Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Is my car totalled? - Help fellas-

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

she had 73k on her...

would I be able to opt for it to be totalled? Her title's dirty as hell now, and if I can get a decent buy out for it I'll do it. I'll just opt for a 98+ WS6 M6
Old 12-10-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

what does everyone think (whom have gotten in accidents where it wasnt their fault and the other person's insurance paid for it (a to z, 100%) I might be able to get for the car? She has USAA so the insurance company isnt a small, crappy one.

Any ideas gents?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah get a new car, you wont be able to persuade the appraiser into "hooking you up" with anything because he will be from the other drivers insurance company. As for what you get for the car, it wont be 16K!!! They will have a book that tells them that average miles on a car for that year, what it is, they will find out about the history of the car (if it's a salvage) and they will get a value for the car. If it will cost more than 80% of the value to fix it, the car will be totaled. If I were you I would take the offer, buy the car back from them and part everything on it. If your lucky maybe you will make a few bucks and be able to get an LS1.

Last edited by LS1IMPULSE; 12-10-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
Yeah get a new car, you wont be able to persuade the appraiser into "hooking you up" with anything because he will be from the other drivers insurance company. As for what you get for the car, it wont be 16K!!! They will have a book that tells them that average miles on a car for that year, what it is, they will find out about the history of the car (if it's a salvage) and they will get a value for the car. If it will cost more than 80% of the value to fix it, the car will be totaled. If I were you I would take the offer, buy the car back from them and part everything on it. If your lucky maybe you will make a few bucks and be able to get an LS1.

alright...the KBB on my car is around $8.2k with my miles...but they wouldnt know if it was in "excellent condition" or "good condition" after what happened...Im guessing they're going to go for "excellent".

BUT...I'll do it for $8k sinse the car will have a dirty car after that...split the $8.2 in half, 4.1k for a daily driver down payment and $4.1k for a down payment for a new bird....is that a good plan?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

You might want to refuse their first offer.. they will always low ball you. I had some drunk guy hit an old lt1 formula. They wanted to give me 4k for it. After I grilled them for a while I got over double that.. but it took forever.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

I bought my 1992 Camaro for 3200 bucks cash. A month later someone pulled out in front of me and I t-boned them (no chance of stopping). My car still drove fine (besides the bumper draggin on the ground, I think I used bailing wire to hold it up nice n' ghetto). They called it totaled and gave me a check for 3450ish and I got to keep the car, or they would get rid of my car for me for another $180 lol! I was like **** just gimme the $3450. All in all I traded my wrecked Camaro plus like 3k for a truck that bluebooked twice my camaro. See if they will total it give you payoff and if you can keep it. Worked great for me .
Old 12-11-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine was much worse and the insurance company didnt total it. It was around 8k to fix!!!! The damage was in the same area.
Attached Thumbnails Is my car totalled? - Help fellas--wreck.jpg   Is my car totalled? - Help fellas--wreck1.jpg   Is my car totalled? - Help fellas--wreck2.jpg   Is my car totalled? - Help fellas--wreck3.jpg  
Old 12-12-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkbird
Mine was much worse and the insurance company didnt total it. It was around 8k to fix!!!! The damage was in the same area.

holy ****!

what insurance did you go through?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phrozen755
alright...the KBB on my car is around $8.2k with my miles...but they wouldnt know if it was in "excellent condition" or "good condition" after what happened...Im guessing they're going to go for "excellent".

BUT...I'll do it for $8k sinse the car will have a dirty car after that...split the $8.2 in half, 4.1k for a daily driver down payment and $4.1k for a down payment for a new bird....is that a good plan?
They dont care about the condition/miles of YOUR car, they have a little book to give them the average condition/miles for that year/make/model car.

Also, just remember that the car can be fixed but it will never be the same again. The first truck I ever owned was a 96 F-150 9" Lift 35's and bunch of other ****. It was almost totaled but insurance decided to repair. It looked great once it was done but it always had its little quircks after that.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

sorry to see that.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by phrozen755
holy ****!

what insurance did you go through?
I was with USAA at the time.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

well all I can say is that I have had a pretty good experience with usaa as far as with how much they gave me for the car........In early 2004 I bought a 2001 Mustang GT w/24000 miles for $14,100 for my girlfriend(she would make the payments). About 3 months ago she got hit by a drunk driver twice in one wreck and the driver had USAA insurance. She walked away with back and neck injuries but they offered us $14,050 for the totalled vehicle with 52,000 miles on it. The mustang had every available option from the factory. That was their first offer too..........I was only expecting to get 11 or 12k because thats what the average of all the values from all the companies was. The car was pretty much stock with a bassani X pipe/flowmaster exhaust/ and a K&N. We did have some aftermarket 10.5 inch bullet rims in the back also. So we pretty much drove the car for 50 bucks plus maintnence(SP)........not bad at all. They gave us a rent a car for a week but took it away as soon as they mailed the check which also took 7 days to recieve then an extra week to clear the bank. It was kinda BS in my book that they didnt overnight the check. So we had to share a car for about 3 weeks until she purchased her car she has now. We came out almost even car wise which from what I hear doesnt happen that often. The whole process was pretty stressfull and took about a month and a half.

