Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

My son's AWD Eagle Talon Drag car

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex_632
Very nice car. Nice choice in going with the sheperd dogbox though. That trans held up to numerous 7 second passes in shep's personal talon. If you think though 7500 is crazy, shep use to anti-lag the his drag talon to 9 grand or so. And shift about the same rpm you guys are now.
John has revved as high as 12,000 and usually shifts close to 11. From what I hear he's looking for a new engine builder. Car won't be back on the track till next spring. Atleast thats what my son tells me.

Yes,he's a member of several forums. He's going to sign on here as well.

Yes,it's anti-lag.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see another DSM guy on here. I'm looking to get rid of mine though, I want to get back into an F body. I did the auto swap last winter, and its awesome. I have about 1k in this built auto and its pretty much bullet proof. The car leaves like a raped ape, and still is sooo easy to drive on the street. I had the race built 5 spd, with a PTT twin disk clutch and it sucked so bad driving that thing on the street. Sweet car, good luck getting into the 8's.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Need_a_Camaro
Good to see another DSM guy on here. I'm looking to get rid of mine though, I want to get back into an F body. I did the auto swap last winter, and its awesome. I have about 1k in this built auto and its pretty much bullet proof. The car leaves like a raped ape, and still is sooo easy to drive on the street. I had the race built 5 spd, with a PTT twin disk clutch and it sucked so bad driving that thing on the street. Sweet car, good luck getting into the 8's.
Thank you much. Me too! the sooner he brings home an 8 sec timeslip the sooner I think he'll sell it.hahaha
I think we're going to build a short wheel-base car. I may pick up a RWD converted Olds Achieva that a friend of mine retired (Gunn Automotive).
Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

pm sent
Old 11-02-2009, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

did he do the 9.41 run in jacksonville nc about a year ago???
Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Keith_Shapiro
did he do the 9.41 run in jacksonville nc about a year ago???
Actually no. The car has never been out of the tri-state area. Atleast not while he's owned it. The previous owner ran the car in NHRA Sport RWD and followed the NOPI tour.
At one time the car was the 5th fastest DSM in the country. There have been quite a few fast DSM's built since then.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Hi,everyone. I'm Vinnie.I'm going to sign up but for now I thought i would post a mod list.

-2.0 liter short block built by myself at Gunn Automotive Machine

*Pauter forged chrome moly rods w/ARP L-19 rod bolts
*Casidium coated pins
*JE custom 9.0:1 pistons
*Brand New OEM steel crank
*Modified oiling system
*A1 / H-11 Tool Steel headstuds (1/2")
*ARP Mainstuds
*Fel-Pro MLS PermaTorque headgasket
*AMS Oil cooler & filter housing

-Cylinder head/Valvetrain

*Brand New OEM 1G Cylinder (Ported/Benched)
*Kiggly Racing Beehive valvesprings & Titanium retainers
*Kiggly Racing Hydraulic Lash Adjuster Pressure regulator
*Kelford TX280 camshafts
*Fidanza Adjustable cam gears
*Greddy Kevlar timing belt

-Forced Induction / Intake

*Garrett GT4202
*4" side front bumper exit exhaust
*20" wide x 12" tall x 4.5" thick Bar & Plate Intercooler (3" In / 3" Out)
*3" piping turbo to I/C - 3.5" piping from I/C to throttlebody
*Tial Q Blow Off Valve
*Shearer Fab. Thick walled Stainless steel T4 / Top mount exhaust manifold (Single Gate)
*Tial 44mm wastegate
*Hogan 2 pc. custom sheetmetal intake manifold (x8 additional injector bungs)
*Wilson Billit 90mm throttlebody
*AEM 5-Bar MAP Sensor

-Fuel System

*PT&E 1600cc injectors (x8)
*Weldon 2345-A pump (Rated to 2,400hp on EFI/Forced ind.)
*Weldon inline filters
*Weldon Dial-A-FLow Pump controller
*-12 fuel line tank to pump / -10 pump to rail
*Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator

