Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

IROC vs G8GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Those 245hp 350s will beat the majority of the late 60s/early 70s muscle cars, short of big block solid roller stuff. I guess those "muscle cars" are nothing to brag about either?
Beat them in what? Handling, braking? I'd gladly put a muscle car against vs the 80's car in a drag or roll race.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by canada4g63
Beat them in what? Handling, braking? I'd gladly put a muscle car against vs the 80's car in a drag or roll race.
An L98 1992 z28 would hand a 1st gen camaro or any car of that era with a sbc its *** in handling and braking and for sure a drag race. My 1991 z ran 13.90's bone stock. There weren any cars doing that in stock form back then. With mods maybe, but not stock.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
An L98 1992 z28 would hand a 1st gen camaro or any car of that era with a sbc its *** in handling and braking and for sure a drag race. My 1991 z ran 13.90's bone stock. There weren any cars doing that in stock form back then. With mods maybe, but not stock.
Have to factor in the poor tires of back then. But you have to think abou the special makes of the many muscle cars. In my opion i would take a muscle car or anything from the 80's but to each there own.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 80's didn't have muscle cars because of smog regulations. I had an 81 Camaro with a 305/4-speed/posi and it was slow. Cars produced before 74 were muscle cars because there were no gov regulations on them.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to factor in the poor tires of back then. But you have to think abou the special makes of the many muscle cars. In my opion i would take a muscle car or anything from the 80's but to each there own.
Nope apples to apples all parts and tires period correct the late 80's weren't that bad considering there low Hp numbers but I agree i would rather have an older muscle car I just can't afford them so I stick with the late model stuff for now.

My last tpi (1989 gta l98/auto) car went 14.00@98 with shorty headers and exhaust weighing 3860 with driver and I thought I was fast but that was ten years ago...lol
Old 07-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Launching!

I actually feel bad lol
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
My last tpi (1989 gta l98/auto) car went 14.00@98 with shorty headers and exhaust weighing 3860 with driver and I thought I was fast but that was ten years ago...lol
Hey thats was flying for back then. That time alone used to have 5.0 mustang guys scratching their heads. A good 3200 converter made that car a low 13 second car
Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 91 L98 car went 14.2 @ 98 completely stock in 90 degree heat with PepBoys tires. Old school small blocks can't compete with that, not even the formidable solid lifter LT-1. Most of the big blocks couldn't touch that either, unless it was at least 427" and didn't have a hydraulic valvetrain.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Teching In

That video is awesome. I don't think I've ever seen anyone lose that bad lol...
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Teching In

I was bored tonight and logged into my account here. I haven't been on in awhile but I saw that this thread had been revived sorta. I was the former owner of the 3rd Gen. I had the car for over 3 years. In the time I had her, I transformed quite abit with it right up until I sold the car early this year. When I ran the kid who was driving that G8, I did it for one purpose & one purpose only, to show that I wasn't afraid to show up to the almighty G8. I knew I'd lose, but it was more about principle for me. One thing the service taught me well in was to never run away from anything which is why I was about the principle more than anything else. My car wasn't nothing special, even though I loved it alot, I've had better cars. Mostly SUV's. I had an LS car back in the early 2000's, a T/A that I bought & paid for while I had her. I later sold it, worked alot and later on bought other cars. I got this 3rd Gen. from a kid & it only had 122k original miles in early 2009. The only mods on her at 1st were exhaust, cam, filters, CAI, ported intake, etc. I bought it mainly because it was a nice looking 88 model and had a good interior, solid transmission for being 22 years old and a solid running engine for being original mostly. I kept up all maintenance and then some like I do for all my cars. The kid who sold her to me had ran a mid-90's Mustang GT & beat it. I ran it when I first got her at the then Gateway (spring 2009) & she ran a 14.0 on my last run in cool weather & good tire grip. NOT fast but not bad for an old car.

I rebuilt the entire interior after I ripped out the old one in 2010. I had a new sound system put in her too in 2011. This was right after this May 2011 race. As I had her longer, I modified 90% of the suspension and exhaust system before doing headers. I modded the whole ignition system, put good tires on (after the race), gears/rear end, full bolt-on's, good brakes, cooling upgrades, extensive weight reduction (bad issues with tire grip, was working on this when I sold it), tuning, the intake was fully ported/port matched for max airflow/power, semi-built 700r4 with shift kit2, TCI converter & other mods after old one took a dive in early 2011 from a local trans' shop. Ratchet shifter for more control (which worked well for testing on streets and some races) and other miscellaneous things done.

