Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

hughes vs gracie just in case no one saw

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, putting Gracie against Hughs is like putting Hulk Hogen against The Rock (NOT implying that WWF is even real, just an anology). Gracie is way past his prime. For god sake he looked like a starved Somolian in the fight. It was sad to see him like that. I still haven't seen anyone today that I believe would be able to take Gracie 10yrs ago.

Second, that Fedor vid is the first MMA fight I've ever seen too. IMO, that's stupid. Wild swinging and lucky lands that's all that is. If you like watching to pumped up overgrown high schoolers on speed having a swinging frenzy then you probably would like it. There's absolutely no style/control/form in what I just saw. I'm suprised no one's gotten killed doing that dumb ****.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
Second, that Fedor vid is the first MMA fight I've ever seen too. IMO, that's stupid. Wild swinging and lucky lands that's all that is. If you like watching to pumped up overgrown high schoolers on speed having a swinging frenzy then you probably would like it. There's absolutely no style/control/form in what I just saw. I'm suprised no one's gotten killed doing that dumb ****.
Fedor's stand-up striking is the worst aspect of his game.

That being said, he moves too damn quick to get countered by even the best strikers. Mirko Crocop is believed by many to be the best striking heavyweight on the planet, a hugely successful K-1 convert with the most devastating high kick in the history of MMA. Fedor beat on him over three rounds and took a decision, outgassing and outstriking him the whole time.

Fedor's standup style is unconventional, like every Russians from Vovchanchin to Zentsov, but it works. The best heavyweights in the world have fought with Fedor and nobody save for Fujita has landed a solid, rocking blow on him. That counts for a lot more IMO than what his style looks like.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off, putting Gracie against Hughs is like putting Hulk Hogen against The Rock (NOT implying that WWF is even real, just an anology). Gracie is way past his prime. For god sake he looked like a starved Somolian in the fight. It was sad to see him like that. I still haven't seen anyone today that I believe would be able to take Gracie 10yrs ago.

Fedor lucky? Sounds to me you can whoop his *** huh? It seems like you know so much about MMA. Just call out Fedor and show him how it really is brother!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Fedor lucky? Sounds to me you can whoop his *** huh? It seems like you know so much about MMA. Just call out Fedor and show him how it really is brother!

That's right, lucky. L-U-C-K-Y in case I mis-typed the first time. Dude's not aiming for anything he's just rushing at the other person swinging wildly. It's only a matter of time of before someone else gets lucky and lands one on him that TKO's him.

And where did I say I could "whoop-his-***"? I was simply commenting on the MMA fighting since I've never seen it before.

It looks to me like a bunch of guys scared for their lives when they get in the ring. They look like they're fighting for their lives or something. No contact sport should be that intense. If you think that guys in the UFC don't hold back you're sadly mistaken. UFC guys don't look like they're trying to actually kill their opponent.

Futhermore, I wonder what's gonna happen when one day one of those wild punches lands on somebodies throat or temple. Or maybe MMA fighting is held in countries where they just wouldn't care...
Old 06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's right, lucky. L-U-C-K-Y in case I mis-typed the first time. Dude's not aiming for anything he's just rushing at the other person swinging wildly. It's only a matter of time of before someone else gets lucky and lands one on him that TKO's him.

And where did I say I could "whoop-his-***"? I was simply commenting on the MMA fighting since I've never seen it before.

It looks to me like a bunch of guys scared for their lives when they get in the ring. They look like they're fighting for their lives or something. No contact sport should be that intense. If you think that guys in the UFC don't hold back you're sadly mistaken. UFC guys don't look like they're trying to actually kill their opponent.

Futhermore, I wonder what's gonna happen when one day one of those wild punches lands on somebodies throat or temple. Or maybe MMA fighting is held in countries where they just wouldn't care...
You can't expect every fighter to swing like you probably would. I never said that you said you can whoop his ***, but by the way you talk it makes it seem like that. Wanderlei swings wild too, but he's still the champ and he's takin plenty of hits. I understand what your saying about if someone gets hit in the throat or temple, but I believe they think about all of that before even getting into MMA. I've seen a lot of people in MMA get knocked out by a hit to the temple, but they never died. Lucky isn't the word for Fedor its SKILLS.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14570868814239
Old 06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bullshit. Fedor's fought 24 fights, the last 10 or so have been against #1 contenders in the world's most competitive heavyweight division. Somebody would have caught him already if he style was as flawed as you say it is.

