photo groups. It kills me because it can be used to make an intresting shot really stand out like the dirty car pic above but then it gets over used like in the rest. HDR should not besed to improve a poor picture. Sorry but HRD is over used and its killing the art.

Kind of like you killing the English language? j/k

I do agree that it has become very trendy lately but I think that's ok too. IMO it's certainly not "killing the art". Heck, if anything it's creating more interest in the art of photography - and that's a good thing.

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
I am curious...

The shot of the NSX. Was it one shot and then the exposure was just changed to get three different exposures?
I notice a car on the left that would ghost (unless shop'd) if it were true HDR.

I do like the second batch. And the bike.
Others are overdone in my eyes. But I have heard that about some of mine as well...so...

Good questions, but none of these were done with less than 3 exposures, all jpeg/fine (I've never shot in RAW and never used Photoshop - actually just bought PSE7.0 this week but haven't messed with it yet).

I used the feature in photomatix to line up the images and reduce ghosting.

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
The second picture in the first set of the bike is a perfect example of an HDR. As well as the second picture in the second set. Not overdone, but all the colors and shades are there.

All it takes is time and practice. Stay away from Photomatix unless you're looking for a "surreal" type of photo.

I was trying to figure that out as well...

It's all personal preference. I like the surreal looking photos but I do believe they can be overdone. Especially when you see a few that are posted by newbies to HDRs.
Good comments, except that I haven't seen any drawbacks yet to using photomatix.

I agree that it is easy (especially at first) to overdo these. I've been messing around with these for about 10 days or so and can already tell... the first ones I did are very cartoon-ish looking, more recent ones have been more realistic.

Here's one of my first ones, very 'unreal' looking (but for some reason, I still like it):

Old 11-18-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a few back to back quick examples of the same shot processed slightly differently (both in photomatix):

Also, here are two shots that would be impossible to get with one exposure - a dimly lit small chapel with stained glass windows. One exposure would have either blacked out the interior or blown out the window:

All of those are HDR's of some sort, using 3 to 5 exposures (handheld w/ auto-bracketing in 1 stop increments).
Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those first two bike shots and the last Vette shot in the second posting are awesome!! The rest, though... WAAAYYYY too much, IMO. Then again, I'm not a fan of HDR because of all the non-photo work that goes into them. I like virtually unaltered images that show the true abilities of a photographer.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I also enjoy looking at the weird "unreal" pics too John. They remind me of oil painting. I just enjoy all forms of art, not everything has to be realistic.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Even though I have no idea what HDR means - or how to create pictures with it, I'd have to say the pics. look awesome!!!

I wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit on how to become a better photographer.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Originally Posted by CurbRash
Even though I have no idea what HDR means - or how to create pictures with it, I'd have to say the pics. look awesome!!!

I wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit on how to become a better photographer.
Practice, practice, practice and learn how to play with the settings. Oh, and get a tripod. You'd be surprised what you can do with a little point and shoot.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Nice shots, and I love your vette. Makes me want to get factory Z06 wheels, the colors and stance are killer. Are you lowered on bolts or running coil overs?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
Nice shots, and I love your vette. Makes me want to get factory Z06 wheels, the colors and stance are killer. Are you lowered on bolts or running coil overs?
Thanks... lowered on cut stock bolts.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know HDR hate has been the trend in this forum lately. I am not against the usage of HDR to create surreal looking pictures. It's not the intention of HDR, but it looks pretty cool. People just need to stop using to make a shitty picture supposedly look better. That's no different than throwing a wing on a Civic and claiming that it goes faster.

I'm not talking about your pictures though, jhelms. Most of them look pretty damn cool.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

A shitty picture is a shitty picture in HDR too. Sorry but HDR wont save a picture how ever it will impress the trendy kids.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
HDR is a nice tool for the ocasional picture. Also when lighting is just now working it is helpful for filling in light missin from certin exposures. But damn if it hasn't be come the treadyest thing in the car photo groups. It kills me because it can be used to make an intresting shot really stand out like the dirty car pic above but then it gets over used like in the rest. HDR should not besed to improve a poor picture. Sorry but HRD is over used and its killing the art.
There is a post like this in every thread with HDR in the title. I agree. They should just BAN HDR FROM THIS SITE.

