Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012 | 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Nice run Packy, i love the ccw's
Old 02-29-2012 | 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
Packs, nice DD.
I got a little worried at first that you sold the T/A, that Ford is flying!
I will never sell the TA unless it is to fund another TA or maybe ZO 6...
Old 02-29-2012 | 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Packy is SLOW!

JK! car is looking good man, glad to see your still around!
Old 02-29-2012 | 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Packy
My best run that day was 11.13@128mph with a 1.75 sixty foot still bogging a bit off the line.

If your car is bogging, then that is what is killing your E.T and 60 ft. When you bog, you're not in boost and it knocks the breath out of the little 4.6.

I have found that the Cobra runs quicker and gets a better 60 ft. if it can spin the tires a little on the launch (just enough spin to kill the bog). I usually air my tires up to around 16/17 psi and launch around 4000 rpms.
Old 02-29-2012 | 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
If your car is bogging, then that is what is killing your E.T and 60 ft. When you bog, you're not in boost and it knocks the breath out of the little 4.6.

I have found that the Cobra runs quicker and gets a better 60 ft. if it can spin the tires a little on the launch (just enough spin to kill the bog). I usually air my tires up to around 16/17 psi and launch around 4000 rpms.
I remember you saying that. I tried that but need more practice to find the sweet spot. So far 16-17 psi and 4000-4200 rpms on launching but still bogging. I just need more seat time is all and my bone stock suspended irs Cobra will get to where all these cam only cars are. (;
Old 02-29-2012 | 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by It'llrun

Finally, to add insult to injury(not that you know it yet) the quickest door slammer LS1 powered F-body isn't even CLOSE to the quickest likewise door slammer 4.6L powered Mustang... I'm talking nearly 2 SECONDS slower... So far back, it wouldn't look like the F-body was racing. The quickest LQ powered F-body is still some 6 tenths behind the quickest 4.6L Mustang... I'm not a Ford only kind of guy. I just happen to be sensible and educated enough to know the truth of the matter and you aren't.
Sandi Wold has the quickest 4.6l mod motor door slammer at a 7.32, weighing in at 2900lbs.

Here's a list of door slammer ls1 cars that are pretty quick:

Mike Brown Ohio Boys trans am: 7.27@200mph, 3470lbs
Steve Turley: 7.43@198mph
Tom Kempf's former car: 7:48@190mph, 3450lbs
All on DR's.

Depends on your definition of door slammer of course.

Original body, door slammer, trans am, 570lbs heavier, driven by Mike Brown:

BTW, the quickest LS car isn't Mike Moran's Camaro anymore.
Though, it is worth noting that the camaro was about 3000lbs vs. John Mihovetz' car's weight of 2400lbs...
No one has built a car in the same class as John's car.

Andreas' 6.73 monte comes close, but he's also heavier at 2550lbs and only made 1800hp on unleaded fuel vs. John's 2300+hp.

Ultimately, it's all Apples vs. Oranges.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 02-29-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Packy
I remember you saying that. I tried that but need more practice to find the sweet spot. So far 16-17 psi and 4000-4200 rpms on launching but still bogging. I just need more seat time is all and my bone stock suspended irs Cobra will get to where all these cam only cars are. (;

Try airing up the tires a little till it spins.

On a good hooking track; I've ran as much as 19psi in the tires.

You keep on running your Cobra is gonna force me to spend the money for a twin disc clutch for mine
Old 03-01-2012 | 08:18 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

While you think I'm ignorant, I'm laughing because I know so much more than you, starting with "how to pay attention."
We go from a not impressive mustang to max effort cars with hundreds of thousands invested. How dose that make any sense. I didn't have the numbers but the above poster did and seems like LSX cars are hanging right there with the top mustangs!?!?! Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention but that is what it looks like to me.

What people don't like to relise is that anyting can be made to run. Mustangs take an assload to get them were anything LS takes very very little. Event your superchared mustang is already forced inducted and many guys with a gear swap and tune are running with them in th 12s.

There is a clear reason why so many guys take a lightweight fox body and slap a LSx under the hood and smash most anything around! Light chassis and engine making real power under the hood.

