Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

03 Cobra vs Z06 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last point on the video: The second part was a take off shot the Vette was not attempting to race me.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimTA
Doesn't happen like that with similar cars when one has 600hp and the other has 450...I think the Z06 owner just proved that.
It's the same thing as a 400 horsepower car racing a 250 horsepower car.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:51 PM
master of the "jack"stand

My tires make no noise when spinning fyi...and a KB is a twin screw blower. You sure you know what you're talking about?
I was not talking about the tires. With tire spin, as I'm sure you know, you can audibly hear the engine jump RPMs and bog as the tires grab. I was saying that I don't hear any evidence of that, it is a very cut and clean RPM rise. It was minor tire spin if any, very easily proven by listen to the engine. Twin screw and roots blowers operate similarly when compared to a centrifugal blower, come on man, I'm sure you knew that too. There was no need to get snippy. Anyway, the Vette driver came forward and said they lifted, so now I am wondering if you know what you are talking about.

You guys are cracking me up here. I'm sure the vette runs at least low 11s. Do you know how fast of a car you have to have to go blowing by an 11 second car like that? A LOT more than 600 RWHP. I thought most people on this board were smarter than that. I'm not saying that the Cobra wasn't starting to pull on the Vette, but it is CLEAR that the Vette lifted.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
Anyway, the Vette driver came forward and said they lifted, so now I am wondering if you know what you are talking about.
Cleary I don't. Let me know if you're ever in my area and you'd like to test my knowledge. Make sure to bring an envelope full of money. I could use some more mods.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Play nice kids.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Teching In

The tire sping at 90mph is not the same as when you launch. If you get a chance to ride in a high HP car you will understand the tire spin(better word is slip) makes the car feal squirlly not just pure smokn them down.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:30 PM

I totally understand guys, just voicing my opinion. That's what message boards are about right?

I have ridden in 3 cars that are over 600 RWHP, including a BBC on 255/60 BFGoodrich Radial T/As.. I know about high speed tire slippage. I just simply wanted everyone to realize that the Z06 lifted, that's all.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both are awesome cars
Old 03-01-2004, 06:43 PM
STF Veteran

I with I had a 600 hp car! I need a damn supercharger.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by enisguy
It's the same thing as a 400 horsepower car racing a 250 horsepower car.
actually its not
Old 03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I totally understand guys, just voicing my opinion. That's what message boards are about right?

I have ridden in 3 cars that are over 600 RWHP, including a BBC on 255/60 BFGoodrich Radial T/As.. I know about high speed tire slippage. I just simply wanted everyone to realize that the Z06 lifted, that's all.
I agree that the Z06 lifted, but it would've been curtains for it anyway after traction was established.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by unit213
I agree that the Z06 lifted, but it would've been curtains for it anyway after traction was established.
Oh yeah, the boost was getting ready to kick some ***.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My thought on this, though not near as technical or what not....is this. If the KB Cobra is making around 600whp, then I assume it's putting down a pretty equal amount of TQ. My guess is, in the video is his literally running a "street" tire and (near?) stock rear suspension (not completely set up for 1/4) therefore his rpms would never "bog". Those tires are just going to spin from just about any run from a roll....well, maybe not from a 5-6 gear pull? I understand what your saying about the clean rise....but there is noway he put all that power to the ground from that low mph roll and managed to keep it there. Then again, just my opinion.

I was not talking about the tires. With tire spin, as I'm sure you know, you can audibly hear the engine jump RPMs and bog as the tires grab. I was saying that I don't hear any evidence of that, it is a very cut and clean RPM rise. It was minor tire spin if any, very easily proven by listen to the engine. Twin screw and roots blowers operate similarly when compared to a centrifugal blower, come on man, I'm sure you knew that too. There was no need to get snippy. Anyway, the Vette driver came forward and said they lifted, so now I am wondering if you know what you are talking about.

You guys are cracking me up here. I'm sure the vette runs at least low 11s. Do you know how fast of a car you have to have to go blowing by an 11 second car like that? A LOT more than 600 RWHP. I thought most people on this board were smarter than that. I'm not saying that the Cobra wasn't starting to pull on the Vette, but it is CLEAR that the Vette lifted.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Hey guys, this is the Z06 owner here. We will have another matchup soon and won't have to worry about nobody pulling in front of us this time. once we do that, we will post it up
Old 03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 97redC5
My thought on this, though not near as technical or what not....is this. If the KB Cobra is making around 600whp, then I assume it's putting down a pretty equal amount of TQ. My guess is, in the video is his literally running a "street" tire and (near?) stock rear suspension (not completely set up for 1/4) therefore his rpms would never "bog". Those tires are just going to spin from just about any run from a roll....well, maybe not from a 5-6 gear pull? I understand what your saying about the clean rise....but there is noway he put all that power to the ground from that low mph roll and managed to keep it there. Then again, just my opinion.
I like your angle. I was assuming though that he had at least a drag radials or a very sticky dry weather tire on the car. From the cars I've been in with that kind of power, you will have very noticeable tire spin from a 60 MPH roll, enough to kick the car sideways pretty good.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of tires are you running on that Cobra?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

That's an awesome car...

To me, I have no doubt the Cobra took the Z06. The Z06 got the jump, but the Cobra reeled it right back in. As the Cobra was about to completely overtake, the Z06 jumped out of it.

I thought this was pretty easy to see... I've seen some other street race videos on here that were much less clear, and everyone was pretty much unanimous on a winner.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Teching In

I am running BFG DR's. 275/40 X 17

We have been talking and we are going to run them again and hopefully the camera will be in the Vette so you can see how bad I pull away from him, it is hard to turn around and do a rear window shot.

Basically the Vette is going to get owned BAD!! I have turned up the HP by about 60rwhp since that video was shot.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uh Oh!