Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Skyline needs a new tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the up and coming r35 be the infinite body in japan also or only here in the states?

by the way, it wont be a real skyline anymore if they did that........and i love a skyline....it would be my only import of choice. but a g35 coupe "skyline" is ridiculous!!!!!

also, it wont be inline anymore, most likely a twin turbo version of the 350z motor....
Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Answer: Japan. Not U.S.

I pulled this from an article...

It's set to be Japan's fastest and most advanced supercar - but look under the skin and it's Britain's brains which will power Nissan's new GT-R!
most advanced car in the world. But it's not only Nissan engineers who can claim the credit - our sources say British legend Cosworth has been called in to help tweak the engine, while Lotus is involved in fine-tuning the suspension.

The 'International Specification' GT-R, which will be sold throughout the world for the first time, is set to get a version of the 3.5-litre V6 engine used in the 350Z coupé, but will have electrically assisted twin turbochargers to boost power without sapping too much energy. Cosworth's expertise will be used to make sure the V6's block, head, pistons and crank are all strong enough.

Nissan knows it has to do something really special with the next GT-R, partly because the 350Z performs so well, but also as it's the first globally oriented version of the car, and expectations are high among the 'Playstation generation' of buyers who are familiar with the model from video games consoles.

The company has asked for around 400bhp and 490Nm of torque, but more realistic figures given emissions regulations are 350bhp and 450Nm. To reach production, the car must meet strict Euro4 exhaust regulations. The V6 will be mated to a six-speed Getrag gearbox, with a CVT due a year after launch in early 2005. The auto is undergoing final development, but apparent slippage trouble due to the excessive power has been plaguing prototypes. Insiders have confirmed the GT-R will incorporate an updated version of Nissan's Atessa 4WD system with an active limited slip differential. This new arrangement means torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels not only in response to traction loss, but also as a result of changes in the engine's output.

The FM platform used in the new range of Skyline and Infiniti G35 coupés in Japan and the US is basically good enough, but needs some fine-tuning to handle the extra power - and that's where Lotus comes in. A new hydraulic active suspension system, co-developed with Lotus, will feature. The Norfolk firm's expertise in this area will ensure the car handles like no other GT-R before, and can satisfy the soft-riding expectations of American buyers with the traction and high-speed handling required by the British and German markets.
Its brakes promise to be special, too, with larger Brembo discs controlled by a newly revised brake-by-wire unit which promises to give the sporty feel and feedback enthusiastic drivers demand.

But while the dynamics are groundbreaking, many fans will be disappointed by the looks. Although the car is clearly linked to the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show concept, some of the more aggressive touches have been watered down in favour of a more mainstream appearance. The final production version will debut at next October's Tokyo event
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some more rumors:

Seems like some of the more famous and reliable Japanese motoring publications(Best Car & Holiday Auto) think that the engine used in the next GTR will be the VQ33DETT.

The new 3.3L alloy block V6 will use the stroke length from the VQ35 and the bore from the VQ30. It will use twin electronically assisted turbochargers, which is a first! Apparently two small electric motors will be attached to the turbine shaft spinning it at lower revs when no positive boost is being made thus eliminating turbo lag. Furthermore variable valve timing and variable valve lift will be used in order to achieve the 400ps that is predicted.

The M-spec will get a 6 speed CVT transmission while the V-spec a 6 speed MT. Active suspension will be used, along with 4 pot Brembos all round and huge 19" wheels.
G35 Skyline Coupe Sedan NO! Lets hope not

A buddy and I test drove a G35 coupe this weekend.. Not a lot of go, but I liked the suspension setup.. I didn't get to drive, but it handled very nicely... It had the performance kit with the Brembo brake option. It was nice.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

dude, the technology in the suspension and motor is sweet but the platform is ALL wrong!!

Active handling is something that has been around but never truly pioneered until boss (believe it or not....go figure) developed an active system out of lightened materials and had a lexus es "jump" over a 2x4 that was laying on the street in front of it!!

Soon after, it has taken its time but manufactures are almost on the brink of a suspension that doesnt react due to passive input but react actively by sensoring the road surface ahead.

