Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

HDR with no exposure bracketing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDR with no exposure bracketing?

Hey all, I've got a Canon Powershot A590, and I want to try doing some HDR photography. My camera doesn't have exposure bracketing, but it does have manual control of aperture, white balance, shutter speed, and ISO. I've tried doing and HDR picture using some of those setting, but it never came out quite right... maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it just wasn't a good HDR pic to begin with, or maybe my understanding of what HDR is isn't quite right.

I tried using these three pics:

To make this:

It does look better, so it worked to a degree, it just doesn't have that pop like I see so many pictures one here have. Does anyone have any tips to help me take better HDR pics? I have photoshop, so I use that to compile them. Is there a time of day / lighting situation that works best? What exactly should I change, aperture, ISO, shutter speed?

I appreciate any tips to help a newbie out!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

I think you might be having more of a difficulty with Photoshop than getting the right pictures. Heres what I came up with in Photomatix. As for you question on what you should change idk what is right but I just put it in manual mode and go throught he shutter speeds or in program do the exposure dealio
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

yes photoshop is horrible for HDR pics. There are a few programs that are specially for HDR's photomatix is one of the best..
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Oh, wow, now that's what I'm talking about! So I'll check out photomatix. Thanks guys!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Adobe Elements. Check it out.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, you by no means need bracketing. I've done all of my pictures by just changing the exposure myself.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

These are not that good, top one is in photoshop and the bottom one is in Photomatix.

Last edited by GotV-8; 01-12-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Whats funny is that Photoshop makes really good HDR photos. What most people consider HDR is really a over blown out HDR image. The key for a HDR photo is not to have some crazy looking photo with all sorts of halo effects around everything.

If you look at your first photo that you converted to "HDR" using Photoshop its actually a good example. It has no Blown out blacks or over exposed areas. In fact I bet if you looked at the Histogram most colors would be in the middle rather then on the far sides...

Now if all you want is some blown out unreal looking picture use Photomatix and bump up the gama and run 100% strength and 100% vibrance.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bracketing is just a way for the camera to change the exposure itself. You need to take several pics with different exposures. Try going from one extreme to another. Bracketing is good because it is less motion you have to do, and it keeps the camera steady. When I change exposure I have to be carefull not to move the camera when changing the exposure.

Lets look at your pics.

This pic looks over exposed

This pic is even more over exposed

This is really over exposed.

You need some under exposed pics to bring out the bright spots. You want to go from a dark image to a bright image. Look at your pics... You have no details in the sky or hood... How do you think an HDR program is going to add detail there if none of the pics have it?

Photoshop can do a good HDR, but most do not have that unreal look to them. It also does not do a good job at auto adjusting the pics to camera movement (this is where the bracket feature is good).
Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Teching In

I took a whole bunch of shots, I have more under exposed ones. I just wasn't sure how underexposed to go. I just took a shot at each exposure my camera offered. And yeah, looking at both shots, one from photoshop and the other from photomatix....

The one from Photoshop looks more realistic. I like it, it's got dark blacks and still has bright colors, which is the point of HDR if I'm not mistaken.

The one from Photomatix looks more... crazy. It's just a cool effect, with really over saturated, vivid colors.

Each one has their purpose, and I think each one looks good.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by H21surfer
Photoshop can do a good HDR, but most do not have that unreal look to them.
Which is a GOOD thing. HDR is the ricerness of photography.

Originally Posted by H21surfer
It also does not do a good job at auto adjusting the pics to camera movement (this is where the bracket feature is good).
A tripod works to. :wink
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmansws6
Which is a GOOD thing. HDR is the ricerness of photography.
Thank god some one has the same out look on this as me.

HDR has a place. But using it on every photo is not that place...
Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

There is no "definition" of what a HDR photo should look like. If you read any book or magazine they will point that out from the get it. Some ppl hate them some ppl love them. I like them if there done "tastefully" and not to over the top but then again i have seen some "over the top" ones that looked good. It all depends of what the pic consists of..
Old 01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I agree. It's not like I'd want to do it to every picture I take, but I think it is a cool effect, and, like you said, it has its place.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

As someone who works hard at learning photography and how to get the "good shots" I think HDR is 100% gay 100% of the time. Photomatrix should be removed from the face of this planet.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did these "HDR" Pictures because of the thread. I dont really care for them much, just kinda cool looking. Im fine with taking pictures with a good camera and leaving it at that.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Teching In

As someone who works hard at learning photography and how to get the "good shots" I think HDR is 100% gay 100% of the time. Photomatrix should be removed from the face of this planet.
Waaah if you don't like it don't do it and do not involve yourself with anything having to do with it.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Teching In

How does an HDR image make the shot any more gay? It's just a tool to use to add something to your shots, nothing more.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mcheap
Waaah if you don't like it don't do it and do not involve yourself with anything having to do with it.
just sayin

You know what you think of when you see a guy driving down the road with a huge ricer wing on a Camaro that thinks it's awesome? Well I think the same thing everytime I see one of these stupid *** HDR threads.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

just sayin

You know what you think of when you see a guy driving down the road with a huge ricer wing on a Camaro that thinks it's awesome? Well I think the same thing everytime I see one of these stupid *** HDR threads.
Then if your tryin to hard to learn about photography, your not going to get too far into it with that attitude. Go look at bad95killers photobucket and then tell me HDR suck.

Quick Reply: HDR with no exposure bracketing?