Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Tommy Banh's 228 Texas Mile video

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Okay, so if this car ever attempted a sanctioned, standing mile race, then it would beat this Supra... Fine. It hasn't.
Remember though, if the country were predominantly made up of 1/8th mile tracks, with 2 or 3 states employing a 1/4 mile track, and a car was known to be the "fastest" 1/4 mile street racer in the country, that isn't really saying much, now is it? My point? Well, here in New York/New Jersey, we don't have many standing miles to choose from, nor is it that big of a deal, to be honest. So, whether the car's here, employing their original engines can top that Supra's run in the standing mile will never really be known, but that's not to say that they couldn't though. Now, I already gave credit where credit was due, and that Supra is very very fast....

So, B-fer-real, boy....
Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

That T/A was sick! Yeah, I've seen guys getting 900hp on those Supra motors stock longblock. Either way, those cars are too hard to drive on the street because I would be floored all the time!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Remember though, if the country were predominantly made up of 1/8th mile tracks, with 2 or 3 states employing a 1/4 mile track, and a car was known to be the "fastest" 1/4 mile street racer in the country, that isn't really saying much, now is it? My point? Well, here in New York/New Jersey, we don't have many standing miles to choose from, nor is it that big of a deal, to be honest. So, whether the car's here, employing their original engines can top that Supra's run in the standing mile will never really be known, but that's not to say that they couldn't though. Now, I already gave credit where credit was due, and that Supra is very very fast....

So, B-fer-real, boy....
You need to get out more - Cars from all over come to this event or the one in NC. The farthest I seen come is from Hawaii.

So get in your car and drive it ain't that far.

LSR cars are purpose built just as drag cars. Almost all the cars that come to these events are true street cars not geared for 1/4 mile or 5 miles of boonevile.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM
master of the "jack"stand

While on the subject, here is Jim's (from Speed Inc.) twin turbo LT1 Camaro. He drove it from Chicago to the event in NC and got 21 MPG on the way. Car also has full interior and A/C. Jim also did an excellent job tuning my car.

Standing mile, 199.4 MPH.

http://www.ls1speed.com/movies/intmd8_199.wmv

Last edited by ChevyWeatherman; 10-15-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

So, B-fer-real, boy....
You could have alot or a few around you, personally... That doesn't change the fact, whether you think it's a worthy title or not, that this Supra IS the current fastest standing mile car.

Personally, I think it is a "big deal" title... As somebody mentioned, it is pretty popular, whether or not it is to you.

The cars in the competition are running standard equipment blocks. You posted a car that runs the Salt Flats with a BBC Banks TT to say there is a faster car in the standing mile... That's pretty dumb, IMO.

No one's saying you didn't give credit to the Supra. I'm just saying you're bringing in apples to oranges comparisons... If you want to compare a car to these cars, then let's talk about one equipped with an OEM block that was factory to the car... What you're doing is like comparing an F-body with a BBC into a discussion of F-body's with LS1's drag racing, saying the BBC one is so much better, and though it runs in a different class, it would beat the LS1 F-body's if it ran them... You don't think that's pretty dumb?

Last edited by bboyferal; 10-16-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

You could have alot or a few around you, personally... That doesn't change the fact, whether you think it's a worthy title or not, that this Supra IS the current fastest standing mile car.

Personally, I think it is a "big deal" title... As somebody mentioned, it is pretty popular, whether or not it is to you.

The cars in the competition are running standard equipment blocks. You posted a car that runs the Salt Flats with a BBC Banks TT to say there is a faster car in the standing mile... That's pretty dumb, IMO.

No one's saying you didn't give credit to the Supra. I'm just saying you're bringing in apples to oranges comparisons... If you want to compare a car to these cars, then let's talk about one equipped with an OEM block that was factory to the car... What you're doing is like comparing an F-body with a BBC into a discussion of F-body's with LS1's drag racing, saying the BBC one is so much better, and though it runs in a different class, it would beat the LS1 F-body's if it ran them... You don't think that's pretty dumb?
agreed!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Pimp

There have been much faster already in the past bro Twin Turbo '87 Trans Am....
In a mile?? Didn't think so..
Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Apparently, you don't know too much in reference to the Third Generation World, as I can name quite a few LB9 (305) "Turbo" inspired cars running in the low 9's, and would easily match that Supra's standing mile run. However, if your looking for a Third Generation turbo inspired L98 "GTA" that would WIPE THE FLOOR WITH THAT SUPRA, all you needed to do was ask. Here you go;

Click here, Click Here, then finally, Click Here....
HAAHAHHAHAHAH

I can't believe I missed this post...

Buddy, sorry to break it to you... But in spite of some nice third gen vids, you will never find an '87 Firebird, even gutted, that runs sevens in the quarter mile like a Supra or F-body LS1 can with the OEM engine block... You think nines are enough to catch a high powered Supra? LOLOLOLOL WOW you don't know much.