P.S. Please don't turn this into a pissing match about the Maxx effort builds. If you want to prove your point about simple builds good luck.

Last edited by custm2500; 03-01-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Sandi Wold has the quickest 4.6l mod motor door slammer at a 7.32, weighing in at 2900lbs.

Here's a list of door slammer ls1 cars that are pretty quick:

Mike Brown Ohio Boys trans am: 7.27@200mph, 3470lbs
Steve Turley: 7.43@198mph
Tom Kempf's former car: 7:48@190mph, 3450lbs
All on DR's.

Depends on your definition of door slammer of course.

Original body, door slammer, trans am, 570lbs heavier, driven by Mike Brown:

BTW, the quickest LS car isn't Mike Moran's Camaro anymore.
Though, it is worth noting that the camaro was about 3000lbs vs. John Mihovetz' car's weight of 2400lbs...
No one has built a car in the same class as John's car.

Andreas' 6.73 monte comes close, but he's also heavier at 2550lbs and only made 1800hp on unleaded fuel vs. John's 2300+hp.

Ultimately, it's all Apples vs. Oranges.
Maybe you have a different definition of "door slammer" than I have... To me, it's a car in which the door both opens and closes for driver access... It may or may not be a "tube chassis" car. For me, it's just one the body doesn't lift off of for entry or drive train access and not requiring the driver to slip through the window hole.
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/th...d-pass-at-lvm/

Note that car...6.19@ 235mph... And the door opens...

I'm not sure I need to go looking for info in all these cases: I already know the Turley(and presumably Brown) car doesn't use a GM production block, nor an LS1. The last I saw(could be different now) was an ERL LS2 block. At least it's aluminum. The Mustang, on the other hand, uses a factory 4.6L and factory heads and a factory crank. No part of the Turley engine was cast in any way, shape, or form, by General Motors. The bigger point, however, is whether or not it's an LS1. When we step away from that, to say... a 427 w/ aftermarket everything, that does change the topic and still, 6.19 is HELLA QUICKER than 6.73 no matter who is asking... Also, his car uses an LSX block, and I specifically mentioned LS1 and F-body... for a reason.

Anyway, my point isn't to talk down any car. I just get tired of seeing people with virtually no clue whatsoever, coming in and trying to "school" the rest of us. It's at its worst when the "story" is about something that doesn't even exist, like a REAL LS1 engine that survived 6's on the 1/4... I could've gone on about how many non-4.6L Mustangs have been in the 6's, typically with a stroked 351W. Not here for that. Only making a point because kids sometimes bug me.

Originally Posted by custm2500
P.S. Please don't turn this into a pissing match about the Maxx effort builds. If you want to prove your point about simple builds good luck.
You don't get to be in the debate AND set all the rules so that you'll stand a chance of survival. I'll make my points while you claim it isn't really fair because... <insert whiny reason here>

There was a 2003 Cobra that ran 9.89(in 2002) without ANY internal changes to the engine and without ever removing the valve covers... Get back to when you see an LS1 F-body do that.

NOW LET'S GET BACK TO PACKYS "turd" ... this time maybe you can try being respectful too, since it's probably a tad quicker than your "car" runs anyway.
Old 03-01-2012 | 06:55 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I should run just slower then him N/A in my 2500 HD truck. Now I will have more then a few modifications but yes a "TAD" quicker is all he should have on me. Then I have 350 of nitrous I can drop on top and my truck will leave his 15 psi in the dust.

I am not setting all the rules. I was just trying to keep it an argument about apples to apples with this turd of a mustang in the OP. 15 psi on a stock LS1 and you should be running 9s fairly easy.
Old 03-01-2012 | 07:12 PM
Banned

When the likes of children such as yourself call me ignorant, then follow up with the nonsense you did here... I've already won, son.

First, note the mph... 128 isn't just a suggestion, it's obvious proof the car can run quicker, maybe once he gets some seat time.

Second, 2003-4 Cobras are NOT high 13 second cars... They're high 12 second cars, box stock as a rock. It only depends who's driving.

