Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to purchase this WS6, strange lack of power, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noriceinside
sorry if i sounded like an *******, i have a very sarcastic sense of humor.
Thats ok, I'm moving to Santa Clarita in a few months. So I'll see you out there and we'll settle this on the street.

The reason I'm buying this car? I love the look of Formulas WAY better, this car is 1 of 233 Fomula WS6's, and my TA has an repo Ram Air hood that makes me want to puke. I need the real thing.

You actually think I'll come across a car like this again? A fomula Ws6 in my fav color in amazing condition for great price within 30 miles of where I live? I think not.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

check the rear end code for sure my buddys dads car is way slower than my z and his trans am. his dads camaro has lower gears in the rear in and makes it ***** slows and he has a built trans just figured that out not too long ago
Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by noriceinside
oh wait yeah there is its call a PCM. if you dont have a check engine light theres nothing wrong with any sensors.
That's not true. The mass airflow sensor went in my car and it didn't pull a check engine light. I'd check the air filter/mass airflow sensor and see if they are clogged up.

But, there are hundreds of reasons for performance loss..
Old 10-25-2008, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

dude if you can afford the car and sell the TA and come out close to even then do it man...i agree the formula WS6's are more bad *** and much more rare the the TA WS6..plus hes already started modding so you are a step ahead....dont worry about how it "feels" get someone to drive your car on a test drive and match em up...

do what makes you happy
Old 10-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Well I bought the car, it is absolutley bad ***. This is how a Firebird should look in my opinion. Formula body, WS6, Navy midnight blue, factory hurst shifter and 12 disc, and a 6 speed, 35k miles. The car is SO nice and the price was super resonable. All I gotta do now is swap the leather interior from my TA into the formula, I can't stand cloth.

Driving the Formula home by myself, there is something defintely goin on. It feels like its choking for gas or air in the low to mid range rpms. My TA would spank the Formula in a race right now, and it shouldn't be that way.

That's not true. The mass airflow sensor went in my car and it didn't pull a check engine light. I'd check the air filter/mass airflow sensor and see if they are clogged up.
Actually I have to tear into my TA because the water pump is leaking, so while I'm in there I'm gonna take the mass airflow sensor and put it on the formula and see what that does. The TA will be a donor car till I get this problem figured out.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BitchinBird
Well I bought the car, it is absolutley bad ***. All I gotta do now is swap the leather interior from my TA into the formula, I can't stand cloth.

Driving the Formula home by myself, there is something defintely goin on. It feels like its choking for gas or air in the low to mid range rpms. My TA would spank the Formula in a race right now, and it shouldn't be that way.
That seems like a smart buy...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Teching In

For anyone who reads this old thread in the future cause they are encountering a similar ' lack of power '.... I replaced the mass air flow sensor... problem fixed.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you! You went with your hunch that something minor was up with the car, were observant enough to notice in the first place, took a chance and got a GREAT car for YOUR price!!! Sounds like you got your ideal f body. I love it when things turn out like this!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Good for you! You went with your hunch that something minor was up with the car, were observant enough to notice in the first place, took a chance and got a GREAT car for YOUR price!!! Sounds like you got your ideal f body. I love it when things turn out like this!
Hugs??

How about some pictures of new aquisition? A friend of mine bought a '95 Mustang GT that was having similar problems. It was so dog slow I beat him horribly with my old 3.8 V6 Mustang. After he slapped a new MAF on it, the thing ran like a raped ape and put buslenghts on me.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Couple things;

1. With only having 35,000 miles the car was obviously babied meaning the owner probably didn't get on it a lot and drove it like a grandma. If you are running your TA hard (not beating it up, but on it alot) the computer will learn to your driving style and will make small adjustments to the fuel and spark curve. It will be VERY minor though.

2. The owner could have been a cheap *** and put 87 octane in it or.... with the car sitting a lot the gas in it could be old.

3. The spark plugs may have only 35,000 miles on them but they are 10 years old.

I'd replace the plugs and wires with AC Delco GM stuff (get the red 8.5mm GM race wires) run a few tanks of 93 octane through it, then check to see if feels like it improved.

Word of caution, take it easy on the car and don't start running the **** out of it. Slowly bring it back to a normal car's driving routine. A car that sits that all of a sudden is then driven aggressively will start dropping parts left and right, gasket seals (oil leaks), sensors, water pumps, etc. This is the one down side to buying cars with ultra low miles but won't be a problem if you're smart about it.

What year is this 98, 99 or 00? I don't remember the numbers but if an 00 that's REALLY rare.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BitchinBird
Its a 6-speed WS6 and has a 3.42 axle ratio. Thats the first thing that came to my mind was possibly a different gear ratio but its the same as my 6-speed stock TA 3.42.

I think it probably lost a little on the bottom, but I may be over reacting on just how much it lost. It felt like alot, but there was a passenger in the car, and overall the car felt different than mine.

But I will probably buy it. Its a Formula WS6 at a really good price in an excellent color in excellent condition. I'll probably never come across a car like this again.
how big was the passenger? did you check the trunk for bodies or a couple hundred pounds of black tar heroin?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel filter. Change it. You'll see a difference there.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? Leather as well?