Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

New GMMH DIck Harrell Commemorative Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes their back lot had about 30 camaros left. They are all hard top either 1LE, police cars, or used cars with low mileage...not that it matters how much they have anyway. They had originally had another project in the works, but the deal fell through and they knew they had these 30 cars and a wide body kit to do, so.....Dick Harrell came to mind and I car think of no better man to do a car after.

I don't know exactly if they are going to do GTO's, but I do know that they have a Corvette project in the works.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

There will be a total of 32 Dick Harrell cars available for sale through Berger Chevrolet. There will be 2 additionals made (in case an Owner totals it). And then there is the prototype which was unveiled this past weekend at GMMG. I don't know who gets it...probably Chevrolet.

The wheels are Fikse Profil 13 ... get this ... 18x12 in the rear 18x11 in the front. Front wears 315 and the rears are 335.

This particular car was upgraded to the 427 ci engine. It has a nice lope to it.

Additionally, the body parts ARE NOT carbon fiber. I personally saw the next car being produced in the GMMG shop and the fender flares are made of sheet metal grafted onto the stock fender. The hood, rear spoiler, and front spoiler are fiberglass. There is quite a bit of bodywork to make these panels fit .. especially around the doors.

Rear-end is a Moser 12-bolt. I don't know the gear ratio. Brakes were Corvette calipers, but appeareed to be f-body rotors.

Springs are the Eibach Pro-Kit...don't know about the shocks.

Interior had a 6-point cage, NICE leather and suede seats, and a Hurst shift ****...that's about it.

And yes, there were 34 cars out back that were destined to be Dick Harrell cars. All were Z-28s.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Hmm...weird I was under the impression that the fenders on the cars were to be carbon fiber, but maybe I miss heard Ron. At any rate I will have to read through Matt Murphy's post over at Dick Harrell to get more info, or just ask one of the guys. I was asking at the unveiling just before the event started, and I think everyone was anxious and nervous. Beautiful car none the less, and I thought it was cool that they had another car back in the paint booth that was awaiting fitment. They have their hands full with this project, especially with the fitment issues that they had on the prototype. The body guy said the first panels they baked were really weak and brittle, what makes the process slower is that they have to reuse the molds over and over again. I think that with time and more testing the panels will start comming together like greased cat ...hole.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

The hood on the Prototype is definetly Carbon Fiber, as well as several other panels. This is not the standard producton material, although I think they will all have the CF hood. The motor in that car was rated at 650, and I saw its dyno sheet resulting in 530-something rwhp. The car sounds great, and word to the wise: those 335s are no where near enough to hold that thing down. Thats a lotta rubber to be burning. As far as the GTOs, One of their customers, Sean, had one that put down something like 513rwhp on the spray. Not sure what engine package he had.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to Mr Murphy and he stated that they were working on a Corvette package after this until the 07 Camaro comes out. I also talked with Scott Settlemire and he stated that GM is looking into different things right now but it is promising especially with the car that "they are not building and that he can not talk about". So we will see.

Rims are 18x12's in the back 18x10's in the front. I am in several of those pics and so is my wife....630 h.p..... quite impressive as it tooled around the Marriot Hotel parking lot at 2 a.m.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

That is just flat out gorgeous
Old 06-03-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Time to cash in equity on the house. Are these really even going to be availible to the general public??
Old 06-03-2004, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Well the Stg III is going for a cool 122K............
Old 06-03-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

I personally saw this car in Atlanta this past weekend and all I can say is Car is simply badass and sounds mean as hell.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm interesting car&color.I'am starting to thinking about copying those fat front & rear fender designs.They look good.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like I need to head down the road to Berger and see if and when they are going to have one of these bad boys there for me to drool over.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Damn, they need to mass produce those hoods. First not disgusting cowl hood i've seen on an ls1 camaro. Wouldn't mind having that engine either.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Teching In

i saw this thing at the stl stop of the power tour. they had it on the 1/4 strip. the thing couldn't hook to save its soul, and it still pulled a 12 sec flat run. And I mean it was all over the place in first gear. I dont remember the '60 times but im pretty sure they were mid 2's .
Old 06-10-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

dude i saw that in person at hot rod power tour kickoff in arlington 122k damn damn
Old 06-11-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Wonder what it'll get with slicks???
Old 06-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I know one of the guys that builds the cars...well several of them, and the bench mark for the cars is to be mid 10's on motor. I think with a good driver, and a set of slicks that is way more than doable. With that wide body kit you squeeze alot wider rubber under the fender than normal. The ZL-1's are capable of doing low 11's if you were able to make them hook, but there again traction and driver are the key.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

I just noticed this but this car is designed(at least appearance wise) just like the GM Performance Division car isn't it? Well and that car also had a 427 in it.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Seen this car in person and its is badass!!! Almost got a ride in it but I got tired of waiting.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
There will be a total of 32 Dick Harrell cars available for sale through Berger Chevrolet. There will be 2 additionals made (in case an Owner totals it). And then there is the prototype which was unveiled this past weekend at GMMG. I don't know who gets it...probably Chevrolet.

The wheels are Fikse Profil 13 ... get this ... 18x12 in the rear 18x11 in the front. Front wears 315 and the rears are 335.

This particular car was upgraded to the 427 ci engine. It has a nice lope to it.

Additionally, the body parts ARE NOT carbon fiber. I personally saw the next car being produced in the GMMG shop and the fender flares are made of sheet metal grafted onto the stock fender. The hood, rear spoiler, and front spoiler are fiberglass. There is quite a bit of bodywork to make these panels fit .. especially around the doors.

Rear-end is a Moser 12-bolt. I don't know the gear ratio. Brakes were Corvette calipers, but appeareed to be f-body rotors.

Springs are the Eibach Pro-Kit...don't know about the shocks.

Interior had a 6-point cage, NICE leather and suede seats, and a Hurst shift ****...that's about it.

And yes, there were 34 cars out back that were destined to be Dick Harrell cars. All were Z-28s.
Just to clarify a few points here..... A total of 30 cars will be produced PLUS 2 prototypes.

The body panels are NOT steel or metal. The hood/gas cap are carbon fiber and the rest of the body is fiberglass. All panels bolt in place like stock with the exception of the rear quarters which require bonding and filling.

Rear end is a STRANGE unit which is optional on these cars.

Springs are not ProKit, they are a GMMG specific part # which is not available to the public.

There are 30 cars out back waiting to be transformed. Some WERE SSs etc etc, but all will be DH cars soon. BTW, all cars are NEW. Berger ordered 30 cars when the project was started.

BTW, As for the times, It was nothing impressive to say the least. 12.0@121 mph on a 2.42 60ft. I was swinging the *** end around all the way through 3rd gear on street tires. Our last ZL1 went 10.94@125 on ET Streets, so we will have results of the DH car VERY SOON
Old 06-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Launching!

I figured you would make it over to this thread at some point Ron. How is the tour going?