Third, "with a ton of mods"... Including ZERO done to the internals of the engine, a 2003 Cobra ran 9.8's back in 2002... Lucky to run 12's? I think not, Sherlock...

Fourth, if you had a clue, you might be dangerous...

Finally, to add insult to injury(not that you know it yet) the quickest door slammer LS1 powered F-body isn't even CLOSE to the quickest likewise door slammer 4.6L powered Mustang... I'm talking nearly 2 SECONDS slower... So far back, it wouldn't look like the F-body was racing. The quickest LQ powered F-body is still some 6 tenths behind the quickest 4.6L Mustang... I'm not a Ford only kind of guy. I just happen to be sensible and educated enough to know the truth of the matter and you aren't.

So while you're totally unimpressed by 11's from these "slow" Mustangs, I'm rather unimpressed that the LS1 can't even SURVIVE the power one might achieve with even a 4.6L DOHC... While you're impressed with the LS1 after a cam swap, I'm more impressed with the 4.6L with just a pulley swap, which is less painful, less expensive, less time consuming, and easier to accomplish!

While you think I'm ignorant, I'm laughing because I know so much more than you, starting with "how to pay attention."
Take note buddy that the 4.6 motors you are talking about ARE FORGED 4.6's and not regular 4.6's like an LS1 is practicly a regular alluminum 5.7L. For some reason you left the forged motor part out huh? I got a 5.7L LME forged LS1 sitting on top of my cars K member waiting on the Precision turbo to come in mail So I can sit that bad boy in what was ALREADY a 11.1 sec stock botom, stock headed, mild cammed LS1 with ONLY 6 psi boost!. With this setup going in anyday now IT WILL run 9's and STILL have A/C and powersteering' and full interior (sickening huh?).

Last edited by ilovechevy1; 03-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Heater
This is from his signature: Whipple 2.3, Accufab TB, Steeda CAI, KB BAP, 60 lb. Inj, SCT XCal, Bassani Headers catted X with Catback. My DD

It's his DD; his fast car is a super sweet *** Black WS6
Funny' When my STOCK bottom LS1 with stock heads and 6lbs of boost was running 11.1's...YOU where the one calling it slow for it's mods. Funny when it's another Cobra running those times that has 3x's the boost (no offence to Packy's Cobra cause it's nice car) you praise it , I run those times in my ss and you gave me BIG **** for it. Shows somthing about you I'd say.

Last edited by ilovechevy1; 03-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by custm2500
I should run just slower then him N/A in my 2500 HD truck. Now I will have more then a few modifications but yes a "TAD" quicker is all he should have on me. Then I have 350 of nitrous I can drop on top and my truck will leave his 15 psi in the dust.
I should be a BILLIONAIRE... Oh well.

Attention to detail... 128mph... You'll probably be TOAST if his car hooks! His 60 was 1.75... Hooked slicks can drop that to 1.40-1.35 and he runs 8 tenths quicker just like that. I'd bet that WILL happen, because he's learning the car. Guys like you talk about what "should" happen... if ever you GET to the track and race... This is the nonsense I'm tired of here. You can(and will) guess all you want. That won't make it accurate.

I am not setting all the rules. I was just trying to keep it an argument about apples to apples with this turd of a mustang in the OP. 15 psi on a stock LS1 and you should be running 9s fairly easy.
Okay then... I've seen 15psi on a STOCK LS1... It ain't likely to run 9's, but it IS likely to EXPLODE!

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
Take note buddy that the 4.6 motors you are talking about ARE FORGED 4.6's and not regular 4.6's like an LS1 is practicly a regular alluminum 5.7L. For some reason you left the forged motor part out huh? I got a 5.7L LME forged LS1 sitting on top of my cars K member waiting on the Precision turbo to come in mail So I can sit that bad boy in what was ALREADY a 11.1 sec stock bootom, stock headed, mild cammed LS1 with ONLY 6 psi boost!. With this setup going in anyday now IT WILL run 9's and STILL have A/C and powersteering' and full interior (sickening huh?).
I wasn't describing the engines in the least. If you think I was, sorry... I merely said what parts were used to make my point. I can't help it that GM decided not to forge the LS1 or that Ford decided to forge the 4.6L As far as I know, the 2003/4 Cobras got largely the same build, using forged components. Others typically(so it seems) got forged cranks, but not rods or pistons... I didn't design or build either engine for either manufacturer.

