Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

little clip of the 5.3 boosted fairmont on a cold night

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default little clip of the 5.3 boosted fairmont on a cold night

http://www.neufamily.org/03vids/lastdayatmam.wmv

remember stock 5.3 longblock. only thing the motor has is a 01zo6 cam and springs. we paid $250 for this motor.

we were going for a new best but the traction just went away before we could put it all together. also we need a speed or time based boost controler so we can hit it a little softer off the line and then crank it up later.

first run shows us letting off at the 330 mark. car pulled a 1.39 60'

next run shows us launching from idle but making a full run. ran a 6.57@113 with a 1.83 60'.

we pulled a .44 better 60' on the first run. take that off of the 2nd run and i think the car has a 6.13 in it

bench race a little more and convert that to 1/4 mile and the car would appear to have a 9.60 in it. sure i know it is all just bench racing. we did run a 9.96 on a 95deg day with a 6.35 1/8th so it seems like the numbers are in line. it was cold last night.

i know we didn't do it but dont those numbers seem nuts for a stock longblock 5.3 in a 3200lb car?

hp calc based on the 113.2mph shows "Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 721.36 flywheel HP and 649.224 rear wheel HP. "
Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are doing an unbelievable job with that little 5.3! I follow your progress on the little fairmont religiously! I am basing my next build after your proven combination. 1.39 is damn good @ 3200 lbs. and limited traction.

I have a tube chassis 67' Camaro that will be getting the same junkyard variety turbo 5.3. The blown BBC is coming out, tired of owning a trailer queen. My car should weigh around 2700 Lbs. when finished. It should be light enough to run easy 9's and tame enough to drive regularly.
My goal is to humble my drag strip buddies with their big blocks and high compression with my little junkyard 30,000 mile truck motor.
I do have a few questions about my setup.
Like you I plan to use the factory truck intake, zo6 cam (2002), ported heads, 55# injectors, msd, and mega-squirt, S-400 turbo.

I currently have the electronic throttle body. What is needed to change over to the cable operated one besides the throttle body itself? Throttle position sensor etc. Did you use the factory engine harness and modify it or did you use a custom one? I would like to keep my build low budget and modify my factory one myself, plus that's half the fun!
Also what sensors are needed with the turbo application, and which are not needed.
I am relatively new to fuel injection, I know the basics but not enough to know what I need for a boosted application.
Any answers would really help point me in the right direction.
Thanks You.

Last edited by quik67; 11-03-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:48 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i forgot we drove the car to and from the track.

if your going to squirt it you just bolt on the cable tb and wire it up. to run the squirt you will need all the stuff you would need if it were na. tps, coolant temp sensor, iat sensor, vacume/boost line to the squirts map, rpm signial(msd box works well). there is a bit or wireing to make it all work but it's not bad.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info
I have a lot to do and a lot of parts to work with so i will start sorting things out.