Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Tommy Banh's 228 Texas Mile video

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
There have been much faster already in the past bro Twin Turbo '87 Trans Am....
He said fastest street car in one mile bro...
Old 10-13-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver408
He said fastest street car in one mile bro....
Are you kidding? What part of the Banks Twin Turbo Trans Am do you honestly consider not to be streetable? It's a STOCK BODIED passenger car, running on gasoline, bro.....
Old 10-13-2007, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think hes doubting the street car part but after watching the video i find it hard to believe he did that in less than a mile.....
Old 10-13-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet 240 or so with traction!

He must have took off in second gear...according to the shifts.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Blk Z28
I dont think hes doubting the street car part but after watching the video i find it hard to believe he did that in less than a mile.....
I honestly don't know what MPH was realized when the one mile mark hit, as the video didn't embellish on that, specifically. But considering the Trans Am topped 103-mph in first gear, 2nd through 3rd topping 200-mph, w/fourth topping 263-mph, I don't possibly see how it couldn't have reached those speeds before the one mile marker was realized....
Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 PM
master of the "jack"stand

At Bonneville they are not going ***** out during the first mile of the run. Those cars are not geared for that. I highly doubt the Banks car went 228 at the end of the first mile. On top of that, there is not enough traction available on the salt to accelerate to 230 MPH in one mile.

Last edited by ChevyWeatherman; 10-13-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I honestly don't know what MPH was realized when the one mile mark hit, as the video didn't embellish on that, specifically. But considering the Trans Am topped 103-mph in first gear, 2nd through 3rd topping 200-mph, w/fourth topping 263-mph, I don't possibly see how it couldn't have reached those speeds before the one mile marker was realized....
If we don't know, we can't assume it did.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There have been much faster already in the past bro Twin Turbo '87 Trans Am....
Dude, thats NOT a standing mile competition, thats the fugging SALT FLATS for crying outloud. It takes them LONG distances to get to speed and that car hardly looked like anything other than a class built race car with a stock body.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
If we don't know, we can't assume it did.
When you consider the fact that LPE's C6-ZO6 ran 226-mph in the standing mile (Click Here), I think that it's a pretty safe assumption to say that the Banks Trans Am will shatter both the LPE's and the Supra's 228-mph best....

Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
Dude, thats NOT a standing mile competition, thats the fugging SALT FLATS for crying outloud. It takes them LONG distances to get to speed and that car hardly looked like anything other than a class built race car with a stock body.
LOL, dude, I KNOW that they're running on the salt flats. The Bank's weren't out to set a one mile record, that wasn't they're intent in this video, obviously. I posted the vid to show the car's speed capabilities. Put that very same car on the Texas mile, w/tires meant to run on the track, and see what happens. Incidently, I have no idea what you mean when you refer to it as "a class built race car", now that is an assumption if I ever heard one. Other than what is mandatory to run those speeds on the salt flats, or else they wouldn't be allowed to do so, the car is essentially the same from the factory....

"The Banks Trans Am is indeed a street machine in every sense of the word. It has good idle quality, good drivability, good looks, and it really hauls. It also has full carpeting and upholstery, factory bucket seats, full stereo sound system, and power windows"....

- GTA Source page

Last edited by Street Lethal; 10-14-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Banned

WOW congrats on building such a badass ride that thing moves out!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
At Bonneville they are not going ***** out during the first mile of the run....
Exactly, the one mile marker was not their intent in this video, I only posted it to show the car's speed ability, as footage of the car is quite rare....

Those cars are not geared for that.
Geared for what? A perfect balance of transmission and rear end gearing, along with 1000+HP, will net any car those speeds in the one mile. Do you know what Bank's was running in this video, in reference to gearing....?