As I've told you before, your car is fairly impressive. That said, I'm not here to pat you on the back, particularly over what you're GONNA do someday... 9's aren't exactly unheard of, ya know. As I said before, a STOCK UNDER THE VALVE COVERS 2003 4.6L Cobra ran 9's... Are you getting the point yet, or is it atop your head? Your engine can run well, SPECIFICALLY if you TOTALLY REBUILD IT! It's clear enough... Ford chose better parts for the Mustang than GM did for the 4th gen and any new Camaro, except the ZL1. Don't shoot the messenger simply because you dislike the message...

Can't win 'em all... move on.

Funny' When my STOCK bottom LS1 with stock heads and 6lbs of boost was running 11.1's...YOU where the one calling it slow for it's mods. Funny when it's another Cobra running those times (no offence to Packy's Cobra cause it's nice car) you gave me BIG **** for it. Shows somthing about you I'd say.
As stated above... 128mph... That's all anyone really needs to know in this case. Your car ran 7mph slower and reached the same ET... Your 60 was .2 quicker, but you didn't add two more on the long end... you lost them. I suspect his Cobra is FAR LESS modified than your Camaro...

Again, I'm not here to rag on anyone... These "I'm clueless about racing" comments simply wear old... Believe it or not, you ARE clueless about drag racing... so far. You'll learn, but you don't know what PACKY knows, trust me. In fact, you're ABOUT to begin finding out how right that statement is, as soon as this new package arrives. You're NOT simply going to drop it in and run a 9... You THINK you are, but I'll tell you in advance, you're not. Indeed, you'll be lucky to run a 10 on your 1st pass... How would I know? Because I actually DO know a thing or two about drag racing. I've been around it long enough to know, I still learn all the time. The quicker you go, the easier it used to be and often, the more fun it used to be.

So settle in and simmer down a bit. That way, you won't embarrass yourself on that 1st trip to the track AND have to eat crow...
Old 03-01-2012 | 08:47 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I say should because my engine is on a stand and wont be in the truck for another week or two. Then I wait till April 13 to get it to the track. Get some passes and get the tune worked out. Guys with less aggressive 408s with trucks slightly lighter then mine should be are running low 11s.

Sorry I don't have slips yet to prove my self, but all things point to solid 11s then I open the bottle and should easily be 9s before long. Again all hersay untill I have a slip. Only reason I brought it up is you tried to play the hardass card that my **** can't run with the mustang.

On another point you made is the LS1 doesn't need to be forged and it makes tons of power. Guys are running 15 and 20 lbs on stock bottom end LS engines and running 9s in trucks. I am sure there are plenty of cars going faster, but as you can probably tell I am a truck guy. If you really want to be emberased about your beloved mustangs stop over to performancetrucks.net and check out the guys with stock bottom end 4.8s running 9s and 10s. At around 15-18 psi of boost.

To the OP it is a decent car and low 11s are something to take pride in. Only problem I have with the car is how much effort it takes to make low 11s.
Old 03-01-2012 | 09:33 PM
Banned

Attention to detail... 128mph... You'll probably be TOAST if his car hooks! His 60 was 1.75... Hooked slicks can drop that to 1.40-1.35 and he runs 8 tenths quicker just like that. I'd bet that WILL happen, because he's learning the car. Guys like you talk about what "should" happen... if ever you GET to the track and race... This is the nonsense I'm tired of here. You can(and will) guess all you want. That won't make it accurate.

Okay then... I've seen 15psi on a STOCK LS1... It ain't likely to run 9's, but it IS likely to EXPLODE!

I wasn't describing the engines in the least. If you think I was, sorry... I merely said what parts were used to make my point. I can't help it that GM decided not to forge the LS1 or that Ford decided to forge the 4.6L As far as I know, the 2003/4 Cobras got largely the same build, using forged components. Others typically(so it seems) got forged cranks, but not rods or pistons... I didn't design or build either engine for either manufacturer.

