Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Pictures of Buddies 2002 SOM WS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
What's the deal with the power steering coolers?
The OEM coolers leak which allow powersteering fluid to seep into the coolant. Very common problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...oler-pics.html

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR
I disconnected my power steering lines from the radiator line that helps cool the p/s fluid as I have been told by gm mechanic that they can fail and cause big problems and the p/s fluid doesn't really heat up that much. If you do auto-x then add an external one separate to work with no issues.
He was right about the failing part but wrong about the heating up part. They most definitely heat up a ton if you do any kind of road course driving.
Old 06-13-2012 | 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
The OEM coolers leak which allow powersteering fluid to seep into the coolant. Very common problem.

He was right about the failing part but wrong about the heating up part. They most definitely heat up a ton if you do any kind of road course driving.
That's what I said, and he is not wrong due to he was saying it for normal street driving. Yes on racing like auto x and what not it will heat up and want to have an external cooler.
Old 06-13-2012 | 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR
That's what I said, and he is not wrong due to he was saying it for normal street driving. Yes on racing like auto x and what not it will heat up and want to have an external cooler.
It still gets hot on the street especially if you live somewhere warm. I suppose I was reiterating though.

My powersteering fluid got so hot and so much pressure built up that the cap exploded off the pump spraying powersteering fluid all over the engine bay during an HPDE event.
Old 06-13-2012 | 12:53 PM
On The Tree

That sucks. I live in Utah where it gets pretty hot and have yet to have any issues (knock on wood). I will be installing a small cooler for it though, something from summit probably.
Old 06-13-2012 | 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shockwave179

Good to know....haven't had any problems with mine after 10 years thankfully. But it's only got 18k miles on it.
Old 06-14-2012 | 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Good to know....haven't had any problems with mine after 10 years thankfully. But it's only got 18k miles on it.
It's probably because you hardly put mileage on that car. Go out and drive!

Old 06-18-2012 | 04:44 PM
Captain Double Post

Did he clear coat any of the polished stuff, im doing my engine bay right now and polishing is so much fun, not really but im making sure to clear coat everything so it stays nice

Quick Reply: Pictures of Buddies 2002 SOM WS6