Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Camaro SS vs. Skyline

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont have to convert to LHD to be legal. I like the car because it's something you hardly ever see, it's one of the best cars to come out of Japan IMO, and has an incredible engine.

-J
Old 03-16-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a driveline that can handle 1000hp with only a clutch upgrade. It also has a block that can handle over 1000hp, not sure what stock internals can do though. The car is perfect to mod, bang for the buck. Once you ship/convert/legalize it looses the bang for the buck factor.

My brother was stationed in Okinawa and almost bought a r34 for $35,000 but U.S. safety upgrades/shipping would have cost $40,000
Old 03-16-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lastcall190
You dont have to convert to LHD to be legal. I like the car because it's something you hardly ever see, it's one of the best cars to come out of Japan IMO, and has an incredible engine.

-J

You do have to change glass, impact beams, etc though
Old 03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yea good point, motorex takes care of all that in the included purchase price I believe, which helps.

-J
Old 03-16-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Yea good point, motorex takes care of all that in the included purchase price I believe, which helps.

-J
FWIW Motorrex doesn't do a Left Hand Drive conversion. There is a guy on M3Forum that has one and he said it's one of the draw backs of getting one over here.

FWIW I can't remember his name but he supplied the Supra and Skyline for the original Fast and Furious movie and now has a Wide body M3 (Which I believe he's getting rid of).
Old 03-16-2005, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Can you get some more pics of that skyline???
Old 03-16-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
IMO, the Skyline is nothing special. I think it's ridiculously overrated, and the big reason the ricers jerkoff over it is because it's "J-spec yo", illegal in the States unless shipped, converted, etc etc which costs a ridiculous amount.

I'm not bashing the ones who like the Skyline at all, I'm simply saying there really isn't anything amazing about it like the media hypes it up to be. It's just another turbo, AWD vehicle.
I'd never heard of a Skyline until 1994 when Road and Track did an Tunner shoot out with a Tomihara (sp?) tunned Skyline R32 4-Door that pulled high 9s on street Tires. that's when I sat up and took notice. I'd never seen a full interior 4-door car pull a 9 before (and this is 1994)

Much of the mystique of the Skyline GT-R is the fact they've never been available over here and it is Japan's premier supercar. As far as tuning potential think Supra with AWD and you can start to see what all the fuss is about.

-Adam
Old 03-16-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
FWIW Motorrex doesn't do a Left Hand Drive conversion. There is a guy on M3Forum that has one and he said it's one of the draw backs of getting one over here.

FWIW I can't remember his name but he supplied the Supra and Skyline for the original Fast and Furious movie and now has a Wide body M3 (Which I believe he's getting rid of).
Okay, found it.

Here's the M3 he just sold
Site: http://www.magnaflow.com/06vehicles/showcars/uberm3.asp

His name is Craig Lieberman and he provides cars for movies. It looks like he's owned (2) Skylines.

-Adam
Old 03-16-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, found it.

Here's the M3 he just sold
Site: http://www.magnaflow.com/06vehicles/showcars/uberm3.asp

His name is Craig Lieberman and he provides cars for movies. It looks like he's owned (2) Skylines.

-Adam

Damn! that is the badest M3 I have seen.

Nice vid of the race BTW, I hate trying to make out night races.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's me "flagging" and my two buddies racing....I was standing there for a point of reference to their roll run.

Daisuke's skyline dyno'd over 600hp....sorry I don't remember the exact numbers. But his turbo was so big he wanted to go from a roll since the road we were racing on isn't long enough for him to really get spooled and make it a race. The race was at "Landmark" running north to south so any locals will know how short that run is....hardly enough of a slow down for a full 1/4 run.