Or make this to the motto"
Hey if you lack general composition and photography skills, just use HDR!
If I see one more pic of a car sitting in someone's driveway and the only way to make it the slightest bit interesting is to tone map it or throw it into an HDR program like Photomatrix I'm going to puke.

The last few are pretty good. Not too overdone by why not just use the correct exposure and do it in one shot? Why does EVERYTHING have to be HDR!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by hitmansws6
The last few are pretty good. Not too overdone by why not just use the correct exposure and do it in one shot? Why does EVERYTHING have to be HDR!
HDRs combine TWO or more separate exposures. Details that you wouldn't normally be able to sometimes even see in ONE exposure can be seen with an HDR.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by newton
I know HDR hate has been the trend in this forum lately. I am not against the usage of HDR to create surreal looking pictures. It's not the intention of HDR, but it looks pretty cool. People just need to stop using to make a shitty picture supposedly look better. That's no different than throwing a wing on a Civic and claiming that it goes faster.

I'm not talking about your pictures though, jhelms. Most of them look pretty damn cool.
I agree, and thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
HDRs combine TWO or more separate exposures. Details that you wouldn't normally be able to sometimes even see in ONE exposure can be seen with an HDR.

Yes that's true, but the way some people edit those combined exposures does not come out to an "HDR" image.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm just tired of the HDR thing, have been since the begining, i would like to see what the pictures look like unmolested after the wigged out ones
Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by speedy_2
Yes that's true, but the way some people edit those combined exposures does not come out to an "HDR" image.
I completely agree. But, those are the people that can barely take a picture to save their lives in the first place.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think this has turned into a pretty good discussion!

There also seems to be a pattern:

1) first time seeing HDR or messing with HDR = wow, these pics look so surreal, the more comic book style the better!
2) after seeing a few dozen pics that look closer to paint than photos, you realize HDR done 'correctly' should result in a pic that looks real, just slightly different than a 'regular' picture
3) after that, I guess people tend to go in 2 different directions...
a) HDR affects can be art, can be surreal, realistic, or whatever, and this is ok
OR...
b) HDR should really only be used to properly represent the true dynamic range of the photograph beyond what the camera was able to capture in one exposure (and this is ok too).
Here's a recent example of some pics that I took this week, I bracketed 5 exposures from -2 to +2 and combined them for a realistic look. IMO they didn't look any better than the simgle +/-0 exp shot, soooooo......

just for fun I applied a little more strength, less smoothing and got these results - halos and all. They loved these! (the people that just bought this car loved them, I was taking pics for them). I think it's pretty typical though, it's just one of their first experiences with seeing HDR affects of any kind and they were impressed with the different look of them. Personally, I don't like these particular images over the non-HDR shots from that day, but like I said, they loved them so I kept them in the gallery for them...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jhelms
I think this has turned into a pretty good discussion!

There also seems to be a pattern:

1) first time seeing HDR or messing with HDR = wow, these pics look so surreal, the more comic book style the better!
2) after seeing a few dozen pics that look closer to paint than photos, you realize HDR done 'correctly' should result in a pic that looks real, just slightly different than a 'regular' picture
3) after that, I guess people tend to go in 2 different directions...
a) HDR affects can be art, can be surreal, realistic, or whatever, and this is ok
OR...
b) HDR should really only be used to properly represent the true dynamic range of the photograph beyond what the camera was able to capture in one exposure (and this is ok too).
wheres the 1.5) option where you have seen several HDR images and still like both cartoony and realistic styles as long as they attract my attention
Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Some of you guys are being too critical. Even if a rookie photog posts pics and attempts HDR, that gives you guys no right to bash them or their pics. Instead, why not make suggestions on how to improve the pics for next time? Quit being billy-badass and thinking you know more than anyone else with a camera here. I've been shooting pro for three years now, and I'm not too proud to learn something new or give a rookie advice. All of this helps the hobby, so please drop the negative attitudes.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice work