Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:59 PM
I Like Gold!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That vette is sick!!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

On a closer inspection of the video, it looks like the Vette was just playing with the Cobra. It wouldn't even be close if that Vette was three sheets to the wind.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by unit213
That's brokes car? Oh ****... Nothing I'm going to do behind that wheel that he couldn't Ahhh...you win some you lose some.

Props to you for admitting you were wrong. That is a rare grace these days, and especially on boards like this. That Cobra's answer is 2 words away: Kenne Bell.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Well, I can tell you that powershifting wouldnt of won the race. Why, because I was the one driving the car. Its just a simple equation, lighter more aerodynamic car with more power pulls a cobra.

The vette in the video made 568whp SAE.

I was on a 30 shot .035 jet as well, and didnt spray till well into 3rd gear. My car may of been lucky to make 480whp on the blower in that video due to the weather, and I had some out of the box shot in the dark tune loaded in my car, it was in the 90's that day as well. So in reality video should of been titled 520whp cobra vs 568whp Procharged Vette.

I spun off the 2nd gear hit, that is reason why he jumped out on me, I was pullin him back in 4th, I told him that I wasnt gonna take it into 5th he decided to take it into 5th anyways, and I shutdown at the top of 4th gear hince why he pulled away.

My car runs the #'s in my sig, im no fake.....

The exhaust you hear in the video isnt mine, hince the slow shifting on the vette's part. Even the vette owner knew I was running him down in 4th, and there was nothing he could do about it, he told me this.

Im not too worried, that was on a stock 19k mile clutch, I spun off the hit, and had alot of other issues I wont go into. Good race though, and I lost. Rest assured I would murder that *** if we race again
Old 12-12-2004, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice vid. How much power are the Aptens good for? I can't wait to start modding my 04 Cobra...wait, I don't have one.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

I have a close friend who has an 03 Still on stock manifolds, apten blower, 2.80 upper, 2lb Lower, aprox 16psi, Bogarts D-10's all the way around, full interior, ac etc, and otherwise bolt on's besides Xpipe, and Catback, and chip. His car makes 541whp 539ta SAE, and he has been 11.04@131.8 in his.

His car probably has the record right now for ported eaton with bolt on's, in power and MPH category. Most of them make 500-510 with about 1500-2000 in bolt on's depending on how you spend the cash, and will run into the mid to low 11's @ 120+ depending on weather, track, and driver, and how aggressive your tune is.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by broke7
Even the vette owner knew I was running him down in 4th, and there was nothing he could do about it, he told me this.
He was just trying to be nice. There was something he could do about it: not shift like his mom.

Im not too worried, that was on a stock 19k mile clutch, I spun off the hit, and had alot of other issues I wont go into. Good race though, and I lost. Rest assured I would murder that *** if we race again
Sorry, but I don't think you could take that Vette if you raced 10 more times. The only reason you might have been gaining at all is because the Vette was shifting so slow - you'd build up momentum while the Vette wasn't even into the throttle.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RealDealCamSS
Sorry, but I don't think you could take that Vette if you raced 10 more times.
I believe broke7 runs a 75shot and has more mods. Maybe he'll chime in.

BTW...he's no internet babbler. He's got serious skills and a car to back it up.

I'd like to have a crack at that vette.

Last edited by unit213; 12-12-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

He was just trying to be nice. There was something he could do about it: not shift like his mom.

Sorry, but I don't think you could take that Vette if you raced 10 more times. The only reason you might have been gaining at all is because the Vette was shifting so slow - you'd build up momentum while the Vette wasn't even into the throttle.
I didnt bring everything I had to the table by anymeans. He had brung everything to the table he had, I hadnt. Honestly I was expecting to get walked. I was on a very small shot. So small I couldnt even feel it. Ive had the big shot in the car and I know what it does. It was a spur of the moment race and more like a "hey wanna race this badass vette" when my buddy called, and replied, sure I'll get beat cause my car is running like ***.

You can act like you know all the details, speculation doesnt mean ****. Especially from someone who wasnt even there. I have just as much respect for the z06 as the guy has for my car, and I give respect to anyone where its due, its an awesome animal, and a piece of artwork no douby, but by no means unbeatable on a good day.

