Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Testing out the HD170 Stealth

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Testing out the HD170 Stealth

This is an awesome camera that you don't hear too much about since the GoPro is so popular. It competes with the GoPro in every way and is/was cheaper. I actually prefer it because of the remote controlled record/stop wristband. Sound is a little rough because the camera was mounted on the side where my cutout is, let me know what you think!

[youtube]nAIIVMMVx5A[/youtube]
Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

competes with 480p against gopros 1080p, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hendrixx
competes with 480p against gopros 1080p, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Camera is 1080p capable. Do a little research next time, genius. I reduced quality for a quick upload.

I am a fan of the GoPro as well, just showing people that there are other options out there for less, the camera has won many comparison tests between it, the GoPro, and Contour. I know the GoPro fan boys will hate though.

Uploading 1080p now, wish I would have reduced the sound sensitivity but that was literally my first time using the camera, don't judge it based off of my ignorance!

Last edited by Tan327; 02-18-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesnt look anywhere near gopro quality,niceride though,

I reduced quality for a quick upload.
ok smart guy if your going to make a vid showing off your camera dont you think you would want to upload the best quality it has lol,upload a low quality version and say its just as good as a go pro,lol take a vid in 1080p and we will let ya know how good it is
Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

You can compare them side by side on Vimeo.com. I have a HD170 and I love mine.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

lolol ^^ exactly what bob said.

sorry i didnt go searching through the depths of google to find out if your camera can go 1080p or not. i think 300 bucks for a HD camera that obviously has a good name and company behind it is well worth the money.

and can you drop this HD170 from 3000ft and have it survive?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

and can you drop this HD170 from 3000ft and have it survive?
I don't see why not:

[youtube]SFAV6OzVqRs[/youtube]

Uploading a new video now, can't remember if it is 720P @ 60fps or 1080p @ 30fps.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

lol not exactly the same as being dropped from a height, seems as if the buggy hit whatever the camera was sitting on...

either way, its not half bad i guess... id just keep my trust in GoPro, and all the addons for the camera are fun to waste money on! like an lcd screen for 100 bucks so you can finally tell what the flying **** youre taking a picture of!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol not exactly the same as being dropped from a height, seems as if the buggy hit whatever the camera was sitting on...
Either way it's obvious the camera took a hard shot and didn't skip a beat. And as for dropping, constant velocity is only going to allow the camera to drop at a set speed, doesn't matter if it's dropped from 30 feet or 3,000 feet, assuming there is not a weather(wind) difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, it's been a few years since 8th grade science.

either way, its not half bad i guess... id just keep my trust in GoPro, and all the addons for the camera are fun to waste money on! like an lcd screen for 100 bucks so you can finally tell what the flying **** youre taking a picture of!

Another reason I like the HD170, has a built in screen that you can view while recording and play back on. It may seem like it, but I'm not trying to sell this camera brand to anyone and say it is better than the GoPro, just letting people know that there are options out there because I seriously think most people have only heard of the GoPro.

I showed it to a friend of mine today who is a GoPro owner and he had never even heard of the HD170, he said it looks to be built much better and talks like he is going to get one to go along with his GoPro.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tan327
Either way it's obvious the camera took a hard shot and didn't skip a beat. And as for dropping, constant velocity is only going to allow the camera to drop at a set speed, doesn't matter if it's dropped from 30 feet or 3,000 feet, assuming there is not a weather(wind) difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, it's been a few years since 8th grade science.
precisely why i said a height! i just finished 9th grade gee whiz i know this stuff already!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

precisely why i said a height! i just finished 9th grade gee whiz i know this stuff already!
Badass 9th grader with those toys in sig.

Here is the one from late this afternoon, 720p. It was right before dark(started getting dark all at once) so idk if I should have used night mode. Lighting is pretty accurate though.

Thumbnail is upside down, lol video isn't.

[youtube]CpHqZqsN0Nk[/youtube]
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a piece of ****, wind noise blows and the picture quality looks like a polaroid.

GREAT BUY!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Looks like a piece of ****, wind noise blows and the picture quality looks like a polaroid.

GREAT BUY!
Yeah, since the GoPro and Contour don't have wind noise issues. All of them do without an external mic. With my volume to the max for testing, I'd expect it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czz93wyhwyg

Check this out and tell me which quality looks realistic. I guess you're a fan of the overexposed look, we all have our own opinion! Actually, no need in even wasting time on the video, thumbnail says it all. Video is before the Drifts night mode firmware update.

[youtube]W5v36v2zpqQ[/youtube]

It looks like a POS, really? Haters gonna hate.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

well, contour is just ****. shakey, bad picture, and i dont even know if the sound is any good.

the drift didnt do very well at night time, who cares if its a "realistic" night setting or whatever, gopro - you can see at night time, drift - you cant.

gopro is always steady, always good picture, and this overexposure stuff doesnt bother me, give the picture more colour and life if you ask me... its winter here, i have 2 gopros, a old one and the new gopro 2, i am going to be making 1000000000 vids this year from the street races and all, and im going to buy a good editing system too... me and my buddies all drive fairly fast cars, and some of them have bikes as well as i..

you can never go wrong with a gopro, so for the extra.. what, 100 bucks over the drift? i say itd be worth it.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, contour is just ****. shakey, bad picture, and i dont even know if the sound is any good.

the drift didnt do very well at night time, who cares if its a "realistic" night setting or whatever, gopro - you can see at night time, drift - you cant.

gopro is always steady, always good picture, and this overexposure stuff doesnt bother me, give the picture more colour and life if you ask me... its winter here, i have 2 gopros, a old one and the new gopro 2, i am going to be making 1000000000 vids this year from the street races and all, and im going to buy a good editing system too... me and my buddies all drive fairly fast cars, and some of them have bikes as well as i..

you can never go wrong with a gopro, so for the extra.. what, 100 bucks over the drift? i say itd be worth it.
I agree, you can't go wrong with the GoPro. I'm just posting what else is out there, if nobody did this we would all be running expensive Kooks headers, Hypertech programmers, and GM hot cams. I like to be different, without losing quality.

My night test sucked, quality was reduced for a quick upload and that street is DARK. Youtube kept randomly deleting the 1080p version after upload. I'll ride around our small city one night and or hit up the track and see how it does.

Here is pretty cool/crazy night test, again before the firmware update that increased night performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGwHwi5Cnk
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

well this is a vid I made, sound is pretty decent at speeds of 150mph, and of course picture quality is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lREKBopZrn8

and this is another vid, again, just touching 120mph on the straight, but it shows how steady the picture is and how good the sound is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uct4ACvV-ZE
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Tan are you stupid?? The The stealth 170 hd does not compete with the original GOPRO and they cost about the same. 2. The one they are showing on the video is a Drift hd wich is better than the 170 and it run about $370.. The GOPRO hero 2 cost right around 300 and kills them both, you cant beat the quality.u got what u payed for
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28GONZO
Tan are you stupid?? The The stealth 170 hd does not compete with the original GOPRO and they cost about the same. 2. The one they are showing on the video is a Drift hd wich is better than the 170 and it run about $370.. The GOPRO hero 2 cost right around 300 and kills them both, you cant beat the quality.u got what u payed for
Wrong, every single video I have posted clearly states they are using the HD170. The Drift HD was not even out in 2010. Who's the stupid one again?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

uhh.... every title of the video says its using the drift hd?

i dont get it
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything I have read online (of course that's not the end all be all) says it is a great camera and it got great reviews. $159 for the Drift HD170 is not a bad price at all.