Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

OK that was stupid Top Gear Camaro SS vs E63 AMG????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mercedes sounds like it's snarling!!! i have to say i like it
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go buy an USED 2002-2003 E63 AMG Mercedes right now for $12K-$15K and the test results will be the same.

So much for the $35K Camaro to the $80K Mercedes comparison!

The E63 AMG truly is a fantastic car. If that's considered a "Girly 4 Door" as stated ealier in this thread sign me up. I will definitely drive one!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Gotta admit that benz sounds like a BEAST!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

I also agree that its not a fair comparison. I'm a huge Camaro fan as we all are, but come on, I'm sure a lot of us here would rather have the e63 amg.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to some people on this thread, you are asking why two naturally aspirated 6.2 liter cars should be compared? Wow, that is illogical. The Benz also out weighs the Camaro by 300 lbs. Yet it still went around the track 3 seconds faster, *** WHOOOOPING!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LEO
According to some people on this thread, you are asking why two naturally aspirated 6.2 liter cars should be compared? Wow, that is illogical. The Benz also out weighs the Camaro by 300 lbs. Yet it still went around the track 3 seconds faster, *** WHOOOOPING!
I'm not surprised, I enjoyed it, and I don't think it was illogical.

If anything, I was disappointed.
When I heard Jeremy say they were comparing muscle cars, I expected the big three names.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Outlaw55
Because they did it to make the E63 look good and make the Camaro look bad. The E63 plays second fiddle to all the other super-sedans M5, RS6, CTS-V etc so they did this because it cant win against its real competition.
again why do you give a **** what other people think about the cars? even if you own one who cares what other people think about it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

That Benz is badass, not a good comparison to a Camaro SS, but was very entertaining regardless.

It does make you wonder... what exactly is the definition of a muscle car? Why does everyone consider the 2010 Camaro a muscle car, but not the Benz?

To some people, like Top Gear, a muscle car is anything with a big V8.

To others, muscle cars were only made in the 60's and early 70's and had live axles, leaf springs, iron blocks, and 4 speeds.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's official, the only reason to watch Top Gear anymore is to enjoy the beautiful cinematography of awesome cars sliding around a track.

I wonder if someone will start to edit out all the speaking roles, that would be a great show.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the point of that?

Not even the fact that it's a camaro, but the fact that a nurburgring tuned sports sedan vs. a muscle car.

A much more fitting comparison would be the E63 vs....

This.

Considering multiple magazine tests put both these cars at virtually identical lap times around multiple tracks. I think this would have been more interesting.

Am I whining? No, I still love that show.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't see the episode, but from the posts here it sounds like they were comparing performance of a N/A 6.2L V8 equipped sedan to that of an equally heavy N/A 6.2L V8 car.
Comparing performance, not price tags or luxury components.

The LSx lost. It's tough to accept on a LSx based site, but it is what it is. Kudos to MB.

If they were looking to compare Luxury-Performance sedans, they'd have included the CTS-V, with it's *supercharged* 6.2L and luxury interior. I don't gather that was the basis of this episode though--It sounds like this was more about "Which N/A 6.2L V8 will go faster from the factory."

Let's face it though, in stock trim the 5th Gen is a bit of a disappointment performance-wise. Don't get me wrong, it's not slow... it's just not fast.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Didn't see the episode, but from the posts here it sounds like they were comparing performance of a N/A 6.2L V8 equipped sedan to that of an equally heavy N/A 6.2L V8 car.
Comparing performance, not price tags or luxury components.

The LSx lost. It's tough to accept on a LSx based site, but it is what it is. Kudos to MB.

If they were looking to compare Luxury-Performance sedans, they'd have included the CTS-V, with it's *supercharged* 6.2L and luxury interior. I don't gather that was the basis of this episode though--It sounds like this was more about "Which N/A 6.2L V8 will go faster from the factory."