As I've told you before, your car is fairly impressive. That said, I'm not here to pat you on the back, particularly over what you're GONNA do someday... 9's aren't exactly unheard of, ya know. As I said before, a STOCK UNDER THE VALVE COVERS 2003 4.6L Cobra ran 9's... Are you getting the point yet, or is it atop your head? Your engine can run well, SPECIFICALLY if you TOTALLY REBUILD IT! It's clear enough... Ford chose better parts for the Mustang than GM did for the 4th gen and any new Camaro, except the ZL1. Don't shoot the messenger simply because you dislike the message...

Can't win 'em all... move on.

As stated above... 128mph... That's all anyone really needs to know in this case. Your car ran 7mph slower and reached the same ET... Your 60 was .2 quicker, but you didn't add two more on the long end... you lost them. I suspect his Cobra is FAR LESS modified than your Camaro...

Again, I'm not here to rag on anyone... These "I'm clueless about racing" comments simply wear old... Believe it or not, you ARE clueless about drag racing... so far. You'll learn, but you don't know what PACKY knows, trust me. In fact, you're ABOUT to begin finding out how right that statement is, as soon as this new package arrives. You're NOT simply going to drop it in and run a 9... You THINK you are, but I'll tell you in advance, you're not. Indeed, you'll be lucky to run a 10 on your 1st pass... How would I know? Because I actually DO know a thing or two about drag racing. I've been around it long enough to know, I still learn all the time. The quicker you go, the easier it used to be and often, the more fun it used to be.

So settle in and simmer down a bit. That way, you won't embarrass yourself on that 1st trip to the track AND have to eat crow...
Please then my good man, expain to me oh mighty drag racer, how is my car not going to run atleast a full second faster after I add 250+ RWHP to it?. It was 11.1 already with a 1.5 60ft..hmm. I must know a lil about drag racing to do that huh, or did it happen on accident? The motor that I'm putting in as we speak has forged rods, pistons, Brute speed boost cam, PRC 317 P&P heads with ARP studs on nearly every part of it. The Turbo ( should've been here already but appearently they had to "build it") is Precision 72mm (capable of 900 RWHP) that I will be running 16 psi through, and of course I have the rest of the turbo kit here at house getting mocked up. Take note the motor I ran 11.1 with had 100% stock heads and a 100% stock botom end! The cam was waaaay off from being speced for boost ( imagine a LS6 cam except with a shitty lsa) along with having stock rails (fast rails goin on), 60lb injectors ( 80's going on now) along with alot of other changes as well. If my car does'nt run 9.9...then it will run atleast a 10.1.Think about it man, my 60ft is there and should'nt change largely with such a small turbo spooling fast (3k stall to aid). If it does'nt run a 9.9 then it will only require some massaging to get it there. Feel free to go to my youtube page and see how lil about drag racing I know. I know plenty, and I'm only 25 but been at the track since I could read , and been racing sense I had my first car at 16 (84 trans am). I know enough that adding 250+ rwhp WILL drop around a second or more off my ET, even off a car that already ran fairly quiclky for a full weight DD.

I'm not "ABOUT" to start finding out anything that I did'nt already know. I have had 14 sec N/A cars, 13 sec N/A cars, 12 sec Nitrous cars, 11 sec supercharged car/'s, and now I'ma have a 9 second fully built motor/ turbocharged car. I'm starting to see a pattern here lol. There is no secreat formula that you know that I don't. Not trying to **** anybody off here, but I can tell a Ford nutt swinger on a GM site when I see one. Forge and fully build a 4.6 all you want. Physics at the end of the day will prevail and prove that 5.7>4.6. Put the best head's, pistons, ect ect on both motors and Albert Einstein will slap all the small motor belivers back into place. I'm confident that even a Ford motor with MORE dispplacement could make more HP in the long run than a GM motor with less displacement. Can't call that being biased at all cause that's just phsics. I'm not gona clap my hands for Ford because they got there *** kicked by LS1's so they forged and boosted a 4.6 and was BARELY faster. Stock F bodies have ran high 12's before just like Termi's have so they did'nt do anything that special if you ask me. I have pimped slapped a many of a modded Termi's at the track and they where running 2 x more boost than me, and now I'm on my way to pimp slap even more of them. Just how I roll man lol
Old 03-01-2012 | 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

You 2 DREAMERS let us know how things go if/when you ever get to the track and LEARN what you're talking about.