And since you're dishing out all of these criticisms, what exactly is your training in a striking art? You better damn well say you're a boxer, because I can only picture a pure boxer making "swinging wildly" comments and hating on mixed martial arts as much as you are right now.

I was simply commenting on the MMA fighting since I've never seen it before.
Good job, you've done it. And most of your comments are dead wrong. Maybe you should stick to what you know.

You haven't watched enough UFC matches, then. Go back to the old days when Royce Gracie would hold a choke for fifteen seconds extra after his opponent tapped or watch Chuck vs. Randy II when Chuck pounded the **** out of Randy's head three times before Big John was able to throw him off.

These guys are not scared, especially not Fedor. Nothing could be further from the truth. Fedor, like Royce Gracie, is the epitome of a cool and collected fighter. You have no idea what the **** you're talking about. Fedor is known for being a tranquil combatant, but a vicious fighter.

In the temple or the throat, and maybe cause a death? You mean, like the hundreds of deaths that have happened in boxing matches? In state sanctioned MMA bouts, there has NEVER been a death. If somebody died this year in a UFC event, one death in thirteen years would be a pretty damn good ratio and a hell of a lot better than that of boxing.

UFC is MMA, and it's in America. I don't know where your definition mix-ups are coming from...
Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mirko is the cream of the crop when it comes to MMA strikers... let's see him critique Crocop.

"That left high kick is pathetic, my grandmother could kick faster and harder"

Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you saw was a highlight video. In case you didn't know a highlight video usually doesn't show the whole fight, just the exciting parts. They usually show 10 to 20 seconds of a certain fight. It doesn't show the little things that count like a solid jab, leg kick, or submission attempts. Sure everyone gets wild at a few times, even in bosing, the sweet science. If you ever want your opinion to be validated don't base it off of a ten minute highlight video based off 25+ fights, when a single fight in Pride if it goes the distance lasts twenty minutes.

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Fujita vs. Hunt would be awesome to see in the next round of the HWGP
Yeah, they both have heads of steel. I think Fujita would pull that one out though.

Fedor's standup style is unconventional, like every Russians from Vovchanchin to Zentsov, but it works. The best heavyweights in the world have fought with Fedor and nobody save for Fujita has landed a solid, rocking blow on him. That counts for a lot more IMO than what his style looks like.
I don't understand how anyone could hate on Fedor!?
Man I love Igor Vovchanchyn! He throws the gnarliest bombs ever and when they connect it's lights out. There's a reason his nickname is ice cold. He has one of the sickest KOs I've ever seen when he fought Francisco Bueno. He stalked him down, and first punch of the fight rocks him, following it up with some solid bombs. Bueno was out before he hit the canvas.

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
http://www.fazed.net/out/?id=9706
Wow I never saw that fight where he fought Ricardo Arona. That power bomb was bad ***!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

I trained with Matt Hughes over the weekend(cool guy, loves to teach) I had a great time learning from one of the best MMA fighters in the world.

He said "Gracie was not as Impressive as I thought he would be, I was'nt impressed!The whole time we were fighting I was thinking, he was going to pull some magic trick move that no one has ever seen before" I guess Matt is human, even he has doubts !

great fighters are born , then molded by other great fighters! mjd
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a video of rampage getting treated like a little girl...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...age%22+Jackson
Old 06-06-2006, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

youtube.com has a shitload of fights w/gracie, belfort, sakuraba, etc. just use their search. royce gracie set the tone for what the ufc and mma is today. so he lost, everybody loses at some time or another.
check out the fight where belfort knocked out silva in 44 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TodD...itor%20belfort

*boxing is boring, mma is much more fun to watch!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Teching In

I called fedor the most "unconventional fighter I have ever seen"... When I first starting watching him, I honestly thought it WAS luck... now I realize, no he is just bad ***... He is rabid, you don't know what he is going to do, sure he comes at you swinging wildly, but he seems to NEVER run out of gas, and the minute you find yourself trying to defend his wild atacks is the minute you find yourself getting tossed(no matter how big you are) and then find yourself facing tapping out or you career ended with a broken arm...

rampage is just bad ***, its like he takes the WWE's moves and doesn't tell you how to land where it won't hurt, I like the one where he powerbombs they guy and then proceeds to knock him the f*ck out when he is dazed for that split second...
Old 06-07-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Beaflag, if you hate Hughes, you must despise Arona.. He's the most boring fighter I've ever seen in my life.

