Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1st Gen Camaro Drift?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arizona+camaro

http://hotrodhomepage.com/?p=49

http://hotrodhomepage.com/?p=48

http://hotrodhomepage.com/?p=47

http://hotrodhomepage.com/?p=46

Looks like this guy will be participating in next years season.

Last edited by lt1camaro95; 11-09-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,
Ryan Hampton is the driver, it's a 69 camaro with a 468 big block i believe. Has a truckarm rear suspension, plus lots of other work. He made top 16 in irwindale with it.

James

More drifting links:
www.FormulaD.com
www.DriftDay.com
www.DailyDrifter.com
www.BubbaDrift.com
Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

booo those car aren't for drifting. cool seeing it though
Old 11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, any rwd car is made for drifting imo. It's all about having fun.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Moparnos
booo those car aren't for drifting.
im sure youll be dissapointed to hear those stupid ricer drifter punks took a factory backed GTO was disgraced by winning the champinoship in america's top drift series, and a viper was equally tarnished by sliding aroudn a track at 80 mph white smoking the tires at full throttle, winning the most events and finishing 2nd in the points. a mustang 3rd, and fourth. poor cars, 600 rwhp cars sliding aroudn at 80 mph leaving plumes of smoke for hundreds of feet is super gay, and american cars shouldnt be disgraced by such stupid types of activity. probably those same dumb kids that do burnouts and donuts.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
Haha, any rwd car is made for drifting imo. It's all about having fun.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

pwnt by slow server
Old 11-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Launching!

It seems hard as hell to drift in a solid axle car, IRS would seem to be the better choice. Is this true? Mike, give me your knowledge.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

its not really the solid rear axle. to drift properly and easliy you reaaaaaaaaaaaally need to have your steering able to give you some feedback. drifting is all about feeling the car and knowing what its gonna do. hampton's camaro (while they had improved it a lot) was still coming up short in the steering department, other than that he seemed to have sorted out a lot ofthe issues with the car.

elco works okay, we have a quicker box in it (not much IIRC its just a junkyard camaro box thats slightly faster) and shortened the steering knuckles. its about i think 3 turns lock to lock now, and gives decent feedback.

basically if the front tires wonder around and you have no real feel for them on the transistion in drifting from a left to right or right to left drift its really hard if you cant let go/throw the wheel and let the wheels track on their own and help move the wheel fast. moving your tires 60* over in 1/2 a second you need your car to help. its kinda hard to explain unless youve done it, ill try to find a video to post.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

also to semi-detailed fashion answer your question, i used to think IRS > *, but now ive raelized the cool thing about drifting, honestly any car can do it, and the irs/solid axle really isnt too noticable. your exceeding the tires capable level of grip and you really dont put the suspension under a whole lot of load (minus a bank or some very advanced stuff) so you can really get away with a less than optimally setup suspension on a car as long as it gives good feedback and is decently stable. if we do next year wed like to maybe change the geometry a little, but to be 100% honest as wierd as it sounds from a drivers perspective (and ive borrowed/instructed in a lot of different cars) the irs/solid rear axle really isnt that different. a 350z of course feels much more controllable than an el camino, but it just seems like no matter what the tires dont really hook up enough to warrant changing from what the car came with on the solid rear axle vs irs unless your worried about strength and nobody makes a strong rearend for your rearend, in which case i have seen solid rear axle -> IRS setups and irs -> solid rear axle setups for pure purposes of durability.

wow i need to work on being more short and to the pont like i do when im flaming someone. oh well, im gonna go find a steering video.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

ok heres a quick vid i found on here lol

car has about 200whp, corolla, watch teh steering wheel on teh transistion. he gives it a little help with his hand, lets go, and the front wheels turn themeselves on teh transistion.

right click save as
http://ae86levin.free.fr/ueo_style-1.wmv

the camaro last time i talked to hampton still didnt do that, but im sure they will get it sorted out. doesnt have much to do with the original questino of irs vs solid rear axle. but ive seen hampton drive other cars, and talked to him a little on the camaro, lack of steering angle and steering feel seem to be the main couple issues left with that car. once they get it sorted out though i suspect it shoudl do pretty good esp with hampton behind the wheel.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

kool i got those vids on my website too!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that was pretty cool, a camaro doing some drifts through the track. havtn seen a vid of a camaro doing things like that. i thought it was also coo to see the GTO in the drift events. Better that we're able to do all than just one thing - straight a ways.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

I thought it was cool and that camaro sounded badASS
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

mike, are you going to be driving the el camino next season? i saw those video's of you doing that 360 in texas i think, damnnnnnnn that was too cool

what do you think about drifting in a 4th gen camaro? i've always wanted to get into drifting but damn im too poor haha. track time is expensive
Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

i dont know what im doing, id love to drive the el camino but i just dont know whats going on right now.

i still think a 4th gen would be cool, its a heavy car and not the easiest engine bay to work on but i think it wold be a great platform. weight doesnt really neccessarily hurt you in drifting (its still not a positive thing to have) and the suspension isnt horrible on 4th gens, i think it would work great, just needs more steering angle , but i say that about every car.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

drifting was created by idiots who couldnt race thier cars, so they tried to make doing donuts a sport.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

some one obviously hasnt tried it them selfs....
Old 11-14-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

actually i used to have a nissan truck that i thought drifting was cool in. . . till it ended up in a lake. Im just saying, cars that handle well are awesome. but there is no need to whip the back out in a race, its just slows you down. a real car will hug the turn, not skid around it. im not saying its not fun so drift around a parking lot, its just not a sport.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
i dont know what im doing, id love to drive the el camino but i just dont know whats going on right now.

i still think a 4th gen would be cool, its a heavy car and not the easiest engine bay to work on but i think it wold be a great platform. weight doesnt really neccessarily hurt you in drifting (its still not a positive thing to have) and the suspension isnt horrible on 4th gens, i think it would work great, just needs more steering angle , but i say that about every car.
dang man, i really hope to see you out there next season but im sure if i dont you're probably doing something more important. good luck with whatever you do

Originally Posted by camaroextra
drifting was created by idiots who couldnt race thier cars, so they tried to make doing donuts a sport.
to camaroextra, ok. if you consider F1, WRC and JGTC racers "idiots" and people who can't "race their cars" then you must be correct.

and saying that it's not a sport, what really makes drag racing a sport, or any other motorsport a sport? essentially it's the team with the best skill, and the best car. same concept behind drifting but just testing different aspects of it.

-harold