We're done here.
Old 03-01-2012 | 10:45 PM
Banned

You 2 DREAMERS let us know how things go if/when you ever get to the track and LEARN what you're talking about.

We're done here.
**** you old man and your "LEARNING" here's my DD with A/C, PS, and my sons car seat still in the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUErh...el_video_title

If you think I'm bullshitting you in ANY way shape or form, I will GLADY post a vid on this thread of my 90% stock old motor hanging from a hoist (that's getting sold in JX FL saturday to another Tech member), and my LMR forged 347 with 60% of the turbo kit on it already sitting on the K member bolted up with Sphoon solid motor mounts and the built tranny bolted to the back of it..dare me to!! Feel free to search my UN and see all the stuff I have pulled off my car that I have sold to help fund this build. I did ALL the work myself (except the engine build) as far as removal and installation goes. Are YOU building a 9 second DD with A/C ,PS and full interior that your kids can ride in?? I'm 25 and I'm doing most this **** on my own old man. Say what you want, when the light's drop, the bullshit stops! Everything about my past car times/ build I can prove as well as my current setup that I've only got 2 weeks worth of work into yet I'm 70% done with it. Money is'nt the issue, getting the parts I have ordered IS! I have a nack about proving ppl wrong when it comes to cars, seems you WILL be next on my list. Gimme a few weeks and you WILL see a thread of a DD low low looow 10 sec on high 9 second car with full int, A/C and PS (+ sons car seat). keep telling me to learn all you want..I don't learn, I PROVE
Old 03-02-2012 | 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

The part you're not getting is this simple... I don't CARE what you did after 10,000 other people figured out HOW and offered the parts for people like you, who didn't... You bought parts... You had them installed... Congratulations! You're waiting to do it again. Congratulations again!

I'm NOT building a 9 second DD... I'm more educated than that. I did it, then learned why it wasn't worth it. I just hope you don't crash it learning how to drive. I also hope you use some common sense and make sure it's in compliance with all safety needs.

I can tell you're convinced, the INSTANT you fire it up, you'll have yourself a 9 second car... Good luck, rookie.

No, btw, I don't think you're bullshitting me... I think you're bullshitting YOU!

You got 1 thing right. When the lights drop, the bullshit stops... Lemme know how that works out for ya... I'd ALMOST BET you won't run a 9 anything the 1st time on the track... I don't bet. Just go do it. You're still wet behind the ears where engine building is concerned... I'll sit here and wait for you to go get that 9sec pass that's ALREADY, just inside this conversation, turned into LOW 10's... Please... Confidence, anyone?

Don't waste your time being so hateful... You'll only make me laugh at you. I don't EVEN care if you're in a bad mood, but showing me by making a fool of yourself won't help your cause.
Old 03-02-2012 | 01:03 AM
10 Second Club

**** it I will run your LSX truck with a 350 shot in my Trans Am with full interior, a/c, p/s, and my daughters car seat and spank your ***. Who gives a ****? Run your car and have fun. It's not like we are professionals here...
Old 03-02-2012 | 02:57 AM
On The Tree

Funny' When my STOCK bottom LS1 with stock heads and 6lbs of boost was running 11.1's...YOU where the one calling it slow for it's mods. Funny when it's another Cobra running those times that has 3x's the boost (no offence to Packy's Cobra cause it's nice car) you praise it , I run those times in my ss and you gave me BIG **** for it. Shows somthing about you I'd say.

It was his first time at the track with it tuned, you tard. Did you not read the thread where he was discussing getting used to his car?

BTW, apparently you still haven't figured out the correlation between boost and cubic inches yet...of course it is going to require more boost for 281 cubic inches to run with a 346.

Quick Reply: Video Of Packy's Cobra At The Track