On the 75 shot my car has made 605whp 616tq, tell me that wouldnt of put me out in front of the vette. Thats a 100rwhp difference than what was in that video. I just finished my latest round of mods, and my car would probably make in the 650 range now on the spray, and 750tq, like I said there champ IM NOT TOO WORRIED

Have a nice one.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Well bud, I'm not so sure 605 would put you in FRONT of it, but it would most likely be close. I'm sorry, I've seen too many modded '03/'04 Cobras that don't deliver, and you're also much heavier and less aerodynamic than that Vette. From experience with modded new Cobras vs. modded LSx's, when it comes to hp for hp, Chevy's have the edge, be it Vette, SS, or T/A.

From what I know, spray is definitely going to help you out on the torque side - perhaps the s/c Cobra's weakness. With the supercharger alone, the new Cobras tend to build up power slowly to a nice peak number (showing lack of torque). Get the torque, and you'll have the Vette.

My buddy actually just bought another '03 with 490rwhp, and I got to ride in it with him. He nailed it, and it just doesn't have the low end thrust of the LSx motors. Seemed like it took forever to make that 490.

Trust me, I have reasons to doubt, and while I had my SS, no modded '03/'04 Cobra (even with more hp than me) gave me any reason to worry.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Well bud, I'm not so sure 605 would put you in FRONT of it, but it would most likely be close. I'm sorry, I've seen too many modded '03/'04 Cobras that don't deliver, and you're also much heavier and less aerodynamic than that Vette. From experience with modded new Cobras vs. modded LSx's, when it comes to hp for hp, Chevy's have the edge, be it Vette, SS, or T/A.

From what I know, spray is definitely going to help you out on the torque side - perhaps the s/c Cobra's weakness. With the supercharger alone, the new Cobras tend to build up power slowly to a nice peak number (showing lack of torque). Get the torque, and you'll have the Vette.

My buddy actually just bought another '03 with 490rwhp, and I got to ride in it with him. He nailed it, and it just doesn't have the low end thrust of the LSx motors. Seemed like it took forever to make that 490.

Trust me, I have reasons to doubt, and while I had my SS, no modded '03/'04 Cobra (even with more hp than me) gave me any reason to worry.
In a way I see where your coming from, then again I think your basing your opinions off what you may of seen or heard in other instances. Maybe your buddy needs to learn how to drive. I nail my car down low and it shreds the tires, and it pretty much worthless, even on drag radials.

Cobra owners are knows for high dyno #'s non driving and bad track times. I went 11.25@123 with 470whp and in a full weight car on Drag Radials weighing in at 3900lbs or so. Thats respectable no?? Im alot different than other cobra owners cause I do deliver. Ive ran with 03/04 Cobra's that have had 100whp more than me, and hung with this because of the fact that I can drive, and they arent the best. I think this is the case with the majority of the cobra crowd. Ive had run in with plenty of modded ls1's, some with cam only's some with heads and cam, and never had a problem. I had a buddy with a heads and cam 02 Fody with a 75 shot on it, dynod in the 480-490whp range, and we went from a 40mph dig and we were dead even, and is a very competent driver as well.

This is my dyno sheet, Redline is n20 pass, and blue is blower run. I have the tq see dynosheet below, it makes 500ft+ tq from 3500, and 400+ HP all way from 3700rpm to where I shut it down. Not what else you could ask for, NA motors make peaky #'s plain and simple, and centrifugal style cars dont make peak power to redline. Roots & screw type blowers are exact opposite beasts. The cobra has no weakness except weight, and we all know what light cam only ls1's can do.

Now here is a cam only ls1 dynograph I took off this site in a random thread, lets compare...look at the curves, peak #'s dont always mean everything, alot matters what is under the curve.

I used to be an ls1 owner, I had a 99 Z-28 with your basic bolt on's, 3.23's, 3500 TCI stall, catback, Ypipe, ls1edit, FTRA and NX 150 shot. I never ran my car, but my buddy with his 03 that was a very good driver and he is the reason why I traded in my ls1 to get an 03 Cobra.

What did your SS run??

Im not hear to fuel the age old battle of the 03/04 Cobra vs the ls1 crowd, im just depicting my point of view, and explaining my experiences, cause I have owned both type of vehicles, and to me im happy I drive what I do.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Administrator

03/04 Cobras have TONS of low end torque due to the roots blower (especially when ported or with a lower pulley). That torque is carried all the way from 3,000rpm to redline basicaly without falling off.

