Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

February Photoshop Requests

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drkblusierra
How long do you have to go to school? and is your training much different from the hwy patrol guys?

Yeah i got some flash, illustrator, html, and mainly QuarkXPress training from my school, if you don't know what Quark is, its a program for layout and type. Its what news papers and Magazines use to layout there pages and add type. Im going to take more advanced classes for PS too cause theres so much to learn... check out this website, it belongs to a girl that got her BA from the same school i go to, its pretty sick the stuff she does in adobe illustrator

http://www.lifeinvector.com/
I go to a 4 year university. A lot of officers I talk to say that getting a degree in Law Enforcement is the best bet now a days. Traditionally, all a LEO needed was a highschool degree, but now a lot of departments are starting to require at least 60 semester hours in a accredited junior college or university. I figure I would do the 4 year plan so that when I decide to become a supervisor, LT, and eventually chief...my degree will back me a great deal.

That website is pretty cool, that chick has some skills. Very nice portfolio
Old 03-04-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by do0dfromcali
Traditionally, all a LEO needed was a highschool degree, but now a lot of departments are starting to require at least 60 semester hours in a accredited junior college or university. I figure I would do the 4 year plan so that when I decide to become a supervisor, LT, and eventually chief...my degree will back me a great deal.
Yup....Most agencies around here won't even give you an application if you don't have a degree. So you either already be State Cert in LE or Corrections or look elsewhere for a job. I have college under me as well as being dual certified in both LE and Corrections. However, think very hard twice about assuming that your college will get you promoted quicker above others that may not. I am not too sure how familiar you are with LE and its politcal agenda. If you want to send me some PMs, I can tell you from 9 years exp from around the globe on what gets you promoted. College degree, sadly, isn't one of them.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh....would somebody please assist me in a new sig. Mine apparently has been deleted. Not by mods, but by the server that use to host it.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97redC5
Yup....Most agencies around here won't even give you an application if you don't have a degree. So you either already be State Cert in LE or Corrections or look elsewhere for a job. I have college under me as well as being dual certified in both LE and Corrections. However, think very hard twice about assuming that your college will get you promoted quicker above others that may not. I am not too sure how familiar you are with LE and its politcal agenda. If you want to send me some PMs, I can tell you from 9 years exp from around the globe on what gets you promoted. College degree, sadly, isn't one of them.
Oh I know that they arn't going to be like, "Hey this kid has a degree, lets promote him." What I was trying to say is that if I am going heads with someone for a position and I have a degree and his doesn't, they will look at me more favorably. Thats what I was trying to get at. As of right now, I just want to be on patrol, out in the car, mingling with the community Everytime I do a ride along, I know this is the job for me and that I followed the right path out of highschool. I love to help people in anyway I can and I figured this would be a good way to get paid doing it. After my ridealongs, I always get a sense of feeling that I helped the community in some way. Another reason I want to go into the LE field is because I want to be able to help people who can't help themselves. Like a child that is being abused. Most children look to their parents for help, but a child who is being abused cant, and that where I want to step in and help that child.

But before you start telling me its not like the show COPS....I know that I know that there is a lot of paper work, lots of downtime where your driving around doing nothing. The other day, I rode with the police dept for 14 hours and I would say 4 hours of it was handleing calls. The rest of the time was just driving around, looking for reason to pull traffic stops, and checking out chicks running cause it was fiiiinally warm out. Also I know there is a lot I still don't know about that doesn't make the job seem as fun, but I am willing to except that. The officer I ride with lets me be really involved so I know what I am getting into. I write traffic tickets, written warnings, accident reports. The worst is when we bust a party and have to write a crapload of MIP tickets. I am basically his little bitch, but hey I dont mind at all. To me its all about the experience and like I said before, I know this is the career for me.

Now look, you done and got me all started on my story of becoming a LEO. Haha
Old 03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Can we um, take this discussion offline? This is an old photoshop
thread and it needs to go bye bye.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry P-diddy

We'll move it to PM's and i'll lock this

97...PM me if ya want