New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First LS1

Hi Im looking at a 98 camaro. With about 130k on it. Im trying to get the car for $2000 all I have right now lol. Anyway the car was running good but seddenly lost all oil pressure and then developed a noise. The car is 200 miles away so Id have to drive to hear the exact noise. Ball park what it might be spun rod or wrist pin? Maybe a collapsed lifter. Anyway I can rebuild it and I figure close to a grand for a stock rebuild. My concern is the block and heads how do they hold up to lack of oil and or a little overheating. If the car did overheat a tad would it warp the alumnum head or block. Im naturally going to do a leak down test and compression test if I see it but Im not so sure that will tell all. He said it doesnt smoke so I dont think it blew a hold in the piston or is burning coolant.
Thanks Dan-
Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

If the car is your only form of transportation and you would spend the last $2K you have on it, you need to move on. What are your plans for the car, play car or ???
Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 AM

No i have a mustang that Ive been driving. Im 18 now and when I was 16 my grandparents gave their 1 owner 66 mustang. I love that car and I dont wanna wreck it also Im going off to college next year. So I came across this it attracted my attention because my family is all mechanically inclined as am I. I have the 2 grand and about a grand to rebuild it just wondering if that would be engough. The idea is instead of buying a higher mileage engine car when I go to college (I would still want a camaro or firebird) I could rebuild this for about three have a nice clean car with a new engine. Ive money for college but Im not gunna touch that for a car. Besides all this I rode in my buddys 00 z28 compared to a 3.8 firebird.... and lets just say I gotta hacve the ls1.
Thanks Dan-