The skyline is a perfect car to introduce this and the electric turbo spool (even though i think it might be a bit to "technological") he awd will be superb as always

ive seen the g35 and their suspension is obviously setup to handle nice...the rear tires have noticieably negative camber.

but.........a g35? v-6? sedan....??? im pisst!!!!

oh well, at least the r'z of 32-34 will always be kicking ***......maybe even the newer tech will transplanted into the older r'z? lets only hope this is all a joke and it a redesigned, slightly though, r34............
Old 01-10-2005, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

prolly sadam's son... either taht or some member of gov. or royal family... i mean who else controls enuff money to buy one.. oil is basically the only way, and sadam controlled that **** lol... whoever it was the car is prolly buried under tank tracks and there dead if it was sadams son lol
Old 01-10-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a decent number of wealthy people out in the middle east...
Old 01-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jamie33
i think thats a HKS race tranny. no synchros

i remember reading about this car
r32 rwd btw
33's and 34's are awd
There seems to be a lot of ignorance about the car and the video in general.

First of all, this video was not taken in Iraq before the war. This video is from United Arab Emirates, a small country beside Saudi Arabia.

Second of all, all of the GT-Rs were AWD from R32 to R34, they can install aftermarket power/torque splitters to the 4 wheels if they choose, and in the later versions, you can program the stock computer to do the same, split the power/torque between the wheels.

Third, the reason the car is making that sound is because it has a Dogbox which has no synchros, and essentially is indestructible, the grinds dont do anything to it, contrary to the nasty sound.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zlatko
There seems to be a lot of ignorance about the car and the video in general.

First of all, this video was not taken in Iraq before the war. This video is from United Arab Emirates, a small country beside Saudi Arabia.

Second of all, all of the GT-Rs were AWD from R32 to R34, they can install aftermarket power/torque splitters to the 4 wheels if they choose, and in the later versions, you can program the stock computer to do the same, split the power/torque between the wheels.

Third, the reason the car is making that sound is because it has a Dogbox which has no synchros, and essentially is indestructible, the grinds dont do anything to it, contrary to the nasty sound.
Beatcha to it!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Guys Guys Guys.

Not a lot of knowledge about Skylines here I see.

1.) the Infiniti G35 is a Skyline GT
2.) the Skyline (R32, R33, R34, etc) Has allways been a 4 cylinder, 6 Cylinder, or 6 Cylinder Turbo RWD or AWD depedning on trim.

Here is something I wrote on this subject a few months ago in Automotive News Media and Press.

FWIW there are many trims of Skylines over the years. As posted above the Infiniti G35 IS A "SKYLINE" IN JAPAN.
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/top.html

Think of it like this. The Skyline GT-R is to the Skyline what a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP is to the Grand Prix. The Skyline is and has allways been, available as a 2 or 4 door, RWD or AWD 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder car. FWIW You can even order a 4-Door AWD Turbo Skyline in Japan (last generation) and Actually Tomihara who is a Japanese "Lingenfelter" already has a street tire 4-Door Skyline in the 9's.... gotta love the AWD!

Anyhow, the "trim" that everyone is waiting on is the GT-R. The Current Infiniti G35 Coupe is only considered a "Skyline GT". The GTS would be a Turbo RWD and the GT-R would be the Turbo AWD. The GT-R V-Spec would be a GT-R with Recaros, Brembos, etc. And the "GT-R V-Spec Nur" would be their version of a Porsche GT2.

Anyhow, really confusing I know. Now keep in mind too that the GT-R is allways styled a bit upscale from the base skyline as well and the test mule from the other page is styled with the low-end styling, so I'm sure the production GT-R will look much better.

Case in point, here is the last generation Skyline GT-R R34

Skyline GT-X (Turbo AWD Sedan)

Or a smaller pic
Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Coupe

Skyline GT Sedan

Make Sense?

So this car: (R34)

Was replaced by this car (G35)

And this car (Skyline Coupe GT R34)

Was replaced by this car (G35/Skyline GT/Coupe)

So this big Question is what will replace this car: (The R34 Skyline GT-R)

Old 01-10-2005, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Here is the new R35 Skyline GTR concept
http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news5/

Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...5&o=&fpart=all
Old 01-10-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just jizzed myself.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RaNsOm
Here is the new R35 Skyline GTR concept
http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news5/

Back end looks good, front end is *****.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Banned

total mis informed, The Skyline R32 GTR ran a I6 RB26-DETT (twin turbo) they are AWD however only on the R32 you can remove a fuse and you have RWD.

R33 and R34 you can't disengauge AWD. To me the R33 and newer skylines are just show ponys. The R32 GTR had to be like the group A race car for production regulations in international touring car series.

