Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

2003 Evo VIII with a 2.4L stroker & 63mm turbo VS. a 2003 Paxton supercharged Viper S

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009 | 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 25psi
You're trying to compare a FI 10cyl 8.2 liter motor to a 2.4 liter 4 cyl Better luck next time!
wow the displacement card? Really? What is this 1996?
Old 04-11-2009 | 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro Z

however, refering to your statement in the OP when it comes down to it; built motor to built motor, pound for pound of boost, there IS---> NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT, but lets not go there different strokes for different folks
Not true at all. Increasing displacement does not equal more hp. Torque, yes!

M3's, 350z's etc.... do extremely well considering there displacement and make the same amount of power/per psi than a similarly equipped 8cyl.

Using APS for example, twin GT30r's on a 350z make 420-450rwhp on 8-9psi of boost. A C6 will make roughly 550-600rwhp on the same psi. Referring to stock, this equals out to 150hp difference(same as both stock cars)
Old 04-11-2009 | 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

M3's, 350z's etc.... do extremely well considering there displacement and make the same amount of power/per psi than a similarly equipped 8cyl.

Using APS for example, twin GT30r's on a 350z make 420-450rwhp on 8-9psi of boost. A C6 will make roughly 550-600rwhp on the same psi. Referring to stock, this equals out to 150hp difference(same as both stock cars)
You know HP is torque right? Dyno numbers don't mean ****, as these two cars prove.

Power is power guys, no matter how its made. But, it is true. With the same PSI the car with the more cubic inches will make more power than the one with less cubes.
Old 04-11-2009 | 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you think that 150hp difference came from, genius!?
Old 04-11-2009 | 08:06 PM
Banned

very Fast evo but like everyone else is saying its not like this race was gonna be close. built evo on 30 pounds vs stock viper on 7psi . Ok now what? you expecting us to all go out and buy a 4 banger from watching the vid you posted. You can make any car fast with money nowadays. most people would still choose the viper over the evo any day.
Old 04-11-2009 | 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001z
very Fast evo but like everyone else is saying its not like this race was gonna be close. built evo on 30 pounds vs stock viper on 7psi . Ok now what? you expecting us to all go out and buy a 4 banger from watching the vid you posted. You can make any car fast with money nowadays. most people would still choose the viper over the evo any day.
Then how come the owner of the viper thought he could hang? This is a race we wanted to see because obviously the viper was hyped up to be more than what it is. Here is the same evo last night against a built cobra. I hope my turns next

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOJjG...layer_embedded
Old 04-12-2009 | 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StreetLethal01
Then how come the owner of the viper thought he could hang? This is a race we wanted to see because obviously the viper was hyped up to be more than what it is. Here is the same evo last night against a built cobra. I hope my turns next

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOJjG...layer_embedded

Maybe the Viper owner is as retarded as the OP. lol.

More cubic inches=bigger explosion. Its really not very complicated to figure out a bigger explosion equals more power. if that evo was in bare form, meaning NA 4 cyclinder, it would be making about 140hp. if that viper was in BARE form it would be making about 550hp. So even though stock for stock, the viper has 400 more hp, or more than 3x the power, you're absolutely right! DUH everyone!!! HELLOOOOO!!!!!!!! He was right all along! Displacement REALLY DOESNT matter! Omg this whole time ive been driving these stupid ******* v8 powerhouses, and i had a purebred race car in my driveway the whole time, my moms KIA!! Im so stupid thanks 25psi aka lttle jdm fanboy for helping me realize me lifes greatest mistake. Yes i over did it. **** you
Old 04-12-2009 | 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

And if displacement isn't that important, why did the EVO in this video increase his with a stroker?
Old 04-13-2009 | 02:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
And if displacement isn't that important, why did the EVO in this video increase his with a stroker?
To help spool the big turbo, higher Hp Evo's actually stick to the 2.0L and rev it higher. Some food for thought.....
Old 04-13-2009 | 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

A stroker (higher displacement) will of course help with moving more air as our motors are large pneumatic pumps when it comes down to it. Adds TQ, and so depending on RPM's and intake/head design can add HP. There are more factors to a motor than just specifically displacement. I can beat a 305 cid V8 F-body with my 231 cid V6 f-body, So what?

That EVO is no slouch, neither is the Viper, of course I think the Viper owner has gone through a few transmissions as well...

I'd love to see the Evo go against Cornbread in his Fox
Old 04-13-2009 | 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure if you realized that you contradicted yourself and verified my original point. However, as the video proves a 4 cylinders can be built to make a ton of power and I'm not taking away from that. But, if you take two motors with the same compression and psi of boost with the only difference being one has more displacement, which one will make more power?

If you want a ton of support for your displacement claims then this is the wrong forum.

Money can make power with anything, just depends which route you want to go.

Last edited by Camaro Z; 04-13-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2009 | 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
Not sure if you realized that you contradicted yourself and verified my original point. However, as the video proves a 4 cylinders can be built to make a ton of power and I'm not taking away from that. But, if you take two motors with the same compression and psi of boost with the only difference being one has more displacement, which one will make more power?