-Engine management & Ignition

*J&S SAFEGAURD - Individual Cylinder Knock Monitoring System
*Haltech E11v2
*MSD DIS-4 High Output
*MSD 2 post blaster coils (x2)
*NGK BP7 plugs

-Transaxle & Drivetrain

*Shepherd Racing dogbox / PPG Gearset / Welded diff / REM Process / 5th gear delete
*ACT3200 Pressure plate / ACT Street disc (Tilton carbon/carbon next season)
*ACT Chrome Moly Flywheel
*Driveshaft Shop Level 5 300M Steel axles
*Driveshaft Shop 1000HP 3.5" HD Aluminum 1-piece driveshaft
*4 Bolt LSD Rear Differential
*Solid bushing driveshaft mounts
*New OEM Prop. shaft

-Steering,Suspension & Brakes

*Ground Control adjustable Coil-overs
*Eibach Springs
*OEM 2-piston calipers
*Slotted rotors
*EBC Green Stuff pads
*Stainless steel lines
*TCI Linelock
*New OEM rear brake lines
*New OEM Lower control arms
*Custom solid steel motor mount (Front & Rear)
*Energy Suspension Poly engine and trans. mounts (Trans. & Driver side)
*NEW OEM Manual steering rack
*Sparco steering wheel
*New OEM Sway-bar links
*Solid Aluminum Rear sub-frame Mounts/bushings
-Safety Equipment

*Simpson Skyjacker Parachute
*G-Force Window net
*10 pt. Chrome moly roll cage built by Tim @ Coast Chassis
*Three Speed Trans. scatter shield
*Sabelt 5 pt. harnesses w/camlock

*Full inerior / 3,000lbs w/driver & 1 Power adder / 3,100w/driver & x2 Power Adders *NHRA SPORT RWD Regulations*
These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot.
The car has gone 9.41 @ 151mph when Sean Ivey owned it. That was with 700whp and a 100hp shot at 3,100lbs.
The car now makes close to 1,000whp. Hopefully the new Kelford camshafts will put me where I want to be. At the current wt. I'll need to generate atleast 1,100whp to reach my goal of 8.40's @ 170mph+

Last edited by Blue72; 11-02-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

how sick!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

look up wyldkards dsm... its something to look up to

heres him walking a few turbo/sc camaros, i think one video he stays with an r1 on the highway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9DKvrfuqE
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea talons are fast cars...I should know cause a couple years ago I had my *** handed to me by a awd talon....I wish I had the driver mod and a trunk monkey LOL!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
look up wyldkards dsm... its something to look up to

heres him walking a few turbo/sc camaros, i think one video he stays with an r1 on the highway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9DKvrfuqE
I've been building them for quite a while now. Bought the first one 10 yrs ago and have been playing with them ever since.
I'm not one for street racing,but I've got a few under my belt. 650whp Turbocharged Camaro SS, 02' GSX-R750, Chevy Chevette w/BBC, several turbo Civic hatches and coupes.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Yea talons are fast cars...I should know cause a couple years ago I had my *** handed to me by a awd talon....I wish I had the driver mod and a trunk monkey LOL!
No offense to DSM lovers, I like the cars, but...

This is an incorrect statement, these cars are only fast when built correctly. I have yet to be beaten by one, but they are out there.... I just haven't ran into one that was correctly built. Around here, they're mainly stock motor with upgraded turbo systems and more boost... that wasn't going to beat my 500rwhp Z28 from a roll. Hell... I'm the only turbo camaro within my little 60 mile radius that actually goes out and plays with other cars

And you can't tell me it was cheap and easy to get all that power to perform efficiently