**edited** - trying to be a little nicer.

Last edited by unit213; 12-12-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

In a way I see where your coming from, then again I think your basing your opinions off what you may of seen or heard in other instances. Maybe your buddy needs to learn how to drive.
Yea, and I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I've seen what I've seen. My buddy was thinking about getting an '03 Cobra a little while back. He got one to drive for the weekend from the Ford dealership, so it was bone stock. I had only lt's and exhaust on my car, and we ran 'em from about 40mph. We only shifted once, and the cars were dead even. Shoot, all i've got is exhaust stuff - that's what I mean. THEN, I get the cam and nitrous and race a 550rwhp Cobra and pull 1.5 carlengths on him from 40 to about 110 or something. My old SS was then putting out 482rwhp, but 583ft-lbs. I was making over 400hp at 3,000rpm, and the powerband was a plateau. I think my car pulled on those because of torque, and kept pulling because of torque. That's all I mean. As long as you have the torque (that I think the other '03's didn't have) you should have no problem with the Vette. That torque is also what will overcome your weight and aerodynamic disadvantage.

I went 11.25@123 with 470whp and in a full weight car on Drag Radials weighing in at 3900lbs or so. Thats respectable no??
That's not respectable: it's more like very impressive. I'm just mainly talking about racing from a roll (since that's all I did, and really all I'm interested in), where pure grunt is involved.

Your dyno curves are much better than the modded s/c only Cobras I've seen. Most of theirs didn't make appreciable power until around 5,000rpm. The only thing I'm bringing to light is what you prove with your dyno sheet: that without spray, you made more hp than torque, and with, you made more torque than hp. On your s/c only run (which is comparable to my old car), you made 40 more peak hp than I did, but 80 ft-lbs less than I did. So that's all I mean by a torque disadvantage (and that torque disadvantage is why I could outrun a 550rwhp Cobra with a 480rwhp SS).

What did your SS run??.
Tell you the truth, I don't know. I ran it a few times at the track, but that was before the cam and 125-shot. My goal was to run 11's with full street tires (mainly because I didn't want to break the stock rear end, potentially have transmission problems, and either run dr's all the time or fork out more money for dr's and spare rims). However, I sold the car about 3 or 4 months ago, and never got a chance to see what she'd do. Even so, the runs would be on street tires and not comparable to your times. The only thing I know is that when I had a catback (no lt's) and 100-shot nitrous only - not tuned, I trapped 116mph (but the 1/4 time was something like a 12.8 - so terrible traction and newbie to launching), also running full street tires. But hey, the power was there.

Im not hear to fuel the age old battle of the 03/04 Cobra vs the ls1 crowd, im just depicting my point of view, and explaining my experiences, cause I have owned both type of vehicles, and to me im happy I drive what I do.
Yea, I know man. And I'm not here to convince you of anything - just typing my experiences and what I believe the shortcomings of an s/c only Cobra are (torque). And I'm happy that you're happy with what you drive. I drive an '04 Honda Accord now, and I'm tickled to death with it (except for the speed). I figured I was going to end up getting a ticket for 140 in a 45 (done it before - very stupid - won't do it again), or wrapping myself around a tree (sold the car mainly because I did a 720 in the middle of the interstate at about 90mph and ended up in a ditch). So yep, VTEC is my daddy, and it's much safer that way.

Honestly man, good luck with the Cobra, and I hope you give that Vette a run for his money next time around.

Man this post is long... I need to get back to studying.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Old 12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Red X
Old 12-12-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Admit it Allen, you're a crappy driver, hahaha
Old 12-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

looked to me like the cobra just let off.............i dont think that last gear would do that much damage to the ol' snake
either way both are bad *** cars
Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
Admit it Allen, you're a crappy driver, hahaha
i guess you call them like you see em...hahahah thanks ole buddy
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
Red X
hmm, comes up on mine, anyone else having problems?

here's a link: hope it works

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/736589
Old 12-14-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow this could be the first post i've saw where someone in the ls1 community didn't start flaming the cobra guys and the cobra guys didn't start flaming the ls1 guys. Keep up the good work