Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

nikon D50

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pic, Cars. It makes me feel like posting more, but I don't feel like making this a flower war. How about offering suggestions on your shooting techniques? For many of my flowers I was using the rig I described above, a UV filter (for protection, though it does have a slight impact), and mostly shooting in macro at a range of 8-18". They are all with no flash. The tulip was actually on my kitchen table with just ambient light. I'm pretty pleased with my flower technique, and have quite a few more that are very nice.

If anyone has more input on different situations, I'm sure a lot of people could benefit. Personally, I'm still working on shooting indoors. Maybe I just need to break down and use a flash more often. Once I get some money again after buying this lens, I'll probably get a speedlight.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Shooting in raw is where it's at. When you bring the photos into your photo editing program, you'll be able to tweak it to how you want. More warm, more cool...however you want.

Just make sure you have a program that can handle the RAW photos from your camera. I am running Adobe photoshop CS2 and that can handle it no problem. I'm not sure on which other programs are out there that handle raw so make sure you check before you go shooting in RAW.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

If you have a camera that shoots in RAW, it probably came with some software that is capable of at least minor manipulation of RAW images. I know Nikon's Picture Perfect software can, thaough I've also got Photoshop, but so far I haven't gotten into the post production end of photography (though I do have extensive use of PS from my days of CG).
Old 06-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Launching!

thanks guys, I'm gonna try shooting in RAW, and with the flash off. see what i can come up with.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For my regular point and shoot digital, I use a Sony W5 5.1MP little guy. Ain't bad for what it is For moments when I'd like to capture time in a better way, I use my Canon Digital Rebel DSLR, great camera!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cloudy days make the best pictures for black fbodys..
Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Well if the flower is the focal point try to shoot just 1.. also go with a lower * 1.8... 2... 3.. 4 F Stop.. * which will blur the background and bring out the flower more.. I am still learning alot myself the key is just to shoot shoot shoot shoot.. try not to use any auto settings it will force you to learn more faster..

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
Nice pic, Cars. It makes me feel like posting more, but I don't feel like making this a flower war. How about offering suggestions on your shooting techniques? For many of my flowers I was using the rig I described above, a UV filter (for protection, though it does have a slight impact), and mostly shooting in macro at a range of 8-18". They are all with no flash. The tulip was actually on my kitchen table with just ambient light. I'm pretty pleased with my flower technique, and have quite a few more that are very nice.

If anyone has more input on different situations, I'm sure a lot of people could benefit. Personally, I'm still working on shooting indoors. Maybe I just need to break down and use a flash more often. Once I get some money again after buying this lens, I'll probably get a speedlight.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97Z
For my regular point and shoot digital, I use a Sony W5 5.1MP little guy. Ain't bad for what it is For moments when I'd like to capture time in a better way, I use my Canon Digital Rebel DSLR, great camera!

Are these pics with the sony or the canon?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by do0dfromcali
Shooting in raw is where it's at.