New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam questions: how much? Labor costs? Will I get robbed of gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008 | 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Cam questions: how much? Labor costs? Will I get robbed of gas mileage?

I wanna put a cam in my caR but I'm a cam noob. I don't know what it even does exactly, just that it makes u go fast. So feel free to tell me how it works. What the best brand/kind etc? Price? Cost of labor and if it's an easy diy. And will it consume more gas? Thanks
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Woahhhh Buddy.

First off I think you need to read a bit more before jumping into something. A cam change should not be your first mod; start with bolt-ons maybe. A cam change will not be a do it yourself job for someone who doesn't know much about cars.
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

how a camshaft works

when you install a cam, you also need to have the computer tuned for it. if done right, even with a big cam your gas mileage shouldn't suffer much.

i know i went from around 28mpg highway to 25/26mpg highway. my city ranges from 17-20mpg depending on exactly how many short trips i make.
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:58 AM
Banned

Its an easy job really if you know how to turn a wrench. As far as gas consumption it all depends on how much you have your foot into to feel your new found power.
Lot and lots of people on here tackle the cam swap who have never done it before. There are a few really good right ups and plenty of help on the board. In addition I offer a cam swap tool package rental with the specialty tools required to make it easier.

BUT as the others have stated you should look at other mods... like the supporting mods to a bigger cam. It will need air to breath so you will need to improve upon those things as well..... like that ls1 intake you have. Then it will want some improvement on the exhaust side so headers will be in order. You can go with a cam to gain more Hp but not have to do all the supporting mods, you'll gain a few extra ponies but nothing compared to a full swap with supporting mods. Pm me for more help if you need it.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-22-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2008 | 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have any other mods? If not first you should get a Stall/headers/lid/ LS6 intake and maybe a set of 3:42 gears. The stall will really wake your car up And you'll need it for when you get cammed. Do you have any power goals or et goals your tring to reach? Good luck bro.

Last edited by LSWONGTO; 10-22-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2008 | 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lid, headers, catback (optional but helps) LS6 or better IM, Stall (for any decent sized cam), THEN pick out a cam. And don't forget the the tune. Go to internal and read the cam stickys and almost every question you have will be covered.

Yes you will lose some MPG but I did my stall first and that is the big MPG killer, not the cam if it is well tuned.

Have FUN
Old 10-22-2008 | 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Lid, headers, catback (optional but helps) LS6 or better IM, Stall (for any decent sized cam), THEN pick out a cam. And don't forget the the tune. Go to internal and read the cam stickys and almost every question you have will be covered.

Yes you will lose some MPG but I did my stall first and that is the big MPG killer, not the cam if it is well tuned.

Have FUN

Quick Reply: Cam questions: how much? Labor costs? Will I get robbed of gas mileage?