Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Evolution Performance: Shelby GT500 Breaks Its Own Record 3 Times @ The Track (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how to some people "some weight reduction" is taking out the spare and carpet and to other people "some weight reduction" means not dishing out the cash to buy lighter bolts for the car after stripping anything and everything off of it.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big reg
According to info I found on SVTPerformance, this car has a custom headers, and full exhaust with a custom x-pipe setup. CAI, ported blower, pulley, tuning, suspension mods, slicks, some weight reduction and a cage. It also runs on race gas, a little fact that probably was not supposed to be released, kind of like the ported blower at first. Hardly a setup the average joe will have on the streets.
I'm guessing that the custom headers and custom x-pipe could be a result of nobody having any available for this car yet.

Except for the cage (which didn't make it go faster), why wouldn't the "average joe" have everything else on the list?

Last edited by gnxs; 10-10-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Oink.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gnxs
I'm guessing that the custom headers and custom x-pipe could be a result of nobody having any available for this car yet.

Except for the cage (which didn't make it go faster), why wouldn't the "average joe" have everything else on the list?
I doubt the average joe will have a drag race oriented suspension setup or be running race gas or be running on slicks and skinnies. I think they are great cars but are overpriced and overweight. I also don't agree with whoring your car around on every site and not giving details involved in the build up such as hiding the fact it had a ported blower at first and not revealing it runs on race gas. The numbers are very impressive and speak for themselves but to hide alot of mods (Im sure there are more they are hiding too) is not a very good business tactic in my book. They are quick to post vids of the car doing its thing but never to be heard from when people ask how it was done.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bad car, but does anyone know the name of the song?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big reg
I doubt the average joe will have a drag race oriented suspension setup or be running race gas or be running on slicks and skinnies. I think they are great cars but are overpriced and overweight. I also don't agree with whoring your car around on every site and not giving details involved in the build up such as hiding the fact it had a ported blower at first and not revealing it runs on race gas. The numbers are very impressive and speak for themselves but to hide alot of mods (Im sure there are more they are hiding too) is not a very good business tactic in my book. They are quick to post vids of the car doing its thing but never to be heard from when people ask how it was done.
Anybody who bothered to go to their website and downloaded their dyno video would have seen a list of the mods the car has at the beginning of the video. I seem to remember the ported blower and suspension mentioned when I first saw that video:
http://www.evoperform.com/GT500/dyno2.wmv

Just because some yo-yo on SVTP didn't know them or mention them doesn't mean Evolution was trying to hide them.

And just because this car was at the track on "race gas" doesn't mean it needs to be. I run some race gas at the track on my 93 octane tune just for a little added insurance. Since they're breaking new ground and experimenting (and learning) with this car perhaps they want to ensure it stays together. My understanding is that the 2.6 pulley gives 13 psi....not nearly enough to require anything more than 93 octane (at least it wasn't on an 03-04 Cobra). If I was suspicious about anything they've mentioned so far, it would be the boost level. That's the thing current Cobra owners always seem to lowball.

BTW, at the f-body track rental I just attended, most of the 60+ f-bodies there had a combination of some of the following: slicks, skinnies, lightweight rims, suspension mods (some of them substantial), headers, cams, N20, heads, F/I, etc. and maybe 8-10 of them were what you might consider "race cars". The rest drove home from the track and are used on the street regularly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet the owners of those cars might consider themselves "average joes" when it comes to their mods and their cars.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car for sure. Thing looks business, except for those gay *** Ford mirrors.

I Agree with GNXS, but also think we need some more info/pics.

Lets hear it Evolution, and see some more pics
Old 10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GotV-8
Bad car, but does anyone know the name of the song?
Breaking Benjamin - Had Enough

And this is a race car that your "average joe" wouldn't have. Why? Because no one, and I mean no one puts light weight drag brakes on a 2 ton street car.

And for the last time, I watched you (Evolution Performance) run low 13s on drag radials with this car a few months back at Cecil. I've seen full weight stock GM cars with 200HP less do better.

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 10-10-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody who bothered to go to their website and downloaded their dyno video would have seen a list of the mods the car has at the beginning of the video. I seem to remember the ported blower and suspension mentioned when I first saw that video:
http://www.evoperform.com/GT500/dyno2.wmv

Just because some yo-yo on SVTP didn't know them or mention them doesn't mean Evolution was trying to hide them.

And just because this car was at the track on "race gas" doesn't mean it needs to be. I run some race gas at the track on my 93 octane tune just for a little added insurance. Since they're breaking new ground and experimenting (and learning) with this car perhaps they want to ensure it stays together. My understanding is that the 2.6 pulley gives 13 psi....not nearly enough to require anything more than 93 octane (at least it wasn't on an 03-04 Cobra). If I was suspicious about anything they've mentioned so far, it would be the boost level. That's the thing current Cobra owners always seem to lowball.

BTW, at the f-body track rental I just attended, most of the 60+ f-bodies there had a combination of some of the following: slicks, skinnies, lightweight rims, suspension mods (some of them substantial), headers, cams, N20, heads, F/I, etc. and maybe 8-10 of them were what you might consider "race cars". The rest drove home from the track and are used on the street regularly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet the owners of those cars might consider themselves "average joes" when it comes to their mods and their cars.
People are paying upwards of 50-60k for Gt 500's. So no, you aren't going to see too many being whored out. F-bods are obviously much cheaper at this point. Also, many owners may not want to risk modding because they are collectors and don't want to risk future resale. A Gt and an F-bod cannot be compared in price or performance.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
And this is a race car that your "average joe" wouldn't have. Why? Because no one, and I mean no one puts light weight drag brakes on a 2 ton street car.