Moreover, how the HELL do you know this TA can beat the Supra from the OP's link in the standing mile? Have you seen it run a standing mile before? Please, give me a break. There was absolutely NO POINT in posting those vids other than to see a nice third gen... It contributes nothing to this thread, and is a ****-POOR example of a potential car that could beat this Supra at the standing mile...!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

i think a lot of people don't quite realize that this particular supra is also making around 1400rwhp and 1000ftlbs of torque. he did start in first gear and didn't get traction til the very end of third and into 4th gear. he had say a set of 15 inch wheels with 28 inch drag radials on the back he probably could have gone faster as he might have hooked up quicker and been able to hit 6th gear. either way a full interior full weight car runnin 230 is impressive regardless of make or model.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM

Tommy Banh had road racing slicks on the car and passed through the traps at 9300rpms.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

And the 3rd gen nut hugger award goes to "Street Lethal".... Those cars are generally a rattle trap, poorly built, no where near the quality of a 4th gen. Oh and the engines sucked. The only one I cared for was the white GTA GN powered turbo V6 model.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
And the 3rd gen nut hugger award goes to "Street Lethal".... Those cars are generally a rattle trap, poorly built, no where near the quality of a 4th gen. Oh and the engines sucked. The only one I cared for was the white GTA GN powered turbo V6 model.
Quoted for truth.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by &REY
Currently worlds fastest street car in one mile @ 228MPH....

There have been much faster already in the past bro Twin Turbo '87 Trans Am....
Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Pimp

God damn!! Third Gen guys coming from left field to defend a title they never had makes _Zac LOL!

Seriously guys thats the fastest one mile STREET car according to the world. If you have any proof otherwise please show it to someone with taste in automotive style and they will in turn relay the information to us. Thanks for stopping by!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _Zac
God damn!! Third Gen guys coming from left field to defend a title they never had makes _Zac LOL!

Seriously guys thats the fastest one mile STREET car according to the world. If you have any proof otherwise please show it to someone with taste in automotive style and they will in turn relay the information to us. Thanks for stopping by!

LOL!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
While on the subject, here is Jim's (from Speed Inc.) twin turbo LT1 Camaro. He drove it from Chicago to the event in NC and got 21 MPG on the way. Car also has full interior and A/C. Jim also did an excellent job tuning my car.

Standing mile, 199.4 MPH.

http://www.ls1speed.com/movies/intmd8_199.wmv
Yes that was awesome and less than 900rwhp I'm sure with 1200rwhp that thing can break the 220mph Mark.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Pimp

Doubt it..
Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Apparently, you don't know too much in reference to the Third Generation World, as I can name quite a few LB9 (305) "Turbo" inspired cars running in the low 9's, and would easily match that Supra's standing mile run. However, if your looking for a Third Generation turbo inspired L98 "GTA" that would WIPE THE FLOOR WITH THAT SUPRA, all you needed to do was ask. Here you go;

Click here, Click Here, then finally, Click Here....
just so you know that trans am is no L98 powered car. its a 540" donovan block that is procharged.
check it out sometime, you might learn what your talking about before you post stuff that you dont really know
http://pollymotorsport.no/index.php?...0617dd077dae99
Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Yes that was awesome and less than 900rwhp I'm sure with 1200rwhp that thing can break the 220mph Mark.
I don't think it 1200 rwhp would be enough... I say 1300+ rwhp at least.

Then we run into another problem... An LT1 getting him there... I don't think that 220+ mph run is very likely for that specific car, badass as it is, IMO.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
master of the "jack"stand

I don't think it 1200 rwhp would be enough... I say 1300+ rwhp at least.

Then we run into another problem... An LT1 getting him there... I don't think that 220+ mph run is very likely for that specific car, badass as it is, IMO.
I'm pretty sure 1200 rwhp would get Jim's car past 220. Here is what he said after his 199.4 run:

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Well, we made it. Took 18 hours to get there through the rain and traffic.

I made the 125 and 150mph licensing runs and was going for the 175 run. Their is a 10mph buffer but over that and you are done.

The car makes 890rwhp at 24lbs of boost, 850rwhp on 22lbs of boost, and 790rwhp at 19lbs of boost.

For the first full run I thought 19lbs of boost would be a good starting point, since there are absolutely no aero modifications done to the car. I was wrong, since the first full run ended up with 199.4mph. (which ended my weekend of racing).

The speedo needle stuck at 150+ after that run, I had to disassemble the cluster to pull it back around.

I had a great time regardless of getting booted. The ECTA put on a great event. Very professional and well organized. Thanks to Keith Turk for borrowing me his fire jacket, and not being too hard on me after breaking tech speed.

The drive was LONG, especially in the rain. The car ran great though, and was getting 20.5mpg @85mph. It was alot of fun through the mountains too.
I think 400 more wheel horsepower gets you 20 MPH at that point. I know its tough to overcome each MPH, especially at those speeds and the limited space...but I think it would do it.