If you want a ton of support for your displacement claims then this is the wrong forum.

Money can make power with anything, just depends which route you want to go.

Yes you are so right. But I guess in his world everything needs to be small I think hes a Midget
Old 04-13-2009 | 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

what the hell is yalls deal with being so narrow-minded?? I knew quite a few imports that could outright SLAUGHTER some very powerful muscle cars and visa versa.

The evo won period. winning is winning by an inch or by a mile, mods or not.

That evo spanked the **** out of that viper. get over it, both sides can throw up vids all damn day i promise so quit the pissing match.
Old 04-13-2009 | 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
what the hell is yalls deal with being so narrow-minded?? I knew quite a few imports that could outright SLAUGHTER some very powerful muscle cars and visa versa.

That evo spanked the **** out of that viper. get over it, both sides can throw up vids all damn day i promise so quit the pissing match.
Was just explaining the facts to someone who is narrow minded that is constanly bashing the non-import crowd. I have alot of respect for well done/built imports but not alot of respect for the people who think that imports are the only way to go.
Old 04-13-2009 | 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

As soon as I see Top Fuel dragsters running 3.80's in the 1/4 w/ a 4 banger, I'll push my car off a cliff and go buy an EVO.
Old 04-14-2009 | 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted

I think the only narrow minded person is the OP. We'll all support all day long that you can get stupid crazy horsepower from a four cylinder. Isnt the EVO record a little over 1000? But the OP is always saying that imports are better and all this stupid stuff and saying that displacement doesnt matter, all we're saying is that it does matter. It makes a difference. Im also into the imprt scene, i have a supra (or had-it died) and i also have an Audi and a BMW and a Lotus and a Viper. So i dont think im narrow minded for being honest. Same boost and internals etc, only difference being displacement, the higher displacement is going to win. Thats all we're saying.
Old 04-15-2009 | 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I think the only narrow minded person is the OP. We'll all support all day long that you can get stupid crazy horsepower from a four cylinder. Isnt the EVO record a little over 1000? But the OP is always saying that imports are better and all this stupid stuff and saying that displacement doesnt matter, all we're saying is that it does matter. It makes a difference. Im also into the imprt scene, i have a supra (or had-it died) and i also have an Audi and a BMW and a Lotus and a Viper. So i dont think im narrow minded for being honest. Same boost and internals etc, only difference being displacement, the higher displacement is going to win. Thats all we're saying.
Evo's are in 113X's on race gas and a local builder here has one around 111X on E85. Given that everything is the same, more displacement will have mroe HP and TQ. You can't argue facts, but just because someone has more diplacement doesn't mean they will have more power.
Old 04-15-2009 | 08:30 PM
11Second Club

It's people like the OP that reinforce my disgust for imports in general (especially Japanese imports). The vid was impressive, no doubt. The comment about displacement was pointless and utterly incorrect.

Stupidity, arrogance, and the constant quest to show superiority and gain the approval of others seem to run the minds of so many import drivers. I feel sorry for the ones who aren't douchebags, because they all get lumped in with the likes of the OP in my mind and in the minds of many others.
Old 04-17-2009 | 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
Evo's are in 113X's on race gas and a local builder here has one around 111X on E85. Given that everything is the same, more displacement will have mroe HP and TQ. You can't argue facts, but just because someone has more diplacement doesn't mean they will have more power.
More displacement will not yield more hp. Increasing displacement increase torque(but not hp) because a greater volume of air (and thus fuel) is combusted per revolution, imparting more force on the crank and thus producing more torque. However, without changing the rest of the setup, you are not actually flowing more total air, so power stays the same. That is why a stroked engine generally pulls the curve to the left and inflates the torque curve (more torque produced accross the RPM band), but doesn't increase HP on a given setup (the ONLY way that would happen would be if the HP curve is still rising at redline, meaning more airflow could be obtained at the same redline by increasing displacement).
Old 04-17-2009 | 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I never stated that displacement "did not matter"! My analogy was based on the useless and in your terms "narrow minded" individuals, who constantly repeat....there's no replacement for displacement rule of thumb when two vehicles are equipped with F/I.

There are to many variables that need to be examined when confronting displacement:

1) DOHC- for example will 99% of the time make more hp given the same displacement than your typical Pushrod motor. If I am wrong, please show me proof.

2) Head design- for example plays a significant role in how power is produced. And that's why you see 4valve motors with lower displacement making more power per psi than 2/3 valve motors. This is not a matter of car comparisons, but simply engine head comparison. Dohc valve positioning allows for better breathing because a)there are two or three individual valves doing the job of 1. This allows for higher flow velocity while flow rate remains and also more efficient flow, because of two or more smaller valves now posing less of a restriction and creating less turbulence. Also, less lift is required to create the same flow rate. That aside, you can now also position the valves much more ideally. Aside from this, one huge valve requires more force to be operated than two smaller ones. The two valves weigh quite a bit less and each require significantly less spring pressure to operate at the same levels of rpm. We also have less reciprocating mass and have only increased the rotating mass slightly. The valvetrain overall is actually lighter and requires less force to operate.