Their is a Skyline called the GT-t that runs a RB26DET (single turbo) and is RWD.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
total mis informed, The Skyline R32 GTR ran a I6 RB26-DETT (twin turbo) they are AWD however only on the R32 you can remove a fuse and you have RWD.

R33 and R34 you can't disengauge AWD. To me the R33 and newer skylines are just show ponys. The R32 GTR had to be like the group A race car for production regulations in international touring car series.

Their is a Skyline called the GT-t that runs a RB26DET (single turbo) and is RWD.

Didn't know it was a fuse you had to pull though... Very interesting.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Shinkaze: no, and i dont care wat anybody says, an infiniti is NOT a skyline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! period!!!!!!!!!!!!, and if you follow that nissan business trend, marketing shananagons than you dont know wat a skyline is...IMO of course!!!!

FullfloatingHD: r32 might be the first intro skyline to make it big, for the exception of its old brother in the 70's,(cant remember the name) but the electronics on the r34 awd unit alone is worth more than a r32 gt-r. (and not in dollar or yen value..) The r32 is the all brute, while the r43 is all that brute with the sophistication of a race-bred street machine!!!!!!!!!! Not just looks....

Also, the r32 came with the atessa but the r33, r34 can with the por model, giving even further enchancement to the awd, foue wheel steering system. Torque split is also viewed from the cockpit and on the display lcd screen on the r43. Furthermore, the r32 might of been the first, but the r34 was reigning champion, and still is, on the circuit races of japan, europe, etc. Only until nissan got rid of its chamo and replaced it with a sweet modded out 350z did the skuline r34 step down from its ranks.......I know it just your opinion but you cant just say that the r34 is a visiual enchancement when compared to the r32.

and i wouldn't think a fuse isnt wat you need to have a car converted to rwd from awd.......wat about the mechanics, the actually parts that spin to make the wheels turn? interesting indeed!

Personally, if infiniti porduces the skyline r35 as a g35 coupe, to me, the skyline should of just remained buried like the supra....its a shame that the corprate world would allow it to happen, but anything for cash right? I would glady spend the extra watever amount of money for a real skyline gt-r (r34) that on any overpriced gt-r wannabe (g35=r35), no matter wat they may do to it.

Last edited by obZidian; 01-14-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZMC_Racing
prolly sadam's son... either taht or some member of gov. or royal family... i mean who else controls enuff money to buy one.. oil is basically the only way, and sadam controlled that **** lol... whoever it was the car is prolly buried under tank tracks and there dead if it was sadams son lol
A skyline is not that expensive over there, they are only expensive when you import them to america.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by obZidian
Shinkaze: no, and i dont care wat anybody says, an infiniti is NOT a skyline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! period!!!!!!!!!!!!, and if you follow that nissan business trend, marketing shananagons than you dont know wat a skyline is...IMO of course!!!!

FullfloatingHD: r32 might be the first intro skyline to make it big, for the exception of its old brother in the 70's,(cant remember the name) but the electronics on the r34 awd unit alone is worth more than a r32 gt-r. (and not in dollar or yen value..) The r32 is the all brute, while the r43 is all that brute with the sophistication of a race-bred street machine!!!!!!!!!! Not just looks....

Also, the r32 came with the atessa but the r33, r34 can with the por model, giving even further enchancement to the awd, foue wheel steering system. Torque split is also viewed from the cockpit and on the display lcd screen on the r43. Furthermore, the r32 might of been the first, but the r34 was reigning champion, and still is, on the circuit races of japan, europe, etc. Only until nissan got rid of its chamo and replaced it with a sweet modded out 350z did the skuline r34 step down from its ranks.......I know it just your opinion but you cant just say that the r34 is a visiual enchancement when compared to the r32.

and i wouldn't think a fuse isnt wat you need to have a car converted to rwd from awd.......wat about the mechanics, the actually parts that spin to make the wheels turn? interesting indeed!

Personally, if infiniti porduces the skyline r35 as a g35 coupe, to me, the skyline should of just remained buried like the supra....its a shame that the corprate world would allow it to happen, but anything for cash right? I would glady spend the extra watever amount of money for a real skyline gt-r (r34) that on any overpriced gt-r wannabe (g35=r35), no matter wat they may do to it.

damn youre misinformed. the G35 = 350Z which is the same as the Skyline in Japan. the 350Z just isnt offered as a 4 door so they use the G's design. What do you think the new G35x is? AWD G35, probably a step toward the GT-R
Old 01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

They are 2.6L stock motor, it is AWD. but the can place all the torque to the rear wheels to do burnouts and such.