Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Fairlay Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairlay Z

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=300zx

I am refering to this post. The reason it is called the "Fairlady Z" is because the owner of Datsun/Nissan went to a broadway play called "My Fairlady" in NYC. The female actor in the play was the most beautiful women he seen. That is how he got the idea to call it the "Fairlady" since he thought americans would buy it if it were called the "Fairlady". Since he thought it would seem as the most beautiful car. Nissan sales in the US decided not to release it as the "Fairlady" because they thought it would hurt sales. So they took the cars engine and body codes and called it the 300zx. Hence 3.0 300zx, 350z 3.5 this dates back to the very first line of Z's starting with the 240zx. Even though it isn't really called the "Fairlady Z" in the US it is still a "Fairlady" If you have any more questions on the history of the Z cars try going to WWW.Twinturbo.net
Old 10-12-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

...and you posted this in the multimedia section why?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Teching In

I didn't mean to.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

what the hell , then take it down
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

what the hell , then take it down
Old 10-13-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Some Z car purists would kill you for calling the original a 240ZX, the "X" came from a completely different generation of cars than the 240Z.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OneBlueZ
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=300zx

I am refering to this post. The reason it is called the "Fairlady Z" is because the owner of Datsun/Nissan went to a broadway play called "My Fairlady" in NYC. The female actor in the play was the most beautiful women he seen. That is how he got the idea to call it the "Fairlady" since he thought americans would buy it if it were called the "Fairlady". Since he thought it would seem as the most beautiful car. Nissan sales in the US decided not to release it as the "Fairlady" because they thought it would hurt sales. So they took the cars engine and body codes and called it the 300zx. Hence 3.0 300zx, 350z 3.5 this dates back to the very first line of Z's starting with the 240zx. Even though it isn't really called the "Fairlady Z" in the US it is still a "Fairlady" If you have any more questions on the history of the Z cars try going to WWW.Twinturbo.net
You should call it what it says on the window sticker. A US spec one will read "Nissan 350Z." There. Then, that's its name. You can call a 350Z a Fairlady. I can call a GTO a Monaro. You can call a car any name you like... It doesn't change the car's name, which in this case reads "Nissan 350Z." Unless it's the JDM with the name "Nissan Fairlady." They're two different cars. 99% the same, maybe, but different. Left-hand vs. Right-hand drive, for instance.

"Fairlady?" Yes, historically that is the name of the concept that would lead them to build the two cars, two cars with two different names.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

If you want the real story on the Fairlady, read this:
http://zhome.com/History/FairladyName.html

Do not argue w/ my Datsun trivia, I'll kill you.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Exactly just what I stated is it or is it not.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

When the new S30 "Fairlady Z" was designed and built for the US Market (as the HLS30) - Mr. Katayama suggested that it not be badged as the "Fairlady' in the US.
Yup. Ours is NOT called a Fairlady. They did NOT WANT ours to be called a Fairlady. Why do some call it that despite the intentions of their own designers for the US SPEC MODELS.

I had read that before. It's a damn good write-up.