And for the last time, I watched you (Evolution Performance) run low 13s on drag radials with this car a few months back at Cecil. I've seen full weight stock GM cars with 200HP less do better.
Yea, those drag brakes gave him at least .5 in the 1/4.

Maybe this guy is more representative of your "average joe":

http://svtperformance.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=326307

4200 pound (yea it's a fat pig) GT500 'Vert still on the stock pulley. Mods in his sig.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

4200 pound (yea it's a fat pig) GT500 'Vert still on the stock pulley. Mods in his sig.
Well then this must be representative of your average bolt-on C5Z06 with 380rwhp. Dr.Ron C5Z06
Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
Well then this must be representative of your average bolt-on C5Z06 with 380rwhp. Dr.Ron C5Z06
Looks like I need to clarify. I said the guy was typical of the "average joe" (from a mods perspective), not that this is what the "average" car with those mods would run. And yes, those mods are certainly within the realm of the "average joe" Z06 owner, but as you already know very few C5 Z06's are gonna come close to those times with the same mods. Oh yea, running at Atco always helps.

BTW, no need to be hater (don't kill the messenger for the message), I was just providing an additional perspective (example).

Last edited by gnxs; 10-11-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like I need to clarify. I said the guy was typical of the "average joe" (from a mods perspective), not that this is what the "average" car with those mods would run. And yes, those mods are certainly within the realm of the "average joe" Z06 owner, but very few C5 Z06's are gonna come close to those times with the same mods. Oh yea, running at Atco always helps.

BTW, no need to be hater (don't kill the messenger for the message), I was just providing an additional perspective (example).
Looks like you may need to read my other posts in this thread with regard to hating. Your average joe comparison WAS in fact to show the best time you have seen with the most minimal modifications. There would be no point otherwise. Why wouldn't you post up a link to guy with a cat-back and gears an no 1/4 time then? Get my point.
And yes, that c5Z was run at Atco with 380rwhp just like Evolution. Imagine what it would do with another 220rwhp.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Now that to me is impressive. I am not hating the GT500, I love them as I do 03-04 Cobra's. I just dont agree with Evolution business tactic of turning a vehicle into almost a drag car and misleading people into thinking every "average joe" will be doing this on the street. Hell when the prices come back to earth and whenever they offer A-Plan (highly unlikely but hey) I will own one. But I know it will be nothing like Evolution's car. Pulley,exhaust, CAI, tune etc... thats my idea of the average joe's car.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
Looks like you may need to read my other posts in this thread with regard to hating. Your average joe comparison WAS in fact to show the best time you have seen with the most minimal modifications. There would be no point otherwise. Why wouldn't you post up a link to guy with a cat-back and gears an no 1/4 time then? Get my point.
And yes, that c5Z was run at Atco with 380rwhp just like Evolution. Imagine what it would do with another 220rwhp.
First off, unless I'm misreading it, there is a quarter mile time on the 07 GT500 in his sig.

I did read your earlier comments, but just dropping out a C5 Z06 time was why I commented.

No, I missed your point I guess.

Obviously the power to weight ratio (and aerodynamics) of a C5 Z06 making the same power as the Evolution GT500 would be far superior, so I would expect 9 second timeslips in the 1/4.

That said, since I have friends of mine from back home (NJ) with Cartek packages on their LS1's making (or have made in the past) similar power to the GT500 and have run high 9's-low 10's, so there's really no speculation about it on my part.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

[
QUOTE=gnxs] First off, unless I'm misreading it, there is a quarter mile time on the 07 GT500 in his sig.
Exactly. And a very impressive one at that. What I'm saying is that you linked an impressive time with minimal mods and used it as an average joe comparison and then stated it had nothing to do with the ET. Well, I'm sure you could find 20 other GT's that are having a hard time getting out of the 12's with the same mods, but chose not to link them. The same can be said for any other car. I agree 100% that your avg. joe IS NOT going to go 11.20 @122 in a bolt-on C5Z. There is another member on the Z06 forum that went 11.7's @ 118ish in Montreal with a bone stock C5Z on street tires, so there is obviously a fast track in that area. Not to mention some good drivers.

I did read your earlier comments, but just dropping out a C5 Z06 time was why I commented.
I dropped the C5Z bolt-on time at Atco as a point of reference only. Cars run fast there, not taking anything away from the drivers either. They are obviously bringing their A-game.

That said, since I have friends of mine from back home (NJ) with Cartek packages on their LS1's making (or have made in the past) similar power to the GT500 and have run high 9's-low 10's, so there's really no speculation about it on my part.
Then I am preaching to the choir, so to speak. You obviously know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

I think we understand each other now.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me get this straight...

07 GT500, 4200lbs, ~450rwhp = 125+ MPH

06 Z06, 3100lbs, ~450rwhp = 125+ MPH

Am I missing something here? Everyone else is trapping at best 7 MPH slower.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

That car is sick!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Let me get this straight...

07 GT500, 4200lbs, ~450rwhp = 125+ MPH

06 Z06, 3100lbs, ~450rwhp = 125+ MPH

Am I missing something here? Everyone else is trapping at best 7 MPH slower.
Tell me about it. I'm not sure what to believe with these cars yet in terms of what the basic mods net. 125mph in a basically stock 4200lb car would require more than 450-470 rwhp. Am i to believe these cars are faster than 03-04 Cobra's with KB's and Whipples that have more hp and weigh less. I find that hard to believe.