New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air in, boom, air out. i want synergy. confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 12:08 AM
Teching In

Default air in, boom, air out. i want synergy. confused!!

the big question is, what order should i plan things? choose heads, design exhaust, then grind cam? i feel like there should be some step where i calculate exactly how much air i'll be getting with the ported 90/90 and head combo, and how much air i'll be pushing out with the exhaust setup. i feel like there should be a step where i figure all that out before i grind the cam.

AND i want to do a cold air/ram air setup (dunno which it falls under) in the style of madman's big gulp. it can't be that hard. sheet aluminum and a couple welder buddies. but i dunno if that would need to be factored into the cam?

and how do you measure this? do dyno runs with a "closest guess" cam and then refine the specs to match your setup perfectly?

now, i want to make a high 400 rwhp. like 470-490.
here is what's already on the car, power wise

from front to rear

slp lid
stock tb
ls6 intake
ls6 pistons
comp cams 238/242 .610 .605 112lsa
241 heads
hooker super comps 1-7/8 headers
pacesetter offroad y
custom fab from there back, no cats, cutout after axle. not sure of diameter

i am planning on replacing all the respiratory organs. and yeah, supporting suspension, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, rear end. tires. as far as what's on it now, what can i keep? what doesn't need to be replaced? im hoping the headers are good enough for high 400s. that might be it though. =/

some insights/suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by krylon; 10-30-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2008 | 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your best bet is a computer program called Desktop Dyno