Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER mysterious sound...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER mysterious sound...

A while back, i sent out my original TB and received a ported n polished one. Ever since i installed it, i haven't pushed the car to the limit. Recently, i went out racing for a few hours. On my way back home, i notice a WHISTLING sound coming from the front end. Whenever i press down on acceleration, the whistling gets louder. You can hear air with the whistling noise. I'm not sure if this is what a leak sounds like. I never had this problem when i had my original TB. You can hear the sound pretty clear if u listen around the area of the glove-compartment. The next morning, i'll fire the car up.. NO MORE NOISE. But if i WOT while driving, it'll come back. The idle seems off as well... a little higher than usual. Anyone?? I'm afraid to take the car out for another race-night. Help me out please.

If my description doesn't sound legit, i'll put up a video of it.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Launching!

re-check the clamps, make sure the TB is seated all the way around. Def. sounds like an air leak
Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, i'll make sure it's settled nice in its spot tomorrow morning. My question is, if that's the case, why do i only hear the whistle AFTER i WOT... if i don't WOT, it sounds normal...?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

well i took the TB apart and put it back in, even sealed all the crevices. Sounds normal, till i WOT 2 or 3 times, then i get that annoying whistle.

Can it be that I received a 98-99 TB when my car is an 02? Can the issue be due to this?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

My buddy has a turbo'd car and after we installed a larger intercooler we had a whistling noise, turned out after chasing it for days that it was a band clamp not completely tight. It was crooked just a hair and even when it was seemingly tight it would let air come and go. I would check the seal between the TB and intake manifold and all of your connections from the airbox to the TB. I dont think the year TB would matter.