Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

F-18 ridealong

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P Mack, from your location, are you at the Academy?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
Was my dream in childhood, but god "blessed" me with near sightness.

me three, however I hear the Air Force now pays for Lasik. I'm already out of college and it looks like the AF is to late for me
Old 03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

The recruiter i talked to said what degree I have didn't matter. I think 27 yrs old is the latest you can apply for Officer Candidate School. If you still wanna fly you should talk to a recruiter about it and the Lasik thing!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THECowboy
P Mack, from your location, are you at the Academy?
Yep. And I think 27 is the cutoff for commissioning.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a question... I am fit have perfect 20/20 vision but am not enrolled in any college and am 20yrs old...Im not dumb either 32 on acts etc... What can I do to become a pilot in the USAF...If I could do anything in the world that would be it
Old 03-08-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

To fly, you will need a Bach. Degree. You can go to college and go through the ROTC and try to get scholarships and such. You will have to go to college

Another question for the AF guys, I have a slight, VERY slight color deficiency. I counterbalance that with 20/15 vision. Anyone know the rules on the color deficiency thing. I tried contacting the closest AF Officer Recruiting center since it is 2hrs away, NEVER get a response back with left voicemails and e-mails.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to my buddy who is colorblind, there's no waiver for any type of colorblindness for pilots. But he couldn't tell me a number or anything for what defines colorblindness. I would say get one of those books and practice making out the numbers.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Am i really dumb or did i see him drop one off about a 1/4 through the video......seriously watch the the video and stare at the right wing. look hard you will see him blow off a city below.....haha i love it.....USA BITCH
Old 03-08-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I posted it orginally a LONG time ago. Pretty Friggin bad *** though!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm pretty sure the board meets for AFA slots first. ROTC comes last, I think. Yes, you're absolutely going to need a bachelor's degree to become an officer, which is what you have to be to fly. ROTC is the best way in my opinion, because it offers tuition assistance. OTS is much longer and harder. AFA is...well...the AFA, and I won't go there, my good Falcon buddies
Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
I have a question... I am fit have perfect 20/20 vision but am not enrolled in any college and am 20yrs old...Im not dumb either 32 on acts etc... What can I do to become a pilot in the USAF...If I could do anything in the world that would be it
Powell, you would have to go to college and get a degree, while doing ROTC. You could try for the AF Acadamy but I'd say your chance of getting in is a hair over zero. ROTC is really gonna be your only way. In ROTC you will need to be the best at everything, even when they say its a team operation, you need to finish on top. There is always competition, and its ruthless and brutal. If you have any medical problems your basically screwed, I have seasonal allergies and have a 99% chance of NOT getting a pilot slot.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:03 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by P Mack
According to my buddy who is colorblind, there's no waiver for any type of colorblindness for pilots. But he couldn't tell me a number or anything for what defines colorblindness. I would say get one of those books and practice making out the numbers.
You cannot get a slot if you have any color sensing problems. If you are non-20/20 you can get a waiver to wear glasses, but thats getting harder and harder since they really have a surplus of pilots rather than a shortage.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by THECowboy
To fly, you will need a Bach. Degree. You can go to college and go through the ROTC and try to get scholarships and such. You will have to go to college

Another question for the AF guys, I have a slight, VERY slight color deficiency. I counterbalance that with 20/15 vision. Anyone know the rules on the color deficiency thing. I tried contacting the closest AF Officer Recruiting center since it is 2hrs away, NEVER get a response back with left voicemails and e-mails.
Nope screwed if they catch it. And they will, I know people who have tried. Also don't talk to an enlisted recruiter, worst thing you can do. They will lie, cheat, stab, to get you to sign. They work on numbers, they keep a job keeping those numbers. If you want to fly talk to an officer, and only an officer.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Launching!

my cuz graduated UMass AFROTC along with her husband. He was fortunate enough to get into piolet school but ended up flying cargo after training in Iraq, he is still over there, but my cuz returned home bout 8 months ago. Great Vid, Good luck to all the ROTC guys here
Old 03-09-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

hell, I want to fly fighters, but if can't whatever, as long as i can fly. If i went through ROTC and couldn't get a pilot slot, I would try get a spot to work on the planes, next best thing!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by P Mack

Yes to fly a civilion plane you cannot be color blind you can appeal it but nothing really comes out of it. There is a new class of flying out that is sport pilots. very cheap to buy/learn to fly and to maintain. And the best part for people that cant pass medical is that there is none at this point.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

question for you airforce guys. I have considered trying to fly for the airforce when im out of college. How does it look to have been a pilot for lets say 6 years when im out. Does it help any?? That and some of the weight rec. im a bigger guy. I dont want to fly anything cool just mabee a transport or something.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Launching!

On benifit to flying the Heavy weights, Easy to get airline jobs after the military
Old 03-09-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for posting that, got my flying blood going again!
I still kick myself for not going to the A/F right outa high school. I'll have my associates in 2 months, then i guess ill get my bach. and go in.

Any specific bach. to go in? Guess I should call a recuiter up.

I did look at a place in Tulsa,OK (cant remember the name though)
And Brownward in Florida, with a nice AA or Delta flow through...
Old 03-09-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

FYI there are hi-res clips at grouchymedia.com