Let's face it though, in stock trim the 5th Gen is a bit of a disappointment performance-wise. Don't get me wrong, it's not slow... it's just not fast.
The thing that got me is that they were (Or they said they were) comparing muscle cars.
I don't know if the AMG is a muscle car over there, but I don't believe anyone considers it that over here.
Hell, I don't really even consider the new camaro a muscle car. It's a pony car in my book.
I was completely expecting them to review the three pony cars too.

Honestly, I was surprised when I saw the Mercedes, but I knew immediately that it was going to SPANK the camaro.
Mercedes has built that car to fully compete with the current M5 in handling and other dynamic areas.
They're also fully aware that BMW is coming out with a new M5 soon and they have plans to counter with a TT V8 like in the X6M upon its release from what I understand.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Mercedes has built that car to fully compete with the current M5 in handling and other dynamic areas.
This.

Not a muscle car.

Still love the show, but the American made car bashing gets old.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

I would also like to point out that Mercedes advertises the engine as 6.3l...
SO technically, it has nothing in common with the Camaro really (they're both RWD though).

Still, I found the episode entertaining and I liked watching the two cars duke it out.
That Mercedes sounds godly.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
***Repost Police***

I think it's very funny how many people get butthurt on this site... Top Gear talks trash about American cars because it's funny, and the past ~30yrs reinforces what they think. It's only in the last ~5-7yrs that our country makes ANYTHING that can truly be considered "world class." And for those of you that don't understand that, I'm not just talking about performance.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO
According to some people on this thread, you are asking why two naturally aspirated 6.2 liter cars should be compared? Wow, that is illogical.
With that logic we should should also throw in a Ford F150 Raptor, and a Cadillac Escalade because they too have 6.2L naturally aspirated V8s.
The Benz also out weighs the Camaro by 300 lbs. Yet it still went around the track 3 seconds faster, *** WHOOOOPING!
That just goes to show what suspension and brake tuning can do...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think it's very funny how many people get butthurt on this site... Top Gear talks trash about American cars because it's funny, and the past ~30yrs reinforces what they think. It's only in the last ~5-7yrs that our country makes ANYTHING that can truly be considered "world class." And for those of you that don't understand that, I'm not just talking about performance.
Im pretty sure no one ever thought that American cars of the past 30 years were "world class", and mostly because no one cares. No ones saying they are world class so why are you saying they should be? Until recently the vast majority of American car sales were here, in America. So why should they be built for any one else? I'm all for better build quality and reliability but this is (and often is) just stupid. Compare cars of the same class which were meant to compete with each other. No one looking to buy a $30,000 Camaro is also looking at an $80,000 Mercedes, just as is no one looking at an $80,000 Mercedes is looking at $30,000 cars.

Many times Tops Gear's jokes are funny but what gets irritating is that Top Gear goes completely out of their way to try and make American cars (and Americans in general) look bad, and there are many many morons that believe every word they spew. The infamous example of the Corvette's rear bumper flexing is a perfect example. It was purposely engineer to do that, its not in any way, shape, or form being "cheap". Ever touch the rear bumper of any Ferraris? They do the exact same, but you will never hear Top Gear mention anything about this because they don't go out of their way looking for things that are not there with their fanboy cars.
It can almost be taken as a complement they they have to go so far to show up an American bargain performer...
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
With that logic we should should also throw in a Ford F150 Raptor, and a Cadillac Escalade because they too have 6.2L naturally aspirated V8s.

That just goes to show what suspension and brake tuning can do...
German muscle vs American muscle was what this particular show was about, just in case some of you lesser educated or mentally slower individuals couldn't figure it out. In this test German muscle won and won big.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Stupid episode and pointless comparo.

Top gear isnt what it used to be since they had to tone it down
Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEO
German muscle vs American muscle was what this particular show was about, just in case some of you lesser educated or mentally slower individuals couldn't figure it out. In this test German muscle won and won big.
Your a moron.

Wanna see a ZR1 vs the AMG? No? Is it because they are in no way close in performance class or cost?

Theirs you a german muscle vs american muscle episode.

Btw I havent seen any of the top gear or really care to. This was just a tool of a post.

Quick Reply: OK that was stupid Top Gear Camaro SS vs E63 AMG????