So the best advice i can tell you is that if they give you an offer that isnt reasonable tell them your not happy with the offer. They will make another. Also do your homework on what the average cost of how much that car is worth stock(I doubt your going to get money for mods unless you have reciepts and they are willing to reimburse you for them). If they do total the car demod it as long as you replace it with something. Im not sure you will be as fortunate as us but they are a pretty reasonable insurance company. Its also going to take a while also so be patient. That is all...............lol
Old 12-13-2006, 02:15 AM
Teching In

No.

I have totaled two transams and wrecked an ss. I can tell you that i have had pretty much similiar damage in one of the transams i totaled. BUT i also had front end damage that was bad. Since all your damage is contained to your rear i'd say you're good. Although its probably around $5,500 worth of damage/repair. You lucked out.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Launching!

when i was backed into by some guy not paying attention...the insuranse company tried to **** me because my car was an 84 camaro z28...pretty much since it wasn't my fault i told them if the car doesn't get put back into the condition it was in we are hitting a court room...the car got fixed

dont take what they give and make sure they know its your baby and you're not ******* around
Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, the shop I took it to wouldnt correct the problem i still had with it. It was leaking diff fluid from the wheel that got hit. I took it back two time to them and they said it was nothing, that it was coming from somewhere else. Well I finally told the insurance that I was not taking it back to them to get it fixed and that I was going to the dealer. Well, the dealer found the problem and fixed it. I didnt pay a dime and got a rental out of it as well. They ended up billing the shop for the cost of the repairs and my rental.....
Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Doesn't look totaled but if the car is valued at less than the repairs it will be. I just had the drivers rear quarter replaced after a old hag hit me.

Rear Quarter replace - $1800 Cheapest I could find!

Used Part Prices Ala Ebay New parts will be way more!
Rear Bumper cover - $150
Rear Bumper Foam - $75
Drivers Tailight - $175
Drivers side door - $250
Replacement chrome C5 Wheel - $450
Labor $50-100 per hour 10+ hours labor ($500-1000)

Relative total
$3900-$5000

What is your cars NADA Value?

Any frame damage?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Default Totaled!

The car can be fixed but it will never be straight , bottom line....... totaled!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pheonix_rising
Doesn't look totaled but if the car is valued at less than the repairs it will be. I just had the drivers rear quarter replaced after a old hag hit me.

Rear Quarter replace - $1800 Cheapest I could find!

Used Part Prices Ala Ebay New parts will be way more!
Rear Bumper cover - $150
Rear Bumper Foam - $75
Drivers Tailight - $175
Drivers side door - $250
Replacement chrome C5 Wheel - $450
Labor $50-100 per hour 10+ hours labor ($500-1000)

Relative total
$3900-$5000

What is your cars NADA Value?

Any frame damage?

The lady said from $9k to $13k, but she claims they "check the local papers" to find the best value of the car.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 306 That Could
well all I can say is that I have had a pretty good experience with usaa as far as with how much they gave me for the car........In early 2004 I bought a 2001 Mustang GT w/24000 miles for $14,100 for my girlfriend(she would make the payments). About 3 months ago she got hit by a drunk driver twice in one wreck and the driver had USAA insurance. She walked away with back and neck injuries but they offered us $14,050 for the totalled vehicle with 52,000 miles on it. The mustang had every available option from the factory. That was their first offer too..........I was only expecting to get 11 or 12k because thats what the average of all the values from all the companies was. The car was pretty much stock with a bassani X pipe/flowmaster exhaust/ and a K&N. We did have some aftermarket 10.5 inch bullet rims in the back also. So we pretty much drove the car for 50 bucks plus maintnence(SP)........not bad at all. They gave us a rent a car for a week but took it away as soon as they mailed the check which also took 7 days to recieve then an extra week to clear the bank. It was kinda BS in my book that they didnt overnight the check. So we had to share a car for about 3 weeks until she purchased her car she has now. We came out almost even car wise which from what I hear doesnt happen that often. The whole process was pretty stressfull and took about a month and a half.

So the best advice i can tell you is that if they give you an offer that isnt reasonable tell them your not happy with the offer. They will make another. Also do your homework on what the average cost of how much that car is worth stock(I doubt your going to get money for mods unless you have reciepts and they are willing to reimburse you for them). If they do total the car demod it as long as you replace it with something. Im not sure you will be as fortunate as us but they are a pretty reasonable insurance company. Its also going to take a while also so be patient. That is all...............lol

Yeah, im in my current rental right now....a Chevy Aveo....LOL! Aveo FTW.

Fruities thing I've ever driven, its without a doubt a clown car.

ANYWAY....That sucks about the check time though, I dont know what I'm going to do...that bird was my only car...I gotta get on the phone with them and dispute it somehow, cause if I give up this rental I'm S.O.L
Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pheonix_rising
Doesn't look totaled but if the car is valued at less than the repairs it will be. [/B]

i got over 3k back for insurance repairs when i was hit and i dont think my year of car blue books anything high over 1500