All I can say is I'm not wealthy but I utilized every single ounce of power I could throw "at home techniques" I learned from past car work/modding on mostly older domestics & most of my small mods all added up to a point. I also put nearly $10,000 into re-doing that car with alot of times by myself all ours of a night. I never got to touch the heads and have machining work done for the engine. I wanted to very badly but my bills and wife made it hard. So most work was done by me and with 2 friends who are mechanics. The bigger things were done at a shop. I've been working on cars for nearly 17 years, so I loved to wrench on the IROC. I realized that not everyone would like a old car like that which that's fine, but that local forum ragged me out for no other reason than to make themselves feel better. I get angry easily but not as angry as I would've been if I were abit younger. So I don't mind cussing & expressing my anger if I'm pissed or annoyed but realizing there are immature people out there that use the internet to act tough.

When race was conducted, I knew I'd lose regardless but in my defense I had the shittiest bald tires you could have, opened exhaust & just overall not really doing good on launches from a still. Either way, I did good for showing up and doing my part as I believe one only loses in life's events if you give up or coward out of something. I did perform more mods and work on car after that race but I never stopped either. That G8 had 339rwhp at the time so he had me by a good 80hp. I was making killer torque which with bald tires presented me issues before that because I was just too lazy to get tires. I ate them up alot. The car was a 350 L98 car and the engine was very healthy for being almost 25 years old. I did a compression test on the whole engine at the end of 2011 & she pulled solid numbers, 150-161psi all across the board. So the engine wasn't shitty or slow, it was just the factors I mentioned already plus the G8 has better technology/power than I had put into my engine. My car before I sold it would run low 5's to a 0-60 and my best time was 4.93 seconds. 0-60 don't mean **** to most but it's something that I worked hard on getting to with that old car. Plus I raced alot of other cats around here back then and beat alot of guys in newer and same era rides, including Foxes and a Grand Prix S/C early 2000's model. I've gotten my fair share of fingers for beating them and had thumbs ups and I also got a few losses under the belt with that IROC-Z too. Well, thanks for reading guys, I just thought I'd clear up a few things since it's been awhile. Anyway, for the long post, here's video/pictures after the race & a month before I sold it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. My wife & I re-did the whole interior last summer, piece by piece almost. The upholstery was black instead of grey as before which was nice. Anyway, I love F-Body's and I'm planning to buy another one soon enough. Peace.

http://youtu.be/TX4VjMx80YY

EARLY 2011 RUN 0-135;

Last edited by IROCZTPI; 10-02-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Haha. I forgot about this thread...where an L98 only needs a T5 swap to be super fast...love it.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, t5 swap is where its at
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

To the kid that owned the iroc... I Thank you for your service. I can guarantee you that anyone posting a negative comment here or on the other forum has not served their country.

I appreciate you bro.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
To the kid that owned the iroc... I Thank you for your service. I can guarantee you that anyone posting a negative comment here or on the other forum has not served their country.

I appreciate you bro.
Been in the military = never says a bad thing (even jokingly) about anyone...ever
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Teching In

I appreciate you bro.
Well, I appreciate that buddy. I am not a kid although I wish I was because it seems like kids nowadays get all kinds of nicer cars than I had growing up, lulz. G8 GT in late teens, early 20's, as a young man, wow. I think that's pretty neat, bwhahaa.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate you bro.
I've been in almost ten years active and currenty deployed. I'm just not a fan of the Iroc's never was.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KFC_Or_Bust
It's so funny to hear the low shift points of an old junk SBC, can't beat 6k+ with an lsx engine.

Nice ownage, always appreciate these videos.

If you have never seen a Gen1 SBC spin to over 6k. You either live under a rock, know absolutely nothing about performance cars, are legitamately blind or a complete a**. Theres thousand of "old junk SBC's" that will spank youre car any day, anyway you wanna look at it.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Iroc-z bst handling car lol, guess he hasn't ever heard of the Z06/ZL1 corvette? TPI is a waste of space 160hp? maybe if that to the crank.

Thread is old as dirt too.
WOW, I reallt am dissapointed with the ignorance on these boards. If you knew anything either about F-bodys. YES, a properly setup Thirdgen is the best handling fbody car, PERIOD!! That is a fact. It also does out handle most other muscle cars, pretty much all other ones. Except the IRS Corevette. If you dont know, Camaros and Birds were built to compete against Mustangs from 1967 until now. And Thirdgens ran circles around Fox bodies. And I like Fox body stangs.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

WOW, Really????
Yes, handling, braking also straight line performance, 1/8th mile, 1/4 mile, top end, ect.....
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club

A third gen wont out handle a zl1. Not on the same tires on on the same day, same track/road.

Quick Reply: IROC vs G8GT