New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Type of oil? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did an oil change this morning and put in some GC.
It sounds like I have 2 dozen hamsters on coke running around in my top end.
Lifter tick like a mother ******.
Anyone else had this problem?
Or is it just the good old 2002 LS1?
It's no cold here in Tampa, and its got only 30k on the clock.
-Matt
Old 11-29-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you werent listening for it before the change then itll sound insane when you are listening for it.

My car had Mobil 1 in it before I changed to GC and its noticeably quieter. Are you sure you put in German Castrol or just regular syntec?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bballr4567
If you werent listening for it before the change then itll sound insane when you are listening for it.

My car had Mobil 1 in it before I changed to GC and its noticeably quieter. Are you sure you put in German Castrol or just regular syntec?

It is most definitely more apparent.
Yes it was German Syntec.
Said European formula on the front, and made in Germany on the back .
-Matt
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Probably.

But if it wasn't good oil, it wouldn't be worth any endorsement deal for GM to use it in their vehicles if it was an inferior product and caused premature wear and failure of engines.

No endorsement deal is worth $15,000 in warranty work per car for a new motor.

If it wasn't good oil they wouldn't be putting it in their brand new high performance cars, period.
Not saying its not a good oil, but there is others proven to outperform. Too many people think mobil 1 is the best and need in be informed.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

man go with a mobil one oil or royal purple.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tonyscamaro
Mobil one, if its good enough for the new ZR1 and ZO6 then its good enough for your LS1.
I know that's right
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kbras12
man go with a mobil one oil or royal purple.

Dont do this! ^
Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

castrol syntec 5w30 works good for me.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

German Castrol >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Royal Purple and Mobil 1. 0w30.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brynnda
royal burple
Sucks...Run amsoil..seriously check it out. www.amsoil.com
Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

who supplies Wal Mart with their oil?? who do they get it from before they bottle it
Old 12-04-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAtoad
who supplies Wal Mart with their oil?? who do they get it from before they bottle it
I have no idea, couldn't find it on the bottle.

Either way though its garbage.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no idea, couldn't find it on the bottle.

Either way though its garbage.
well i run it on my DD grand am, and yea it doesnt see much abuse but its an ok oil. and my buddy runs its on his boosted ecotec, no problems there. i could swear at one point a while back i read on here that it was bottled by mobil1. im not saying it was the same oil, but just bottled by them. don't remember correctly tho
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

that is correct, it is now mobile 1 IIRC
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

.......mobile 1
Old 12-11-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAtoad
well i run it on my DD grand am, and yea it doesnt see much abuse but its an ok oil. and my buddy runs its on his boosted ecotec, no problems there. i could swear at one point a while back i read on here that it was bottled by mobil1. im not saying it was the same oil, but just bottled by them. don't remember correctly tho
Thats really not smart to run conventional in a boosted motor.

Whether its S/C or T/C, boost creates a lot of heat, and a boosted motor will easily destroy conventional oil within a couple thousand miles, if not sooner. If you're seeing boost all the time or run at the track, expect to see sludge buildup inside the motor where the oil has broken down.

If its turbocharged, its even worse. Turbos get extremely hot, and conventional oil will "coke" up inside the turbo, destroying both the turbo and often the entire engine.

I'll never understand why anyone would run shitty oil in a performance application, its just plain foolish.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats really not smart to run conventional in a boosted motor.

Whether its S/C or T/C, boost creates a lot of heat, and a boosted motor will easily destroy conventional oil within a couple thousand miles, if not sooner. If you're seeing boost all the time or run at the track, expect to see sludge buildup inside the motor where the oil has broken down.

If its turbocharged, its even worse. Turbos get extremely hot, and conventional oil will "coke" up inside the turbo, destroying both the turbo and often the entire engine.

I'll never understand why anyone would run shitty oil in a performance application, its just plain foolish.

i meant the Supertech Synthetic
Old 12-11-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think people are fooling themselves when it comes to engine oils. Other than the additives that are in them, and whether or not it is synthetic or semi-synthetic etc. it is ridiculous to think that one oil is superior to another.

Why do you think there are so many varying opinions? Because there is no right answer, oil is oil is oil, period. The bottle and how fancy it is, or the name, means nothing. Oil is a fossil fuel and if you knew about the refining process you would see that the name goes to the highest bidder, and the differences are often negligible, or close to it.

Concern yourself with the weight of the oil you are using (depending on season, boosted or not etc.) and whether you want sythetic (great for cold weather starts) or semi-synthetic or not, and avoid the hype of which name is better. It is an age old debate that holds little merit and has more to do with marketing than it it does with real world fact. I can pour liquid **** (just an example) into a vehicle and show you some advantages over oil if I use statistics and numbers! Also, oil does not break down, it gets dirty, and anyone who tells you otherwise is not in the know. Is one to assume that oil get thinner with time and mileage, since "breaking down" would indicate just that? In actuality it gets thicker, due to engine breakdown and deposits accumulating within the oil.

If there was in fact ONE superior oil, the others would simply not be able to compete OR exist. Statistics and studies are very easy to use for anyone who knows how to market. I could tell you that 90 percent of vehicles using Castrol have longer lives than vehicles which are not (what about the other 10 percent?). As the spokesperson of Quaker State, I could choose to point out that the remaining 10 percent have total engine breakdown due to the above mentioned oil not being adequate. How controlled are these studies? Are the vehicles the same ones used in ALL studies or did they use inferior vehicles that are cheaply made to point out the competitors lack of quality in oil? For that matter, no two engines are even alike, so where is the constant variable in these equations, and how accurate could the results be? These are just examples and by no means indicate fact. My point is, stats mean nothing and are simply a form of language used to sell merchandise, an idea or name, end of story. There are FAR too many factors affecting engine breakdown to determine that the only cause could be the oil, so these studies are innacurate and often biased.

Unless a comany is putting something other than oil in their "oil" it is, and always will be, oil.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

You keep thinking that.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
You keep thinking that.

But of course.