Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Yamaha R1 Turbo *SICK*

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice bike. I hate to disagree with most of you guys but... from what I saw in that vid the rider wasn't all that good. Maybe he was just showcasing what the bike could do and not showing off his skills too much. Just my .02

Last edited by T-maxx; 12-31-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Launching!

There is no way he was anywhere around 180-190mph. I would say 140-150 tops.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:20 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not very impressive if you ask me.

It's not hard to rip a wheelie on any liter bike at high RPMs. That's a carbed R1 with the MC Xpress turbo kit.

It's in KMH because obviously the vid is overseas. MC Xpress is a Danish company, that builds NASTY turbo setups for everything. Snowmobiles, R1s, Busas, etc. They have a few world record bikes as well.

I was more impressed with the Honda SP1 RC51. I love those bikes.

You want to see something stupid fast, I'll show you my buddies turbo GSXR1000. We're throwing cams in it, upping boost to 9PSI, and running CAM 2 in it.

I'll throw up the vid when the snow melts in 4 months.

Originally Posted by steveb
I wish there were some turbo bikes in my area(MASS) i'm sick of racing cars.
There are more than a handfull around. But you don't want to race them, unless you like losing.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Launching!

i woudn't mind meeting for some friendly play. I think your friend would be more suprised than i would be. Do they frequent NED. I'm there weekly maybe i know them. Not many built bike around we tend to know each outher.

Just to let you know running cams in that bike won't help much. I have had 3 different sets in my bike and they don't justify the cost or install time.

9 psi I run 17 on pump and 25 on race. Now i'm shure your friends will be surprised. PM me and i'll send my number and we can get together next season.

PS if you need any help with the 1k let me know i have built at least 10(turbo ones). Make shure you change to a manual tensioner on that 1k, oh well you probally all ready know that(i hope) good luck.

Last edited by steveb; 12-31-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

i need a turbo for my gsxr
Old 12-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Teching In

I think that bike is pointless, if you want to pass a car and you hit it...it doesnt matter what gear you are in the damn thing will come up.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:00 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by steveb
i woudn't mind meeting for some friendly play.
LOL, sounds like a nasty setup you've got there steve. I thought you were talking cars, you never mentioned a bike.

I was like this guy is out of his mind.

The bike I mentioned, is currently on the cover of 2 Wheel Tuner.

There's a few other things to be done to the bike, but it doesn't look like we will have time. It's going in a few local shows, so we just put it all back together.

We have the nitrous all setup, we're just waiting on bottle brackets.

Here's a pic if you haven't seen it before. This was a few weeks before the turbo was thrown on. There's more in the picures link in my sig.

Rob

Old 01-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

is that yours rob, its sweet
Old 01-01-2006, 01:25 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Unfortunately, it's my buddies. It was built, and painted by friends. So it's a pretty cool piece.

There's a few local shops around here doing stuff like this, but they don't ride them. He rides his to shows, and brings home the trophies. The bikes got almost 6k miles now.

We were going to install an air ride system on the bike, but even the manufacturer told him not to, if he plans on riding it like he does now.

So, we installed a strut in the rear for a few shows. It dropped it much more than you can see in the above pic. Next is a set of custom built forks.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Nice bike is it going to the world of wheels show next weekend in Boston, if so i'll stop by and talk to you guys. Mine is a 01 1k setup the same way. How does that rear set-up ride on the street. Also if i'm not mistaken is that the velocity kit? If you or your friend frequent the turbo bike site my screen name is TURBO1K. There are a few good articles on superkaos.com of when i was building it a few years ago, then you will have an idea of whats done to the bike. It makes 286 on pump and that the way i drive it on the street, well when i actually drive it(3200 miles). Good talking to you guys. Thanks Steve
Old 01-01-2006, 08:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

We had planned to have it re-done for the WOW show. But it's not going to get done. He's fixing an issue with the single sided swing arm. The Jackshaft doesn't have a bearing support, and he's going through chains like crazy.

He hasn't ridden on the strut setup yet, but I imagine it will ride like ****. He has a the factory adjustable spring/perch setup. It's all done up in chrome, but was interfering with the swingarm.

Bike is only running 6psi right now, and is just over 200hp to the tire. 9psi, cams, and some tuning should put it at 285-300hp easy.

The pic I posted was prior to the turbo setup. Here's one after, sorry about the **** angle, you can't make out much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...6/95016a6a.jpg
Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Launching!

I was guessing Velocity kit because of the pipe on the bike, looks like the one that Velocity runs with there turbo kits. If any of your friends need a PC111R, the one you need to adjust the timing on the turbo bike i have a spare and they don't make them any more. When my motor was stock it made 208whp, since i built the motor its a different ball game with the 2mm kit and 10 to 1 compression. Bike might be for sale if you know anybody intrested, probally in the high teens. New ZO6 has my name all over it Thanks Steve
Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

the bike was impressive but not his skills. seems like he was more affraid of the bike than anything. if ya want to see a badass bike w/ an INSANE rider. go to streetfire.net and search for ghostrider !!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:49 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by cobra29svt
if ya want to see a badass bike w/ an INSANE rider. go to streetfire.net and search for ghostrider !!
Those videos are kick ***!

Steve, I've forgotten which kit is on the GSXR. It doesn't have a full pipe any longer. Just kicks right out the vent in the fairing. You can see it there in the above pic if you look closely.

Shoot me some pics of your bike.

Email bmxlbkorn@aol.com
Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

No skills...he was slamming the **** out of those wheelies. Shortly after, I'm sure he had to get all new fork seals. He never really got it under full power at high rpms either.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Very cool, but not very functional. I cant see much use in turbo'ing a liter bike personally. Busa's are another matter though since they have the wieght to keep the back tire gripping and the front under control.

That bike is wheelie happy enough stock, more power will just make it easier to wheelie..not necessarily accelerate any faster at lower speeds. And at higher speeds eventually the rear will just break loose instead of pushing through the air. Ever seen the formula racing(production bikes) at daytona ? At 170 on the straights the rear is spinning.

I own a fully modded 954RR myself