Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

HDR with no exposure bracketing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirGod
Then if your tryin to hard to learn about photography, your not going to get too far into it with that attitude. Go look at bad95killers photobucket and then tell me HDR suck.
He's one of the few that uses the technique well. I still think it is EXTREMELY overused. If the shot doesn't look good before using HDR rendering, (like a shot of a car in the driveway with a bucket of suds and the hose still in the frame) then just processing in HDR doesn't make it any better in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I understand this is ONLY MY OPINION. You're free to look in my photobucket too. There are plenty of pics that I think came out well without having to resort to HDR.

Is nobody else sick of seeing it? "Look at my cool new HDR pics!!!" Do a search of topics in the multimedia exchange that contain the word HDR in the topic title. There is over a page of topics just from 2008! That will give you about a quarter of the threads littered with this stuff. It's a fad, like bullet hole stickers on pimped out hondas.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RamAirGod
Then if your tryin to hard to learn about photography, your not going to get too far into it with that attitude.
Exactly. It's not meant to take crappy shots and try make them awesome, it's meant to be used as a complement to an awesome shot. Sure, some of the blown out, insanely saturated HDR pictures are a little fruity, but there's nothing wrong with wanting a picture to look the best it can look by having the darkest darks and lightest lights possible.

Oops, I didn't see the second page, so I said much of the same stuff you said. I don't think anyone thinks they're an awesome photographer just because they can make HDR pics, and if they do, then they're delusional. I don't think my pics are anything special, and I didn't take the shots of my car in my parking spot trying to win any photo of the year competitions. I just did it so I could learn about HDR, because I think it's a good way to take an appealing shot and make it even more appealing.

Last edited by Z1000; 01-13-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z1000
Exactly. It's not meant to take crappy shots and try make them awesome, it's meant to be used as a complement to an awesome shot. Sure, some of the blown out, insanely saturated HDR pictures are a little fruity, but there's nothing wrong with wanting a picture to look the best it can look by having the darkest darks and lightest lights possible.
I can count on one hand regular posters in this forum who use HDR as you've just described. Bad95Killer is one of them.

Let me give you another analogy to try and put my opinion in perspective.

If I took some of the HDR processed pictures that people sit here and drool over, and posted them on one of my photography forums, I'd be flamed to death. Much in the same way people in the performance forums flame guys who slap a cam in their LS1 and think they're king **** street racer.

Last edited by hitmansws6; 01-14-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Teching In

I can kind of see where you're coming from. I've seen more HDR pics in the few days I've been visiting this Multimedia Forum than I even thought possible. And I'm sure if I stayed here long enough, I'd start to feel the same way. But right now, for me, it's something that I've wanted to try for a while and only recently have started to learn how to do it, so it's still interesting to me.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z1000
But right now, for me, it's something that I've wanted to try for a while and only recently have started to learn how to do it, so it's still interesting to me.
Exactly and here are a few of mine i did when i first started experimenting with it. I'm still no professional but oh well..

I didnt take 3 seperate shots. I just went it and changed the brightness/darkness and combined all 3 together. I'd prob get flamed by the pro's for doing it that way, but it works for me..
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmansws6
I can count on one hand regular posters in this forum who use HDR as you've just described. Bad95Killer is one of them.

Let me give you another analogy to try and put my opinion in perspective.

If I took some of the HDR processed pictures that people sit here and drool over, and posted them on one of my photograph forums, I'd be flamed to death. Much in the same way people in the performance forums flame guys who slap a cam in their LS1 and think they're king **** street racer.
Hitman we are on the same page. When I see a guy post 10 pics and all are HDR. I get pissed. #1 HDR is a great tool and if you use it right no one actually knows you used it. the blown out HDR is over used and will definatly get you laughed off on "real" Photo sites...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a couple for ya....

You can call it HDR, but its not exactly. Better IMO and much easier
Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Im definally not a HDR person.. On some occasions it looks decent.

Quick Reply: HDR with no exposure bracketing?