Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

ZO6 might need more power, Viper gets more power 08(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauge
This sounds like a ricer talking. The Viper is a superior car. It's no surprise considering the additional cost, but it's still a better car in general. There's no need to go to all the effort to make the 'vette sound better. Give props where they're due.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not utilize what you have under the hood, instead of bumping up the displacement? Those are huge motors for only producing 500 and 600hp. And the torque of the viper is pathetic. 8.4 liters and producing less torque than you do hp. Bmw has a 10cyl 5.0 liter motor that makes 500hp and nearly 400ftlb with a 8250rpm redline. If Chevy and Dodge would take a different approach and use dohc setups or some for of vvt, they would see better results performance wise. Most exotic and performace cars use almost half the displacement and offer better performance. Please dont you cost as a factor becuase this is about supply and demand.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

I love ZO6s, Cobras, VIPERS ect. ect. Me personally, I like the Viper the most ( you may Love the ZO6). They all make tons of power, and they all do it in Diff. ways. I think a lot of people think one car should always be on top or that the car they like can never be slower then the car they like least, but this is never going to happen( for some of you, sorry but the truth hurts). It seems that almost every car has had its moment in the spotlight or is going to have its moment in the spotlight, but it's usually just that,, A Moment( I think the Viper was the fastest production car when it came out but it did't last long,,,Don't quote me though). As soon as a newer faster car comes out or is revamped it is already out dated, in some aspects. There is always a newer faster computer coming out everyday, same thing for cars ( be it just a F-body car being modded or just a new car being drawn up on paper by a company). By the time they have a new super car ready for production there is already another company coming up with a newer super car. It's all the same. So, after all that,, I like the New Viper and think that the extra power shall give it the edge against a C6-ZO6, but for now untill it comes out, The C6-ZO6 is the faster toy when it comes to stock for stock. Sorry I write so much, whish I was like this when I was in school .
Old 01-01-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 25psi
Why not utilize what you have under the hood, instead of bumping up the displacement? Those are huge motors for only producing 500 and 600hp. And the torque of the viper is pathetic. 8.4 liters and producing less torque than you do hp. Bmw has a 10cyl 5.0 liter motor that makes 500hp and nearly 400ftlb with a 8250rpm redline. If Chevy and Dodge would take a different approach and use dohc setups or some for of vvt, they would see better results performance wise. Most exotic and performace cars use almost half the displacement and offer better performance. Please dont you cost as a factor becuase this is about supply and demand.
well the new cadillac XLR's are already equipped with dohc vvt northstar v-8's.......i believe it makes around 440hp, and its based of the corvette platform if im not mistaken?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 69mach
tell that to Kenne bell, but i would much rather have a big displacement engine no doubt.
werd. i think ultimately that's what it's all about. bigger motor make bigger power.

Last edited by kaos_; 01-01-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The viper will always be second best, and the Cobra mustang will always need to be supercharged
This is one of those posts where ignorance becomes funny so.....

Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kaos_
werd. i think ultimately that's what it's all about. bigger motor make bigger power.
Seeing what kenne bell has done with ford modular engines is crazy, I mean 600 hp from a 289cc and 800hp from a 330cc and thats all on stock internals . Bigger motor does mean bigger power but emission control makes it hard for a manufacturer to produce the true potential out of an engine b/c of emission constraints.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Enough of this supercharged crap, when are the going to put a turbo on the vette, lol.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

lets not be so close minded, sure the new vette needs a blower to keep up with the viper......but can you imagine the possiblitys?

that would mean that its going to be a forged motor, so now us GM guys can do pulley/tunes and maybe kenne bell's or other forced induction on a vette without having to worry about bottom end

this of course depends if its forged and if you can afford one
Old 01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Horsepower is a function of torque. DOHC setups tend to be heavier, more complicated, and make for a MUCH bigger motor in physical size. Why would you wnat a larger heavier motor that makes no more power? Power per liter is the dumbest argument ever when all that really matters is power per pound.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back on topic, don't think the 600hp for the new viper is etched in stone just yet, there is definitely still more room in the engine to play. Remember viper was king of the American Sports car for the longest, Vette came out and pulled a nice move and beat the viper this last year, dont think it will be that easy this time for Vette.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Agreed ^^.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69mach
Seeing what kenne bell has done with ford modular engines is crazy, I mean 600 hp from a 289cc and 800hp from a 330cc and thats all on stock internals . Bigger motor does mean bigger power but emission control makes it hard for a manufacturer to produce the true potential out of an engine b/c of emission constraints.
I think you meant ci, not cc...and it would be 281ci right.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unit213
I think you meant ci, not cc...and it would be 281ci right.
yes LOL in my case it would have been a small @ss motor I have Jet skis on my mind rite now
Old 01-02-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much more do you think an aluminum block Dohc motor would be? You can offset that structurely. Meaning, making the body lighter in certain areas. DOHC motors tyopically make more power than OHV or OHC. Chevy could make more power with the same displacement and have a motor that is more effecient. Take a look at the viper. Eventhough they still utilize prehistoric pushrod technology, they incorporated VVTI in there new viper. If I where GM, I would take a closer look at what BMW has done with there M series motors, especially M5 and M6.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How much more do you think an aluminum block Dohc motor would be? You can offset that structurely. Meaning, making the body lighter in certain areas. DOHC motors tyopically make more power than OHV or OHC. Chevy could make more power with the same displacement and have a motor that is more effecient. Take a look at the viper. Eventhough they still utilize prehistoric pushrod technology, they incorporated VVTI in there new viper. If I where GM, I would take a closer look at what BMW has done with there M series motors, especially M5 and M6.
haha at it again... Seriously why are you on here?
How much heavier would an al. block DOHC engine be? Well lets look at some numbers. We can look at the LS7, which according to this post , weighs 440lbs. While the "high tech" BMW V10 weighs a heafty (Viper V10 like) 530lbs according to BMW.
So if you were GM you would want to spend more to make an engine thats heavier, physically bigger, and with a more peaky torque curve?
If anything BMW needs to take a look at the LS7, and learn that highschool arguments such as hp/l are completely meaningless.

And I love how the stupid OHC fanboys try and rave on the "prehistoric technology" of pushrod engines, although they were introduced AFTER OHC engines...
Old 01-02-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You have pics of those cars in your sig or is all that BS???? Just curious!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

prehistoric pushrods?...so you honestly think just because some of GM's best motors dont use vvt and dohc set ups theyre obselete?......well then again go look at the streets,nascar,ihra,nhra,le mans etc....... if you honestly think that the lsx is the same pushrod motor as your dads old 70 chevy pickup then you have alot to learn about the evolution of american muscle.

and its not like GM isnt using vvt the northstar and the ecotec both use it.......and GM is also putting more research into- displacment on demand,awd,hybrids,hydrogen and other alternative fuels.There is no japanese company in the world that has as much diversity as GM when it comes to engines.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

GM.

USA! USA! USA!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

ha. amen to that. gm forever.