New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003 | 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Couple of questions.

Here's the info on the car first, and foremost. 1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6. M6. 68k miles. Since purchasing the car I have done most of the free mods. I have also installed a Pro 5.0, TSP clear lid, K&N Filter, and attempted to program the car with my HPP3. I live in Florida which isn't exactly cool weather too.

I have a couple of questions:
I have noticed the car pinging a bit high up in the rpms. I installed the HPP3, and the pinging got MUCH worse with the power programming. My guess is that it just jacks the timing up. I only run 93 octane also.

So today I pulled 2 plugs to see what the previous owner had installed. They are Bosch platinum +2's. They're about the most pathetic looking plug I've ever seen. The electrode was tiny. So I have it planned to get a set of NGK Irridiums. (so I don't have to change them again for a while.)

The car also has a bit of a rough idle. Nothing major, it's just not as smooth as I feel it should be. So basically I'm just looking for a bit of guidence to get the car running better. I'm planning on purchasing a 160* T-stat. Would that really help my pinging? I apologize for my newbie-ish questions. I'm new to the domestic side, and I'd like to have my car running up to par before I really start modding.

Also I did a good bit of searching before I posted this. I'm aware of message board etiquette

Old 09-21-2003 | 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Couple of questions.

From what I've heard, the HPP3 is garbage...it's no wonder that your car ran worse with it. I think you're on the right track, the low temp stat is a good idea and may help your pinging - the plugs are a good idea, too, they'll probably help your rough idle. Make sure your fans are programmed or switched to take advantage of the lower temp stat.

...and welcome to the dark side
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

yep the HPP3 all that it does is bump up the timing I would use it just for fan settings and other things, not tuning
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:45 PM
8 Second Club

If its pinging its becaus eit is running lean at WOT...
richen up the mixture if you can...Might take ls1 edit to do it....
a lot of tuners will do air/fuel and tuning for $450-$500(not all...some cheaper..some more expensive)
have fun.