CWA, that is awesome, I would love to attend a Hughes seminar at some point while he's still fighting.

KillerKlown, a lot of people say that about Royce and I agree. He brought BJJ into world view as one of the best martial arts in the world. However, I personally believe that Kazushi Sakuraba is far more influential than any of the Gracies. He made MMA what it is today.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nokeman
Heres a video of rampage getting treated like a little girl...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...age%22+Jackson
I bet wanderlei or rampage would treat 99% of us like a girl if we ever went one on one with them. Everyone loses, but even though rampage isn't the champ he's still one of my favorite fighters. He talks a lot of ****, he's funny and he can back up his ****(except the Wanderlei fight) Vitor was the **** back then. He's fighting June9th in San Jose against Allistair overeem.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Fedor is a monster, for sure. I'd like to see him go with Tim Silvia or Andre.

Matt Hughs is the most arrogant, cocky man in MMA today. And, as stated earlier, he's freakin' boring to watch. While he does at least back up his attitude, I look forward to watching him get his *** handed to him, and I believe St. Pierre is the one to do it (as long as he doesn't hand him an arm bar again...).

Tito + Shamrock 2... Now, I hate Tito, and I was always a big KS fan, but come on man, after the beating he took last time he better bring a friend for this one.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Clipper
Fedor is a monster, for sure. I'd like to see him go with Tim Silvia or Andre.

Matt Hughs is the most arrogant, cocky man in MMA today. And, as stated earlier, he's freakin' boring to watch. While he does at least back up his attitude, I look forward to watching him get his *** handed to him, and I believe St. Pierre is the one to do it (as long as he doesn't hand him an arm bar again...).

Tito + Shamrock 2... Now, I hate Tito, and I was always a big KS fan, but come on man, after the beating he took last time he better bring a friend for this one.
I agree with everything you just said
Old 06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounded to me like gracie was the arrogant one in that fight.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Beaflag, if you hate Hughes, you must despise Arona.. He's the most boring fighter I've ever seen in my life.
I really don't like any submission or ground fighters except for a very select few. That's why I don't like Hughes, Arona, Noguiera, and some others. I think it's majorly pansyish for you to be in a stand up fight, then fall to your back and hope the other guy tries to fight from a guard . That's how Rampage power bombed Arona, Matt Hughes got arm barred by Hallman, and Noguiera got pounded on by Fedor. I do like some fighters that are wrestling or submission based, but cand and will stand up and knock people the F out. Hidehoko Roshida is a major badass that can fight from any where and his judo throws are amazing. Mark "The Hammer" Coleman is another badass. He can throw bombs standing up, ground and pounds like a ****, and break peoples limbs (like his last fight with "Shogun"). Randy Couture is alright, sometimes he gets into the boring side of things. Other than that I really can't think of any off of the top of my head.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by bmfcamaro
sounded to me like gracie was the arrogant one in that fight.
Gracie was on a down ward spiral since he tied Shamrock in 1995. His next fight was in 2000, which he won, but since then he's gone Loss-Draw-Win-Draw-Loss. The rules changed in that time he was gone. No longer could he choke guys for thirty seconds after they tapped, break their arms as the ref was trying to pull him off because the fight ended, kick people in the *****, headbut, or pull their hair like a little girl. Anyone who's ever seen his fight with Kimo knows what I meen. He would have lost that fight if he wasn't holding Kimo's hair and headbutting him at the same time. Royce's legend is based off of fighting with a dirty and unrefined style. That's why I dislike Royce and find him greatly overrated.

EDITED SPELLING

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 06-07-2006 at 09:50 PM.