Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

ZO6 vs DSM

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.shea
mazda did it with thier rx7's and with a tiny 1.3? liters. thier turbos were sequential though right?
Exactly... Were that not the case, then... Well, all fast RX-7's ditch the twin set-ups VERY early on. That should explain...
Old 09-01-2006, 07:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2guru
Not likely. The STi 6spd is probably one of the strongest OEM 6spd trans. ever produced. I have yet to ever hear of one eat a gear or break a shaft due to abuse or launching.
They are conservatively rated by Subaru's STi division at 800ft/lbs.
Breaking rear axles are another story. And a very common one.
Thanks for the clarification. I had just been talking to a guy with a WRX and he said he had drivetrain issues and was breaking something or another if he launched it hard on drag radials.

It's a WRX from 02 or 03, whatever year when they hadn't released the STi yet.

Anyway, definitely quick *** cars. I was cruising home from work one day and this guy jumped on it and stuck on my bumper from 30-80mph before we both let off. Surprised me for sure. Quick is quick, period. I just wish they were two doors and not four.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chris.shea
mazda did it with thier rx7's and with a tiny 1.3? liters. thier turbos were sequential though right?
Apples to oranges though. A 1.3l rotary is equiv to about a 3.0 piston motor. And yes they were sequential turbos, as were the 93-98 Supra TT's. They used one small turbo that spooled all the time and then a larger turbo pre-spooled at about 3500 and came on full boost at around 4500. Most Supra guys do the TTC mod in which they wire the wastegates to make both turbos operate in parallel. It adds a little more power on the dyno and switches the powerband upward. I guess it helps them in their 120-200 roll races. Most Supra owners think NHRA stands for National Highway Roll Association.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The DSM is impressive, but that drivetrain must take one hell of a beating launching like that on the limiter.

I've heard of guys in STi's and EVO's trying the same and grenading their transmissions. But we all have our weak links I guess.

Fast is Fast.. period.
my buddy dumps the clutchin his evo 8 at 7 grand and has no poroblems..too bad its only about as fast as a lightly modified m6 ls1 z28
Old 09-01-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by big reg
Apples to oranges though. A 1.3l rotary is equiv to about a 3.0 piston motor. And yes they were sequential turbos, as were the 93-98 Supra TT's. They used one small turbo that spooled all the time and then a larger turbo pre-spooled at about 3500 and came on full boost at around 4500. Most Supra guys do the TTC mod in which they wire the wastegates to make both turbos operate in parallel. It adds a little more power on the dyno and switches the powerband upward. I guess it helps them in their 120-200 roll races. Most Supra owners think NHRA stands for National Highway Roll Association.
Good post... Well, now imagine the 4g63 I4 with two turbos (NON-SEQUENTIAL)... I don't even want to think about that lag.

I have NEVER seen or heard of a sequential set-up that's aftermarket... Two turbo's on a small 2.0 I4 just seems silly to me... I'd have to look at the dynograph.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Good post... Well, now imagine the 4g63 I4 with two turbos (NON-SEQUENTIAL)... I don't even want to think about that lag.

I have NEVER seen or heard of a sequential set-up that's aftermarket... Two turbo's on a small 2.0 I4 just seems silly to me... I'd have to look at the dynograph.
I know a reputable shop was toying with the idea years ago using two T-25's which came stock on the 95-99 2G cars. They abandoned the idea due to ridiculous lag, cost, etc... I will scan through some old mags to see if I can find his name, Doug something I believe. I still love DSM's and am looking for a pristine 98-99 (very hard to come by) as I never should have sold mine. They are decent cars when built right which very few are.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mr2guru
Not likely. The STi 6spd is probably one of the strongest OEM 6spd trans. ever produced. I have yet to ever hear of one eat a gear or break a shaft due to abuse or launching.
They are conservatively rated by Subaru's STi division at 800ft/lbs.
Breaking rear axles are another story. And a very common one.
While I know of a few cars putting down over 700awhp using the STi 6 speed and know how strong it is. No tranny is break proof.

