Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Photo Shoot (96 Viper)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Do yourself a favor and don't drive either...the first time I drove a C6ZO6, it planted a seed of doubt in my mind as to whether or not I wanted to keep modding my '02 SS. After I drove the Viper...well, it isn't too hard to figure out what happened next. Both cars are fantastic, and light years beyond an f-body in every aspect. I never wanted to believe it until I spent some time in both.
Ya I hear you on that, its very easier for me to believe. It wouldnt be for years down the road but I can imagine how much better they are than a 4th Gen. Luckily for me I set a goal for my WS6 and will stop once its reached. The next toy will just be an addition to the collection..
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StoleIt
They are very different cars.

The Z06 can be driven every day, and is faster/better performer in every measurable category.

The Viper is just jaw dropping. It's angry, it's silly, it's drunk with power. In the two weeks of Viper ownership I've had people stop their car and gawk. Take pictures. Have conversations with me. Never had that once with Z06.

So...choose wisely.
Could you live with the Viper everyday? How's the gas mileage (I know, haha) on the Viper, straight highway driving with the cruise set? Would you ever take the Viper on a long road trip? My cars all but sold now, and I was looking to replace it with a Corvette; but I didn't realize a Viper doesn't cost much, if any, more to own. Always loved them, only reason I want a Corvette is the performance, the Viper has that and the factor.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
Could you live with the Viper everyday? How's the gas mileage (I know, haha) on the Viper, straight highway driving with the cruise set? Would you ever take the Viper on a long road trip? My cars all but sold now, and I was looking to replace it with a Corvette; but I didn't realize a Viper doesn't cost much, if any, more to own. Always loved them, only reason I want a Corvette is the performance, the Viper has that and the factor.
The earlier Vipers have always been classified as harsh and not very daily driver friendly. The later ones are supposed to be a little more civilized, but I'd say that they are about as civilized as, say, fixing a pair of glasses with a sledgehammer.

I drove mine back from Oklahoma the day I bought it, which was about 13 hours or so with stops for gas factored in. I got 24MPG on two stretches, but it was closer to its rated 22MPG on the rest. City driving nets MPGs in the low teens.

Oh, and no cruise control, at least not on mine. I think there's an aftermarket solution for the Gen IIIs, but I'm still waiting on one for mine. It'd be much more friendly with that. Cabin heating is a bit of an issue too with the side exhaust, but is manageable. I was running the A/C for most of my drive home, and temps were in the 40s.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

I always had a soft spot for the GTS, the RT just doesn't do it for me.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

What a beauty !
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Originally Posted by Tainted
I dont think they sound all that bad. No worse than a lsx car with longtubes, no cats and dumps/bullets
People who don't think a Viper with exhaust mods doesn't sound good are the same people who think Formula 1 cars sound shitty. They should be kicked out of the automotive world.

My friend's '08 Viper with headers and aftermarket catback sounds beautiful barreling down Road America's front stretch at 160 MPH. I can't comprehend how any car guy wouldn't think the same.

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/CeVCYFDdzAY
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

^They don't sound good at idle, or with quiet exhaust, but with loud exhaust they sound wicked, better than a V8 IMO.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The earlier Vipers have always been classified as harsh and not very daily driver friendly. The later ones are supposed to be a little more civilized, but I'd say that they are about as civilized as, say, fixing a pair of glasses with a sledgehammer.

I drove mine back from Oklahoma the day I bought it, which was about 13 hours or so with stops for gas factored in. I got 24MPG on two stretches, but it was closer to its rated 22MPG on the rest. City driving nets MPGs in the low teens.

Oh, and no cruise control, at least not on mine. I think there's an aftermarket solution for the Gen IIIs, but I'm still waiting on one for mine. It'd be much more friendly with that. Cabin heating is a bit of an issue too with the side exhaust, but is manageable. I was running the A/C for most of my drive home, and temps were in the 40s.
That's not too bad, I'm only 22 so my body can take the harsh ride just fine. 24mpg isn't bad, I plan on doing the power tour, which is a lot of boring highway driving where I would want good MPGs. I couldn't care less about bad gas mileage when beating on it.

No cruise sucks, but they have fixes for that I see. The heat is just from the cats, correct? Those would be coming out anyway, no smog testing of any type up here. The GTS Vipers have always been a wall poster car for me, while Corvettes are pretty bland in comparison.

Quick Reply: Photo Shoot (96 Viper)