TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ you win
Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
^^^^ you win
The most photoshoped pic on the internet!

I'd be curious to see what the picture looked like raw A little too much for my taste
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brian2006
It is HDR.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tpduke112
It is HDR.
A photoshopped HDR. That definitely doesn't appear to be a true HDR. I could be wrong though
Old 05-17-2008, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

If an "HDR" image is made from a single exposure it is actually just a tone mapped image. If a single image is created from multiple exposures it is HDR. And even then it still needs to be tone mapped to be viewed on CRT and LCD monitors. This is a real HDR image. It was created using three 16-bit RAW images of varying exposures and combining them into one 32-bit image. Then it was tone mapped and reduced to 8-bit (JPG) so it could be visible on your/my monitor. This image looks more like the "HDR" images you tend to see on the internet. But, it was created using one 8-bit JPG image. Therefore it is not HDR. It is tone mapped.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by amsterdamn
If an "HDR" image is made from a single exposure it is actually just a tone mapped image. If a single image is created from multiple exposures it is HDR. And even then it still needs to be tone mapped to be viewed on CRT and LCD monitors. This is a real HDR image. It was created using three 16-bit RAW images of varying exposures and combining them into one 32-bit image. Then it was tone mapped and reduced to 8-bit (JPG) so it could be visible on your/my monitor. This image looks more like the "HDR" images you tend to see on the internet. But, it was created using one 8-bit JPG image. Therefore it is not HDR. It is tone mapped.
Thank you
Old 05-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Launching!

I didnt know that. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian2006

I'd be curious to see what the picture looked like raw A little too much for my taste
totally agree, looks like people using photoshop that dont really know how to use it....but ws six, that is one badass pic looks like you'll be one of the finalists
Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

That image has been on here (POM) before, but it was un-photoshopped, and it made the finals as well.....
Old 05-18-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a question...
Is the pic of the real HDR tone mapped?

I thought that HDR was suppost to allow you to take a picture of an inside a building, with windows in the background, and be able to keep good detail on both the interior of the building and in the windows. It seems most of the good information on HDR seems to relate this to taking pictures of the inside of a church w/ stained glass windows. With out HDR it would be hard to keep good detail of the inside objects, and allow for good detail in the stained glass picture.

How come in that picture the windows look overexposed? Was it because of the exposure levels the photographer used?

I understand why you posted what you did... Just to draw a point that a tone mapped image is not HDR, and that some HDR images do not have that extreme look. IMO, HDR is a tool for photographers to use in really harsh lighting conditions.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

let's try this again...
Old 05-18-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only Photoshop was the border and slight color fix due to the exposure level:

Last edited by HibachiZ28; 05-18-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a FWIW: You can create an HDR out of "1" image. You have to shoot in RAW. You then take the RAW image and create 2 new images. One with an exposure value of -2 and the other with an exposure value of +2. Make sure that while you are saving them, it does NOT save the file info or it will retain the original RAW image info for all 3 photos. Make sense?

The above helps for those shots where you cannot bracket your exposures due to movement in the frame or other related issues.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
Just a FWIW: You can create an HDR out of "1" image. You have to shoot in RAW. You then take the RAW image and create 2 new images. One with an exposure value of -2 and the other with an exposure value of +2. Make sure that while you are saving them, it does NOT save the file info or it will retain the original RAW image info for all 3 photos. Make sense?

The above helps for those shots where you cannot bracket your exposures due to movement in the frame or other related issues.
That's what they are talking about, if you use one image it isn't real HDR.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice and simple
Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by H21surfer
I have a question...
Is the pic of the real HDR tone mapped?

I thought that HDR was suppost to allow you to take a picture of an inside a building, with windows in the background, and be able to keep good detail on both the interior of the building and in the windows. It seems most of the good information on HDR seems to relate this to taking pictures of the inside of a church w/ stained glass windows. With out HDR it would be hard to keep good detail of the inside objects, and allow for good detail in the stained glass picture.

How come in that picture the windows look overexposed? Was it because of the exposure levels the photographer used?

I understand why you posted what you did... Just to draw a point that a tone mapped image is not HDR, and that some HDR images do not have that extreme look. IMO, HDR is a tool for photographers to use in really harsh lighting conditions.
I created that HDR image and it is tone mapped. In one of the original RAW images you can clearly see outside of the window. I'm just relatively new to HDR and I'm still learning how to do it properly.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
That's what they are talking about, if you use one image it isn't real HDR.
Yah I was just clarifying. Too many people think taking literally one image and using Tone Mapping or Photoshops Shadows/Highlights tool creates an HDR.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I created that HDR image and it is tone mapped. In one of the original RAW images you can clearly see outside of the window. I'm just relatively new to HDR and I'm still learning how to do it properly.
Oh ok, I am still learning too. Google is my friend.