And here is your breakage.. And for the record this is an STi with a WRX wing.
STi 6 speed boom
Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrAb
It would take under 10k to make that dsm that fast, so u take 10k + 1k for the car subtract that from the cost of the Z06. U get a old dude crying over his new z06...

O god it felt fast a the dealership, DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
I seriously doubt that. 100% Why? Cause a DSM is a 15 year old piece of **** worth less than the tires on the Z06. The whole faster and cheaper thing is pathetic charade. You can go faster for cheaper in a small block powered rust heap from the early 80s than you can in an LS1, but I doubt it makes a difference to anyone here or would sway them away from their Gen IIIs. The DSM could run single digits, and I hope I'm not alone in saying I'd rather have the Z06
Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Wasn't a ZO6 and for only 540 rwhp is sad for a pro charged vette. did he just bolt on a charger? probably and sad.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Wasn't a ZO6 and for only 540 rwhp is sad for a pro charged vette. did he just bolt on a charger? probably and sad.
You are thinking of the race between Jake and a different Vette. If you ACTUALLY watched the video you would see that it is CLEARLY a C6 Z06.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quick1998Z28
I seriously doubt that. 100% Why? Cause a DSM is a 15 year old piece of **** worth less than the tires on the Z06. The whole faster and cheaper thing is pathetic charade. You can go faster for cheaper in a small block powered rust heap from the early 80s than you can in an LS1, but I doubt it makes a difference to anyone here or would sway them away from their Gen IIIs. The DSM could run single digits, and I hope I'm not alone in saying I'd rather have the Z06

I agree. I really hate the new car vs modded old car debate. In reality it has nothing to do with the cars, just economics.

If given the choice I would burn my DSM if I would get a new Z06 for free.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fyi, my coworked has a 2000 eclipse with the 3.0 v6.
trying to get his initial dyno sheet from him when he first put them on.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by boostedinaz
I agree. I really hate the new car vs modded old car debate. In reality it has nothing to do with the cars, just economics.

If given the choice I would burn my DSM if I would get a new Z06 for free.
If given the choice, I can think of alot of cars I'd take over the C6 Z06, too.

For free, though.

Anyhow, people can downplay the car all they want, but the owner of the DSM is obviously into his car... Those of us that have an obsession with our cars, wouldn't trade them for anything. If someone offered me a new C6 Z06 but I had to give up MY car (and couldn't buy it again, hypothetically), I wouldn't... Too many bruised knuckles, too many hours squatted in pain applying wax, too many hours invested... I wouldn't give up my car for anything... That's just me though... I'm a little nuts I guess. But I love my ******* car.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bboyferal
If given the choice, I can think of alot of cars I'd take over the C6 Z06, too.

For free, though.

Anyhow, people can downplay the car all they want, but the owner of the DSM is obviously into his car... Those of us that have an obsession with our cars, wouldn't trade them for anything. If someone offered me a new C6 Z06 but I had to give up MY car (and couldn't buy it again, hypothetically), I wouldn't... Too many bruised knuckles, too many hours squatted in pain applying wax, too many hours invested... I wouldn't give up my car for anything... That's just me though... I'm a little nuts I guess. But I love my ******* car.
I agree 100%. My cousin would give me more than I paid for my car if I were to sell it as would most I know. I could not let it go. I actually enjoy sweating in the sun waxing it, polishing the rims and then just staring at it.

Some of the attitudes on this site in regards to anything other than a LSX powered car are ridiculous. Building a fast DSM is not nearly as expensive as Honda or any other NA motor. Purpose built FI cars are cheaper to mod than NA to FI cars. Just look at the 03/04 Cobras or how easy it is to hit 400-450 rwhp in Supra's on the factory power adders. I had well over 450awhp on mine and had way less than 15k into it. If anyone wants I can break down the entire build. 1G cars are even cheaper to build especially the early 6 bolt cars with 1g big rods.

