Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

lets c sts video!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw an STS system on a car at the raceway here over the summer. His car was mostly stock, including the stock torque converter. I was running faster than him almost all stock besides vig3200. A lot cheaper too
Old 10-25-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
Doing the experiment you stated would not work. Because you dont have unlimited breath. Engines have unlimited breath. Once the motor is running, you wont have the pressure buildup problem. If there is, its soo miniscule you wont even notice it. Thats speakin from a scientific point of view. The other parts you mentioned, about revving the **** out of the motor, no, they spool at 2500-3000. Gas mileage wont increase, it looks ugly, and the air filter speedbump diasaster are true. But your scientific experiment is off
True...were litterally talking milliseconds of extra lag...1/10ths of seconds extra lag at most.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
Doing the experiment you stated would not work. Because you dont have unlimited breath. Engines have unlimited breath. Once the motor is running, you wont have the pressure buildup problem. If there is, its soo miniscule you wont even notice it. Thats speakin from a scientific point of view. The other parts you mentioned, about revving the **** out of the motor, no, they spool at 2500-3000. Gas mileage wont increase, it looks ugly, and the air filter speedbump diasaster are true. But your scientific experiment is off
The experiment was to show that it is easier to build pressure in a smaller space than it is to build pressure in a large space.
Also i never said the difference would be god aweful and clearly visible to any and all people.

This also depends on the size of turbo they use. The larger the turbo is the more it's going to take to spool up, or rather, the 'pause' will be longer. Commonly know as turbo-lag.

But no matter what your still going to have at least a longer pause in pressure build up because of the long tubing compared to the smaller tubing of an under-hood system. The pause will be because of the actual air in the large tube it's self compressing against the turbine in the turbo while it's trying to compress the air going into the intake.
Again, it may not be like "OMG! U FEEL THAT LAG????!?! OMG!!!!."
But in a racing application every tiny amount of time counts.
Your still going to have a constant "pause" because of the longer tubing even under hard accelration. To say that it's not possbile would mean you might as well assume that the air inside the long tube under acceleration becomes solid. And of that's obviously impossible.
The only time it will even out is when the throttle is held at one position long enough for the pressure to build in the long tube and intake and become constant.

My point for that is your throttle response will not be as 'crisp' as it would in an under-hood system because your trying to compress air in a larger space, plain and simple. And if you've ever tried to auto-cross or agressively drive a turbo vehicle through a winding road, throttle response is a biggie and turbo driven cars make it rather difficult to constantly dial them in through each turn.

Again, the "pause" may not be horribly obvious and cause people to stop and gawk at your vehicle and scream out "omg! turbo lag! i hear it!" but it is an occurence, and that was what i was trying to explain.
Also, the size of the turbo plays a big role in this.
They may use a smaller sized turbo that's perfect for the application that spools quickly with out a hitch and still gives a decent amount of boost.

So it's pretty much a matter of the nitty-gritty specifics of the turbo system and the engine, with all the fancy math and white-haired eldery people in lab coats scribbling away at a chalk board for hours while they rub their chin with a raised eyebrow and say "hmm....hmmmmmmm"
Old 10-30-2004, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STS..is a cheaper/altenate answer to turbo charging a car...it works. the only thing is, it may not be as efficient as a "standard" placed turbo....hell, in this months GMHTP rick's car is in it and you can read the stats...12.5 or somthing like that @116 on street tires??? and its claimed over 500rwhp. now call me crazy but my cam only car on street tires has gone 12.6 at 114.

my only concern would be the turbine suckin water in if ya got caught in the rain...that could be a BIG problem.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Ok....No you can flame me all you guys want on this one....but be genlte I combust easily!! LOL
Ok....STS Turbos = cost efficient = Bolt on, turbo located near rear axle?
Under hood = More Costly = underhood bolt on engine(Or close too)
Now this is where you can flame me.....
I know that turbo's regaurdless have "Lag" du to having to build up your pressure.....
Would it not be better to have a S/C? If I understand they run off of a belt and run and idle as the engine does....Would the S/C be better? I have always been confused about these.....Other than being quite price, and the fact they do the same thing as turbo's, what would be better?(If affordability wasnt an issue)
Old 10-30-2004, 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

belt driven power adders rob more power. in fact, on the high end of the spectrum, a Procharger F3 blower can rob nearly 300hp!!!, at the fly wheel in a 6 sec application. or so i've heard. i'm sure others could chime in on this.

Dave
Old 11-06-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd
Take a paper towel roll and hold one side to your mouth and one side flat against your hand, sealing it, now blow into it and notice how much air you have to push into the tube for the air to become of reasonable compression. Now this time cut it in 1/2 and repeat. If you notice, it's easier to build pressure with the smaller tube, than it is the larger tube.

What did that BS mean? It means that the larger/longer the tube = the more trouble your going to have building up pressure. Which as you know, that ability is what makes the turbo so effective.
This is rediculous. Its like saying a roots type blower is worthless because a centrifugal will make more power at the same boost. Or saying a Centrifugal charger is worthless because the roots makes boost off idle. To each his own. There are different products on the market for different circumstances/interests of buyers. The people that bought the kit knew what they were getting and I've yet to hear one complain.

Now lets try the 'paper towel roll' experiment with a GT35 spinning at 200,000 rpm. I bet you can't keep your hand on it even if it was 20 feet long.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SDC
This is rediculous. Its like saying a roots type blower is worthless because a centrifugal will make more power at the same boost. Or saying a Centrifugal charger is worthless because the roots makes boost off idle. To each his own. There are different products on the market for different circumstances/interests of buyers. The people that bought the kit knew what they were getting and I've yet to hear one complain.

Now lets try the 'paper towel roll' experiment with a GT35 spinning at 200,000 rpm. I bet you can't keep your hand on it even if it was 20 feet long.
*sigh*

You need this.... http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
Old 11-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Come on guys, this is not the forum to discuss this. This for multimedia. If you want to debate the pro's and con's of the STS system, take it to the Forced Induction forum.