Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES light

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 04:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES light

Mine came on while drag racing Friday night. It stayed on for a few start up cycles and has since disappeared (later that same night).

1) Do I still need to have the code checked out, and is that one Autozone or similar can do for free?

2) What's the worst an SES light could be? Most of the emissions stuff is off my car is deleted to begin with. No cats, no EGR, and no AIR.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: SES light

Yes go to autozone to see what it is to be on the safe side. Do you have 02 simms? or the codes deleated? Because if you dont have cats your car will throw a SES light. If it is one of the emmisoins things it will not effect performance, just be annoying little yellow light
Old 09-21-2003, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was blinking, this woul indicate a misfire
Old 09-21-2003, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

If the code turned itself off it wont be there if you check it by OBDII generic mode, which is how Autozone scans them, if you go in under vin # specific mode it might be in the historical codes.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it might be p0300...random misfire
if you have a cam that has a large overlap and a high lift you can get those from time to time.
dont know if you can do anything to correct it or not.

and it doesnt always blink when it happens....blinking is if its severe and there is something really wrong.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Hey guys, my 2000 Z28 M6 has the SES light on too. The first time it came on I unhooked the cats and plugged in the O2sims and the light went out. Then a few days later it came on agian with the sims still plugged in. Just bought the car and it idles @900-1000rpms with a slight burble. Dont know if it has a cam, how can I tell. Do these cars all idle the same?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Stock internals and it didn't flash. It came on around 5000 rpm's in second gear. I pulled back into the parking lot, shut it off, and restarted it. Light was still on. Shut it off, left it off for a couple minutes, light was still on. Stopped at the gas station on the way home for a drink, light didn't come back on when I started it up. Go figure.