And I love the idea of someone getting pissed about the cost issue of the cars. Is that not the same argument F-body guys use about 03-04 Cobras. "Well I paid 8K less for a shitbox pounded high mileage LS1 and if i put that into the car i would have yadda yadda hp and kill the Cobra." Or the famous well it has a blower from the factory, if GM put one on it would be game over. Well they didn't so shut the **** up and run what ya brung.

Last edited by big reg; 09-01-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

I agree 100%. My cousin would give me more than I paid for my car if I were to sell it as would most I know. I could not let it go. I actually enjoy sweating in the sun waxing it, polishing the rims and then just staring at it.

Some of the attitudes on this site in regards to anything other than a LSX powered car are ridiculous. Building a fast DSM is not nearly as expensive as Honda or any other NA motor. Purpose built FI cars are cheaper to mod than NA to FI cars. Just look at the 03/04 Cobras or how easy it is to hit 400-450 rwhp in Supra's on the factory power adders. I had well over 450awhp on mine and had way less than 15k into it. If anyone wants I can break down the entire build. 1G cars are even cheaper to build especially the early 6 bolt cars with 1g big rods.

And I love the idea of someone getting pissed about the cost issue of the cars. Is that not the same argument F-body guys use about 03-04 Cobras. "Well I paid 8K less for a shitbox pounded high mileage LS1 and if i put that into the car i would have yadda yadda hp and kill the Cobra." Or the famous well it has a blower from the factory, if GM put one on it would be game over. Well they didn't so shut the **** up and run what ya brung.

You are a real work of Art. We are going to compaire modded cars to stock cars. So some kid goes out and buys a 2001 z28 for $6K and dumps $6K in to it would be ******* fast if he did it right. You are also compairing new price to used prices. Apples and Oranges
Old 09-01-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

You are a real work of Art. We are going to compaire modded cars to stock cars. So some kid goes out and buys a 2001 z28 for $6K and dumps $6K in to it would be ******* fast if he did it right. You are also compairing new price to used prices. Apples and Oranges
Thanks for the compliment. As far as new to used I gave an example f-body guys use to validate their cost claims. 03 Cobras can be had for 22-23k. A nice f-bod not a pounded pos 98-99 with over 100k on the clock that was not taken care of by an F-bod enthusiast like us. No offense to anyone with a 98 etc... you see what im getting at. A 01-02 fbod with low miles in good condition will run you 16.5 to 19k. So actually "my argument" was relevant. We all know which is the better car, but it is was not the fastest on that day. Get over it and quit bench racing. If the z06 had a cam, headers, tune etc... it might have been different but he didn't. Enough said.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the compliment. As far as new to used I gave an example f-body guys use to validate their cost claims. 03 Cobras can be had for 22-23k. A nice f-bod not a pounded pos 98-99 with over 100k on the clock that was not taken care of by an F-bod enthusiast like us. No offense to anyone with a 98 etc... you see what im getting at. A 01-02 fbod with low miles in good condition will run you 16.5 to 19k. So actually "my argument" was relevant. We all know which is the better car, but it is was not the fastest on that day. Get over it and quit bench racing. If the z06 had a cam, headers, tune etc... it might have been different but he didn't. Enough said.
so a 2K dollar Talon is going to be an Awsome car? LMAO
Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

so a 2K dollar Talon is going to be an Awsome car? LMAO
Lol, it is obviously not our cup of tea but I am sure the owner thinks so.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Lol, it is obviously not our cup of tea but I am sure the owner thinks so.
I guess at the end of the day, it's all about who get's down the road first and safe. I encourage people to modify what ever they want. It's a good Hobby.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

I guess at the end of the day, it's all about who get's down the road first and safe. I encourage people to modify what ever they want. It's a good Hobby.
Best post I have seen in long time. At the end of the day we are all trying to do the same thing. Some just choose different methods to achieve the same goal. That Z06 is still one of the sexiest cars i have seen though.