I give props to the AWD cars that play on the highway, most of them around me, just 2 step out of the whole and shut it down after they yank people for a second or two and don't give the other person a chance to see if they could catch up
Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I hear you. There are many half assed built DSM's out there. I have nearly 10 years of R&D with these cars and my current 92' Talon has every bit of $60,000 invested in it bumper to bumper.
However I have to say on the other hand my 93' Talon went consistant 10.6's close to 140 and I drove it too and from the track. I had some decent money in the car,but nnothing close to what i have invested in my 92'. I had closer to $20,000 total in the 93'
I recall one evening at LBV on T&T night 2 yrs. ago. I was at the track with a few friends. My buddy's 911,an 03' Cobra that turned out 10.70's on drag radials,an 11 sec turbocharged 87' F-body,and an 07' Mustang on Hoosier QTP's that was going consistant 12.0's all night. I did'nt run that night,I was just spectating. I'm a diabetic and was'nt feeling well.Anyway on the ride back down the Taconic everyone got a little dumb flowin' through there blood and decided to start lining up. I have to say one thing for the 911. It might have only gone 12.50's,but it got up to 180 from 80 pretty fast. Anyway,what would you say if I said that hypathetically speaking,lets say the Cobra and the Talon went from 70 to 170 and the Cobra was a good 10 car lengths behind,possibly more when the Talon let off at 170-175? Keep in mind the Talon is geared to reach 205-208mph in 4th at 9,800-10K rpm's. 70mph is the bottom of 2nd gear.
Don't get me wrong,I've been a Bowtie guy for a lot longer than I've been a DSM owner. However as I said in earlier posts with a capable tech,a good tuner thats familiar with your perticular EMS and your application,and a good engine builder these cars are very capable.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Teching In

I've also gone consistant 11.30's for less than $7,000 total including the car. And 12.20's for $3,750. Cost of car and the parts I already had. For under $4K I was spanking Vettes and Stangs on the street almost daily. Not everyone will have the means to make this possible. I am an ASE Master Re-certified tech,and have machine experiance as well. I don't pay much for machine work and I do all my own fabricating so in most cases I don't have to sub out anything being done to the car. Just dyno tuning. Hoping to change that very soon.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
No offense to DSM lovers, I like the cars, but...

This is an incorrect statement, these cars are only fast when built correctly. I have yet to be beaten by one, but they are out there.... I just haven't ran into one that was correctly built. Around here, they're mainly stock motor with upgraded turbo systems and more boost... that wasn't going to beat my 500rwhp Z28 from a roll. Hell... I'm the only turbo camaro within my little 60 mile radius that actually goes out and plays with other cars

And you can't tell me it was cheap and easy to get all that power to perform efficiently

I give props to the AWD cars that play on the highway, most of them around me, just 2 step out of the whole and shut it down after they yank people for a second or two and don't give the other person a chance to see if they could catch up
Yea your right....I meant to say they can be fast when their built right!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

I'll make a trip down to the DFW to give you a try, you should destroy me but I would love to see the car.

I went 11.7s@120 with a 4k DSM that is everything I keep my receipts these cars are too cheap not too.

Nice car, keep up the good work and good luck reaching your goals.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbotalon1g
I'll make a trip down to the DFW to give you a try, you should destroy me but I would love to see the car.

I went 11.7s@120 with a 4k DSM that is everything I keep my receipts these cars are too cheap not too.

Nice car, keep up the good work and good luck reaching your goals.
I don't mean to hijack your thread OP, I'm sorry

Hell yeah!

but I won't be an LS1 anymore, going forged 370 with a front mount TC78 and swapping in a th400 with a 3200 stall, so the car will be MUCH faster and lighter than before

just a hint of what's going in:

Old 11-04-2009, 11:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
I don't mean to hijack your thread OP, I'm sorry

Hell yeah!

but I won't be an LS1 anymore, going forged 370 with a front mount TC78 and swapping in a th400 with a 3200 stall, so the car will be MUCH faster and lighter than before

just a hint of what's going in:

Wish I had the money to have my 370 built for boost ....guess I'll stick to my 200 shot for now .
Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Wish I had the money to have my 370 built for boost ....guess I'll stick to my 200 shot for now .
why not a 300 shot? was the motor built for nitrous?

I had mine built specifically for boost, it should prob make less than 9.0CR after I put the heads on... it'll be a turd without boost, but stupid sick with boost
Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Very nice! I really like the look of your car. I had the chance to pick up an 02' a few years back. I wish I had picked it up.
I'm posting these pictures for my son. He's going to sign up under his own screen name later on today.

[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/vinstalon/100_0282.

Quick Reply: My son's AWD Eagle Talon Drag car