I highly doubt the Banks car went 228 at the end of the first mile. On top of that, there is not enough traction available on the salt to accelerate to 230 MPH in one mile....
Again, I posted the video to embellish on the car, as there isn't much live footage out there of it. It is obvious that the driver didn't "nail" it from the beginning on the salt flats, he had to ease into it, otherwise, well, we all know what would have happened if he did (which is why all of the car's that run on the salt flats require a "push" to get the car rolling). Standing miles were never their intent that day, but to imply that this car couldn't match, or better, the "Supra's" in the one mile is absolutely ridiculous....

Last edited by Street Lethal; 10-14-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

I remember that car back in highschool. Amazing even still today IMHO. Seems like I remember Stringfellow holding records in jetcars or something like that.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

^ Do you remember Calloway's Sledge-Hammer? Now that is a car that I would like to see run the standing mile....

Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 AM

Geared for what? A perfect balance of transmission and rear end gearing, along with 1000+HP, will net any car those speeds in the one mile. Do you know what Bank's was running in this video, in reference to gearing....?
I just meant that the Banks car is not geared for a 1 mile ***** out run. I'm sure they could change the rear-end and tranny gears to maximize acceleration for 1 mile and have the RPMs top out at the end of one mile, making the car much quicker to the 1 mile marker. Clearly a car geared to run 300 MPH is not going to match up well to a car that is maxing out at the 1 mile marker.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

^ This is one of the low points for projects that were built way back then, as they weren't really detailed appropriately for the readers. I remember reading that the Trans Am was essentially stock, in reference to it's rearend, but with a modified 5-speed transmission. When Stringfellow got back To Banks after a few test runs, although the car had reached those speeds already, Roger Lamb was brought in to touch up the suspension and brakes, mainly because of Stringfellow's feedback, for better overall control....

Please don't get me wrong, I give credit where credit is due, and that is one fast Toyota Supra. But there have definitely been cars that have come long before it's advent, that would have smashed that record to bits. If only the people who had access to GM's toybox back then explored the standing mile though, that's the problem. So yeah, it's never really been proven, but there is no doubt in my mind that there are a few of those project car's that would have bettered a 228. I remember the "Conan Corvette"; Rumor had it that Calloway wanted to slap on twin turbo's onto Ryan Falconer's engine, my goodness what the car would have been capable of. "If only".....

Old 10-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Wow that motor is awesome...
Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Exactly, the one mile marker was not their intent in this video, I only posted it to show the car's speed ability, as footage of the car is quite rare....

Again, I posted the video to embellish on the car, as there isn't much live footage out there of it. It is obvious that the driver didn't "nail" it from the beginning on the salt flats, he had to ease into it, otherwise, well, we all know what would have happened if he did (which is why all of the car's that run on the salt flats require a "push" to get the car rolling). Standing miles were never their intent that day, but to imply that this car couldn't match, or better, the "Supra's" in the one mile is absolutely ridiculous....
Okay, so if this car ever attempted a sanctioned, standing mile race, then it would beat this Supra... Fine.

It hasn't.

... Thus, why the Supra has the current record instead.

Another item to note... Standard equipment:

This Supra is running a 2JZ block, The Vipers were running their V10, etc.

You're gonna compare that beastly, NON-mass produced (not OEM) block and all its bells and whistles to these cars? Kinda dumb, IMO.

I wonder how well the GTA would do against these standing mile street cars if it had to keep the '87 350 V8 block that came with the car...

Last edited by bboyferal; 10-14-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Resident

Fixed.

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
That would be a fast quarter mile burnout. Damn.

He was getting ready to deploy the chute in the rear to slow down. Looks like he wanted more time

That's a bad bitch.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tx boys wreckin!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I wonder how well the GTA would do against these standing mile street cars if it had to keep the '87 350 V8 block that came with the car...
Apparently, you don't know too much in reference to the Third Generation World, as I can name quite a few LB9 (305) "Turbo" inspired cars running in the low 9's, and would easily match that Supra's standing mile run. However, if your looking for a Third Generation turbo inspired L98 "GTA" that would WIPE THE FLOOR WITH THAT SUPRA, all you needed to do was ask. Here you go;

Click here, Click Here, then finally, Click Here....