Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Photoshopping Car Photos...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Photoshopping Car Photos...

Is there anyone that can provide nice tips and tricks for photoshopping car photos?
I have several from my point and shoot I would like to do and I have access to an SLR for the future.

I see so many beautiful photos here and I am somewhat Photoshop handicapped. I have done pics on PS, but not to the caliber I have seen here.

If someone was able to take the time to put together a nice guide or step by step tips, it would make a nice sticky too.
Peace
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

A lot of it has to do with quality of the photo, if you have nice high resolution and good quality images you wont have to tweek so much and make it look good like you would with a crappy image. Photoshop is a good program that if you take the time to use the tools you can make stuff look awesome, one tool that is your friend is the pen tool. It takes time to get stuff down but once you can start making different layers and understanding how to use transparent layers and masks then you will be good.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, first you have to have genuine Adobe Photoshop. "Photoshopping" has become a term used to represent the action of modding two photos into one. If you have photoshop, the heal tool is a really good way to make things blend.
I can't give you a thirty second lesson on how to use the program, but if you have a specific question, or want to know how to do certain things in photoshop, just PM me.
For example, there is a tool in photoshop that allows you to modify only certain colored pixels, giving you the ability to change the color of your paint and make it look like that is the real color. There is also a tool on there (not mentioned) that I could use to make you look like a Chick on the beach, and actually make it look like you are a woman.
Agreed, when people put different rims/body kits on cars in photoshop, the result comes out WAY better when you have two good images to merge.

If you don't have Photoshop CS2 or greater, your pictures will never be as good as modern versions of the program.

Last edited by honeycutt.dewey; 04-15-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have CS4 64bit.
I will have to play around a bit.

Would you mind just listing a bunch of tool "names" that I can use and play around with?
The program is overwhelming.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, the brush tool is pretty cool, its your basic staple. several sets of brushes come with th eprogram when you buy it. Free transform is a neat tool that can be used with several others, like the text and shape tools. The rectangular marqee tool allows you to select a rectangular area. the lasso tool allows you to select a 3d area. The quick selection tool is a favorite of mine. it allows the program to select certain pixels or groups of pixels based on patterns and coloration. crop is self explanatory, the spot healing tool blends patterns and colors together to make them smooth. Eraser and gradient are both self-explanatory. the blur/smudge tool is very popular among photographers, with models it can be used to give the slimming effect that you'll see in playboy, with cars it can be used to straighten/stylize body panels and shading in paint. The burn tool is cool, but self-explanatory. The eyedropper allows you to select a color from another source i.e. a picture. The filter and pattern tools add nice effects to pictures and can create a nice backdrop.
There's a good start, if there are any specific tools you don't understand just let me know.

I hate to reveal my photoshopping secrets, but the smudge tool can create some badass flames, with the right settings of course.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldnt call the brushes and other things basic....JMO....the basic adjustments you need to know are levels,curves,hue/saturation,and the brightnes/contrast.....Im not familiar with cs4 i still use adobe 7.0.....Ill pm you a link to our local forum theres a good photoshop stickie on there you should be able to view it if not sign up you will be more than welcome.....
Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

i've used photoshop once or twice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramairgod/
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj246/RamAirGod2002/

If there is anything you need to know, just shoot me a PM