The Camaro is my buddy's 96 SS. At the time he was full bolt on cam and nitrous (I think a 150 shot on that race).
Old 03-17-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd

Where does your friend live... i want to ugh...steal the car...errr...meet him...yeah
then you can be king of the little ricers on your street hahahah
Old 03-17-2005, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

I'd never heard of a Skyline until 1994 when Road and Track did an Tunner shoot out with a Tomihara (sp?) tunned Skyline R32 4-Door that pulled high 9s on street Tires. that's when I sat up and took notice. I'd never seen a full interior 4-door car pull a 9 before (and this is 1994)

Much of the mystique of the Skyline GT-R is the fact they've never been available over here and it is Japan's premier supercar. As far as tuning potential think Supra with AWD and you can start to see what all the fuss is about.

-Adam
Couldn't have said it better my self. They're not around every corner and sitting in 1 out of every 12 driveways, which is one of the main reasons why i was turned off by the Mustangs...they're EVERY where. And the Skyline's aren't very hard on the eye's either

Edit: Althtough i hate the "Skylines" they have here in the us now, the Infinity G35...Doens't say skyline at all to me...

Last edited by 97'RS6-BucketTurd; 03-17-2005 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaroz
then you can be king of the little ricers on your street hahahah
yes! muahahahahahahaha!
them =
me =
Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

And picture an aftermarket similar to that of the 5.0, ENORMOUS. Every part you could think of and more...

-J
Old 03-17-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd
Couldn't have said it better my self. They're not around every corner and sitting in 1 out of every 12 driveways, which is one of the main reasons why i was turned off by the Mustangs...they're EVERY where. And the Skyline's aren't very hard on the eye's either

Edit: Althtough i hate the "Skylines" they have here in the us now, the Infinity G35...Doens't say skyline at all to me...
Well that's like comapring a V6 Camaro to a Camaro SS. The Current Skyline (G35) lacks a GT-R trim and that won't be added back into the line until 2007. And the GT-R's have allways looked head and shoulders better than the "GT" and other lines. Case in point.

R34 Skyline GT-R

R34 Skyline GT

R34 Skyline GT-X (turbo AWD Sedan)

I personally think the new Skyline/G35 is a vast improvement over the old R34 (comparing a GT to a GT since there is no GT-R yet).

So for instance this car...

Was replaced by this car

And this car

was replaced by this car..

All improvements IMOHO, I just can't wait until 2007 when Nissan shows us what's replacing this car...

-Adam
Old 03-17-2005, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Well that's like comapring a V6 Camaro to a Camaro SS. The Current Skyline (G35) lacks a GT-R trim and that won't be added back into the line until 2007. And the GT-R's have allways looked head and shoulders better than the "GT" and other lines. Case in point.
-Adam
Oh by no means am i bashing the car tech wise, i just think they did a horrible job with the styling. They're being just like some of the Domestioc manufactureres and brigning back reto styles with cars that don't look anything like what that car reminds you of when u hear the name.

For instance the new charger...

To me...that looks nothing like a charger, they're slapping these names on vehicles that don't look the part at all.

And japan caught the disease calling this wanna be luxury mercedes/lexus looking car a Skyline

Even their 'Skyline' concept back in 02' was shunned because it looked nothing like a Skyline.

What screams Skyline to me is this
[IMG]http--www.rsportscars.com-foto-05-gtrr34_01.jpg[/IMG]

It's just a personal preference i suppose, i just dislike the way they went with the styling aspect...Just like the new GTOs at a stop light, you have to look around for a badge to make sure it's not a grand prix.

I'm still waiting for GM to apply all their brain power and come out with the 2010 "Camaro Mini-van." Or something like another 4-door brick with a muscle car badge they pull out of the hat...
Old 03-17-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

i really like the skyline. i think i first heard about it in the original Gran Turismo whenever that was. i really like the G35, and it is available in AWD at least in the sedan version. in japan, they actually have extemely fast street cars that would probably give like 75%of us a run for our money. i think we have a worse rice problem here than they do.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
i think we have a worse rice problem here than they do.
...Japan grows better, "tasteful" rice over there
Old 03-17-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

of course they have more real jap cars than we do. most of the american jap cars have a much better version over there.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
of course they have more real jap cars than we do. most of the american jap cars have a much better version over there.
Only partly true, but true none the less. Japanese cars here get a bad name from all the abominations that people seem to create.

-J